Rock Drill or Chainsaw? That is the question.

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Respect the Pod
Just Passing Through

Post by Respect the Pod »

I used to be ll about the chainsaw. Just let 'er rip and walk, easy!

However, after readin' this thread in preparation for yet another playthrough, I think Ima choose the Rock Drill. Compare and contrast, ya know?

I'll return with notes.
I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?

-Zhuangzi
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Respect the Pod wrote:However, after readin' this thread in preparation for yet another playthrough, I think Ima choose the Rock Drill. Compare and contrast, ya know?
silentprincess
Just Passing Through

Post by silentprincess »

Chainsaw!
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Aren't all the secret weapons hard to use and are they really worth messing with?
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Arthemesic wrote:
JuriDawn wrote:Rock drill, hands down. It's the only one of the two with any stopping power; enemies can walk right through the chainsaw's attack.
This reminds me of the Katana's buggy behavior.
I never managed to kill any Clawfingers in the school with it. My aim went slightly off and resulted in me being gangbanged by a bunch of 'em.
Tell me about it, I died so many times since Harry's aim (or my aim) was awful. Eck.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

krakalackin wrote:Aren't all the secret weapons hard to use and are they really worth messing with?
I found the katana hard to use, but not so much the others. The chainsaw wasn't difficult, but it's not as great as the rock drill since it doesn't stop enemies' progress. You can be killing something with a chainsaw and it can be killing you right back. The rock drill, on the other hand, keeps its target at arm's length. You can't move while using it, but you really don't need to. Just stand there and let those nurses impale themselves. 8)

Really, the rock drill almost makes the hospital too easy. The way the floors are usually obstructed or partially missing tends to force nurses to attack you one at a time, so the rock drill makes quick work of them. However, in larger rooms where you might get flanked by multiple enemies, I advise switching to firearms, at least until you've evened the odds.
MAvulture
Just Passing Through

Post by MAvulture »

I found the rock drill far more effective. Just stand facing the enemy and they walk right into it, repeat until they're all dead.
--Master of the moon--
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

JuriDawn wrote:
krakalackin wrote:Aren't all the secret weapons hard to use and are they really worth messing with?
I found the katana hard to use, but not so much the others. The chainsaw wasn't difficult, but it's not as great as the rock drill since it doesn't stop enemies' progress. You can be killing something with a chainsaw and it can be killing you right back. The rock drill, on the other hand, keeps its target at arm's length. You can't move while using it, but you really don't need to. Just stand there and let those nurses impale themselves. 8)

Really, the rock drill almost makes the hospital too easy. The way the floors are usually obstructed or partially missing tends to force nurses to attack you one at a time, so the rock drill makes quick work of them. However, in larger rooms where you might get flanked by multiple enemies, I advise switching to firearms, at least until you've evened the odds.
Thanks for clearing that up! I've never used the rock drill, where is it?
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Re: Rock Drill or Chainsaw? That is the question.

Post by JuriDawn »

>where is it?

GameFAQs is your friend. 8)
TheWetRat wrote:Weapon Name: Rock Drill

Clip Capacity: N/A

Range: Medium Melee

Fire Rate: Slow

Damage: Heavy

Good Against: Nurses/Doctors, Sewer Dwellers

Bad Against: Monkey Men, Zombie Dogs, Flying Enemies

Obtained: After you beat the game, go to the gas station in Next Fear mode and take the gasoline. Then go to the first floor of the drawbridge control building and use the gasoline on the rock drill. Then, take the rock drill.

Notes: The rock drill rocks (what an awful pun)! What sets it apart from the chainsaw is that instead of dealing lots of light damage at once, the rock drill deals slow and heavy blows of MASSIVE damage, and I mean MASSIVE. Just two hits from this thing will destroy any nurse, and three will easily take down a doctor. Plus, it pushes an enemy backwards, preventing them from attacking you while you keep attacking them! Unfortunately, you can't move while using this weapon, making it ineffective when nurses are ganging up on you. Also, like the chainsaw, use of this weapon will hurt your rank, so it shouldn't be used if you want to get a high rank. This would have gotten a
perfect 10/10 from me if not for that.

Final Rank: 9/10