Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 20 Sep 2018




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 10 Nov 2009
Notes left: 117
Last seen at: East Coast
Ryoshockwave wrote:
46n2 wrote:
angelofROOM302 wrote:
This has been talked about a hundred times already.
But yes, I agree. It would be nice to have a remake.
I think SM already killed the timing for a remake though.


I'm inclined to agree about SM nixing that idea. I had initially hoped that SM was an actual remake. You figure that Planet of the Apes would have taught people how horrible re-imagining a beloved story/concept can be :?


Yeah, just one more reason for me to dislike Shattered Memories. And the creators being like "We didn't want to use that story because the movie already used that story". So many things wrong with a statement like that. But yeah, with SM and the movie, there's probably no hope for a true remake now.


If they don't want to use the story then what's the point of using the characters? It's a silly reason. A lot of my ire towards SM is due to it not being a true remake.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 768
Last seen at: Portland, OR
46n2 wrote:
Ryoshockwave wrote:
46n2 wrote:
angelofROOM302 wrote:
This has been talked about a hundred times already.
But yes, I agree. It would be nice to have a remake.
I think SM already killed the timing for a remake though.


I'm inclined to agree about SM nixing that idea. I had initially hoped that SM was an actual remake. You figure that Planet of the Apes would have taught people how horrible re-imagining a beloved story/concept can be :?


Yeah, just one more reason for me to dislike Shattered Memories. And the creators being like "We didn't want to use that story because the movie already used that story". So many things wrong with a statement like that. But yeah, with SM and the movie, there's probably no hope for a true remake now.


If they don't want to use the story then what's the point of using the characters? It's a silly reason. A lot of my ire towards SM is due to it not being a true remake.


Yeah, that's how I see it, too. Why bother using the characters? Or even the name "Silent Hill". A few extra tweaks and it could have been a completely original game. But I guess that would have been too much of a risk. Much safer to make a sequel to a popular franchise, and even more safe to make a "re-imaginating" of a familiar title. That guarantees sales. But, well, I can't say I didn't fall for it...


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 10 Nov 2009
Notes left: 117
Last seen at: East Coast
Ryoshockwave wrote:
46n2 wrote:
Ryoshockwave wrote:
46n2 wrote:
angelofROOM302 wrote:
This has been talked about a hundred times already.
But yes, I agree. It would be nice to have a remake.
I think SM already killed the timing for a remake though.


I'm inclined to agree about SM nixing that idea. I had initially hoped that SM was an actual remake. You figure that Planet of the Apes would have taught people how horrible re-imagining a beloved story/concept can be :?


Yeah, just one more reason for me to dislike Shattered Memories. And the creators being like "We didn't want to use that story because the movie already used that story". So many things wrong with a statement like that. But yeah, with SM and the movie, there's probably no hope for a true remake now.


If they don't want to use the story then what's the point of using the characters? It's a silly reason. A lot of my ire towards SM is due to it not being a true remake.


Yeah, that's how I see it, too. Why bother using the characters? Or even the name "Silent Hill". A few extra tweaks and it could have been a completely original game. But I guess that would have been too much of a risk. Much safer to make a sequel to a popular franchise, and even more safe to make a "re-imaginating" of a familiar title. That guarantees sales. But, well, I can't say I didn't fall for it...


If it didn't share a name and characters, I would have rated SM as a slightly above average game. The "I've been swindled" feeling really left a bad taste in my mouth.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
Timing wise, lets see how silent hill 6 turns out. then work on a remake.

_________________
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Jun 2010
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: Texas, USA
I'm curious to see, actually, what direction they go from here. The more action-y approach of Homecoming didn't sit well, nor did the "re-imagining" of SM it seems. The unfortunate thing about the franchise at this point is that the fans all pretty much know the story behind the town and the order and whatnot, and once you've given away all the secrets, you start to find yourself scrounging for ways to keep things interesting, which is what leads to experiments like The Room.

Perhaps something akin to the second portion of the Dying Inside comic, where you have a group of people all trying to survive in SH, each of them seeing different things/monsters/people. Maybe a kind of Killer 7-esque mode of character switching. The problem there is you still need a "gimmick" to get people hooked again, and to keep them there until the end.

_________________
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Sep 2007
Notes left: 1030
Last seen at: Brisbane, Australia.
Bishop Sasarai wrote:
kaiza killa wrote:
Your statement assumes that remaking the game would require as much time and resources as making a new game. I am no expert, but I would seriously doubt that this is so.

Of course it would require as much time and resources as making a new game. For one thing, fans would be expecting a lot more than a graphical update. People want more areas, more story, more puzzles, etc. Simply making the game look better would require time and money, not to mention updating content that was part of the original game as well as adding new content (which can make or break the remake).

One of the reasons why I'm so against remakes of anything (especially games that are already great, like Silent Hill) is that it's simply a waste of time, energy, and most important of all: money. I never cared for REmake, and I doubt I ever will; I can easily play the original Resident Evil today, as I did when I was 14/15 years old.

Oh, and of course, fans would demand a better combat system for the remake.


This argument is redundant as I was not talking about adding "more areas, more story..." et cetera et cetera et cetera.

I am generally not interested in remakes either, and yes, what I wanted is just a simple "graphical update". It would require money you say? Irrelevant. They could make it, or get someone else to.


H+

_________________
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Aug 2009
Notes left: 556
Last seen at: Shropshire, UK
I don't see this happening unless Konami start getting utterly skint and need more money for the coffers. As great as a remake would be to make it more "pretty" I don't see how much more they could add to the story? In terms of puzzles, extra content/areas maybe?

helldescent wrote:
Timing wise, lets see how silent hill 6 turns out. then work on a remake.


and the man above make a very good point also

_________________
Youma Taisan!


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2008
Notes left: 3453
Last seen at: New Jersey
kaiza killa wrote:
I am generally not interested in remakes either, and yes, what I wanted is just a simple "graphical update". It would require money you say? Irrelevant. They could make it, or get someone else to.

What's the point of that? If a game's going to be remade, it should have more than a graphical update. Why would you need a graphical update, anyway?

It's ultimately nothing more than a waste of time, all simply to please those who have this strange disease where they can't tolerate graphics older than our current generation. If I were Konami, I'd never give into something like that. Hell, even Sony has a policy where games that are ported over to the PSP should have 20% additional content (with very few exceptions, like Breath of Fire III, which barely has new content in the PSP version).

It's already been re-released via the PSN; go download and play that.

_________________
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7982
Last seen at: Nowhere
Quote:
It's ultimately nothing more than a waste of time, all simply to please those who have this strange disease where they can't tolerate graphics older than our current generation.

I agree with Bishop, esp. on this part. I talked about this issue many times in the past so I won't post my reasons. I'll make my words the same as his.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Sep 2007
Notes left: 1030
Last seen at: Brisbane, Australia.
Bishop Sasarai wrote:
It's ultimately nothing more than a waste of time, all simply to please those who have this strange disease where they can't tolerate graphics older than our current generation.


That was unnecessary. I love classic science-fiction and classic games. Ancient graphics are not an issue for me. I just think that there is an irrational sentimental attachment to the graphics when a graphical update would only act to benefit the game, and not the other way around. If it were up to me, I would have the original Silent Hill on PC and some fan would make some nice texture pages and other graphics boosting mods, and we would not have to bother the original company with making this, but that isn't so.

Also, you are overlooking the number one, most important thing here, that is that if you do not want to play the remake, then don't.


H+

_________________
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 29 May 2010
Notes left: 172
Last seen at: Texas
Reading this, I keep thinking of Tomb Raider Anniversary. It was a remake of the original with a graphical update to go with the newest consoles, new rooms and areas, new combat and gameplay moves, but all the while it kept up with the original plot and didn't skip over anything. It took out one of the bad guys under Natla, but that was it, because it was a pretty useless guy anyway.

This is what helldescent was talking about in the original post, I'm pretty sure, and what kaiza keeps enforcing. Just updating the graphics, the gameplay, and the puzzles, add a few areas we couldn't explore before or expand the ones we COULD explore. Even if it's for the twentieth anniversary after the original was released or what have you, as a type of celebration. It doesn't necessarily mean that the original was shoddy. If anything, it means the original was good enough that it should be available on all consoles, which if they just try and port the original to PS3 or Xbox it'll get screwed up.

Though personally I think it's too soon after Shattered Memories. After a while though would be a good time.

_________________
* Video Games Made Me Do It


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Sep 2007
Notes left: 1030
Last seen at: Brisbane, Australia.
Harlequin wrote:
This is what helldescent was talking about in the original post, I'm pretty sure, and what kaiza keeps enforcing. Just updating the graphics, the gameplay, and the puzzles, add a few areas we couldn't explore before or expand the ones we COULD explore. Even if it's for the twentieth anniversary after the original was released or what have you, as a type of celebration. It doesn't necessarily mean that the original was shoddy. If anything, it means the original was good enough that it should be available on all consoles, which if they just try and port the original to PS3 or Xbox it'll get screwed up.


Perfect, I couldn't have said it better myself.

H+

_________________
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2008
Notes left: 3453
Last seen at: New Jersey
Yeah, no. Unless there's a guaranteed profit for Konami, and unless this remake adds enough to make it feel like a new experience for those of us that played the original, it shouldn't be made.

New IPs are always more desirable than updates of older games - especially when said older game is good as is.

_________________
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: silent hill remake
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 25
Last seen at: In a tracksuit
My biggest gripe was the camera action, i mean wasn't Harry a human being? can't he turn his neck like a normal person?
Just don't give the player the disadvantage of having a cramped view like if you were parking a truck.

But i've got no complaints about the physics themselves, i loved the clumsy ol' Harry.

A remake would give some breathing space to Konami, to not rush a forthcoming instalment.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: silent hill remake
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
Eh. There won't be a remake. There have been two remake projects already, both by Climax. The first turned into Ørigins. The second turned into Shattered Memories. Both were originally supposed to be remakes, and in reality, I wish one of them had been, if for no other reason than to get this monkey off their back that isn't going away any time soon.

_________________
Image
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: silent hill remake
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 Feb 2010
Notes left: 504
Last seen at: Birmingham
paladin181 wrote:
Eh. There won't be a remake. There have been two remake projects already, both by Climax. The first turned into Ørigins. The second turned into Shattered Memories. Both were originally supposed to be remakes, and in reality, I wish one of them had been, if for no other reason than to get this monkey off their back that isn't going away any time soon.


I agree, Origins came out about three years ago and Shattered Memories hasn't even been out a year. Most of us want a true remake of SH1 but I just don't see Konami doing this anytime soon. It's wouldn't make since, they just re-imagined SH1 (or whatever you want to call it) with SHSM. I love the Silent Hill series but it's no where near as profitable as the Resident Evil series, though I would choose Silent Hill other Resident Evil any day, hands down.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: silent hill remake
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
viewtopic.php?t=1463
quicklinks!


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron