Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Oct 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Does Anyone Else Get a Certain Feeling From This Game?

Missing since: 09 Sep 2010
Notes left: 2
Each Silent Hill has a certain unique feel to it, but the first one has a feel that can't be beat. There's something about it, maybe the nostalgia from the clunky graphics or the music and environment, it just feels so cool.
What about you? Do you get a distinctively different vibe from this than the others? I sure do.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Else Get a Certain Feeling From This Game?

Missing since: 27 Aug 2010
Notes left: 2249
Last seen at: The Rabbit Hole
It probably has a lot to do with the graphics and nostalgia, but yes.

That, and I have to 'focus' more because I can't switch to 2D movement like I can in the other games.
Obviously, the environment is different because there's more than just fog, too, lol.

Something about Lisa's 'death' scene will always stick with me. There are very few video games that can affect me like the Silent Hills, especially the first.

Thank you for understanding. <3

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21367&p=674128#p674128

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1626
Factory Bastard wrote:
Each Silent Hill has a certain unique feel to it, but the first one has a feel that can't be beat. There's something about it, maybe the nostalgia from the clunky graphics or the music and environment, it just feels so cool.
What about you? Do you get a distinctively different vibe from this than the others? I sure do.

I think it's just the nostalgia that makes it feel different. At least, that's what I think it is for myself. SH1, in my eyes, is the best. But that's because it was my first SH game, and I played it at a time when I was somewhat more impressionable and naive (early teens if I recall correctly). Nostalgia has a way of making things seem different, better, when we think about such things. If I had played SH1 now instead of then, I wouldn't think so highly of it.
Oh, and love your avatar. I love MS Paint Adventures. :D

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 08 Aug 2010
Notes left: 362
Definitely the nostalgia factor, and a feeling of being at home, because it is the first one of the series. When ever I play it, I feel like "Ahhhh....".

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 21 Aug 2010
Notes left: 14
The first one definitely left a lasting impression, even though I though silent hill 2 was more tragic and emotional. Something about the gameplay, and the way the events unfold is unique to the first one

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 16 Sep 2010
Notes left: 100
Last seen at: Hollister California
THE SIRENS!

The series got off to a good start. The entire process of finding out what exactly the cult had done to Alessa was quite an experience.
That academy award scene with Lisa finally remembering she is dead and begging Harry to help her. Stay with her. Just imagine yourself in the hospital with Lisa as she begins to decompose or melt into one of the skimpy nurses in that dark environment.

Sweet dreams children...

:wink:

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
This game has a nostalgic feel to me too. It was an amazing first game for a series, a classic being made. And for me, it was the first mature rated game I'd ever played before (I was only 10 or 11 when my mom first let me started playing), and it's a game I don't tire of easily and it doesn't take me long to finish either (4 hours on a good day) :)

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 674
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
I just replayed this game roughly a week ago. It really does have that 'feeling'. Nostalgia is definitely a factor. It kinda goes deeper than that though.

Although it's really hard to put it into words why. The soundtrack is a lot different than the others. I think the PS1 graphics give it a lot of charm. Something that was never replicated.

There's just a lot of things completely unique to this one Silent Hill that just weren't in any of the others.

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I have spoken on the subject before myself, as well.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 06 Aug 2010
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: Nowhere
I think it is mostly the graphics, they leave so much to the imagination and you can never tell for sure what's going on.

SH1 also did not hold back on the scares and plain old western-style horror. oxo

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
i felt a pounding terror. and thats a good thing

Just Passing Through

The little shadow ghost at the back of the school really freaked me out the first time I saw it.
A game you get into so much you actually thinl you're the protagonist looking for his daughter in the twilight zone.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 15 Jun 2010
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: Texas, USA
SH1 had the creeping dread. No game before or since has ever terrified me so much. However, there were really only a few truly great setpieces (locker cat, lisa's death, the virgin megastore tv rack), and the story, while excellent, wasn't particularly affecting after the fact.

SH2 did a bit better on the setpieces and had the wonderfully tragic story that I will hold up to anyone as the single finest example of storytelling in a video game ever. Period. However, it really wasn't nearly as scary as the original.

SH3 had a terrifically lackluster plot, and was very uneven in its scares, however, it consistently had phenomenal setpieces (the mirror room, the ghost in the subway station, the session 9 wheelchair, the elevator wheelchair, the bleeding walls, valtiel, etc)

While I personally like the 2nd game the best, all three games in the original trilogy had things about them that were utterly fantastic, and together they make for one of the deepest, richest, and best play experiences in all of gaming.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 18 Sep 2010
Notes left: 29
Although nostalgia is a certainly one reason why this game gives me a distinct feeling from the rest of the series, it's also atmospherically closer to my taste (which I'm a little hesitant to say since most of the series appeals to me). The way Akira's industrial soundtrack comes together with the blood and rust visuals of the otherworld (the Midwich school transition in particular) is just so damned perfect to me. Even the graphics, which weren't that bad for its time really, sets a sort of archaic tone to the game that suited the visual atmosphere that they were going for. Not EVERYTHING was perfect of course, but the shortcomings that this game has (voice acting, some of the dialogue, whatever else you may not like) somehow came together in a way that didn't ruin the experience for me at all. Either that, or the things that are good about the game are so constant that the shortcomings seem non-existent to me, heh.

Now that I am thinking about it, Akira's music for the first game happens to be a big reason why this game gives me a distinct feeling. Of course he's continued, somewhat, with his violent industrial music in later games, but it is far more prevalent and somewhat unrelenting in the first. He presented a mix of melancholia after the first one, especially in the 2nd and 4th game, but with the first one it seemed like he used violent and almost tribal machinery samples and loops (devoid of obvious human emotion) one after the other with the occasional "normal" song to accompany certain memorable scenes, if you know what I mean. And then there's the Balken church theme, which in all of it's eerie simplicity stands out as a beautiful short piece of (almost hypnotic) music.

Ah, I'm not sure what else to say really...so, just to answer the name of this thread, yes. :D

Oh and another little short piece of words to add to this, the first Silent Hill also has the best replay value for me. It's just not getting old, yet.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1015
Last seen at: In your fridge
I feel that Silent Hill 1 had a more "scary" feel to it than others in the series. The rest of the series focused more on creeping out the player (which there's plenty of in part 1) instead of scaring the player.

Just Passing Through

^Agreed

Fifteen years old at the time. I thought no game could scare me the way the first SH did.
I mean Resident evil 1 n 2 scared in a way "Shit! Run-heal-shoot" and the occassional crows here and there breaking through the windows.

The dark environment and the soundtrack make SH a real hellride.

Brookhaven Receptionist

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 770
Last seen at: Portland, OR
Factory Bastard wrote:
Do you get a distinctively different vibe from this than the others?

Yes. Yes, I do. But I can't begin to describe it...

Julius summed it up pretty well, though.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 16 Nov 2005
Notes left: 1748
Last seen at: Southeast of Greenwich...somewhere sandy.
I have always found SH1 to be the creepiest by far. It just had a sinking, ineveitable doom feel to it. Especially on the first play through.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 12 Apr 2010
Notes left: 267
Last seen at: Portland, OR
There's definitely a general strangeness to Silent Hill 1 that the other games don't have. I don't chalk it up to nostalgia myself, but rather to a lot of little things the game does that add up over time. The school with all the odd, indistinguishable posters, the fact that items of importance are marked by pools or trails of blood, the phantom noises in every single level of the game, the use of the sirens to mark otherworld transitions, etc. None of these seem major on their own, but they culminate to form a very strange, alienating atmosphere.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 27 Oct 2010
Notes left: 138
It gave me a feeling, while playing the game, when the streets turned to otherworld.
"RUN Harry Run!, Keeping running, don't stop Harry!"
Enemies are everywhere! they just keep coming.

Also when harry was talking to cybil, she said tourists were on drugs. I thought Harry was on drugs too. Roads will explode, Kids will appear at school with knifes, nurses will have lumps on their backs, mutant dogs will run around.

But it was Alessa or cult that had otherworld formed. The story in SH 1 is interesting, and puzzles were good too. Plus the changing environments keep me focused.