Silent Hill 1 (ePSXe Config) For Modern Graphic Cards

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Giromancy
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 1 (ePSXe Config) For Modern Graphic Cards

Post by Giromancy »

Im using this settings on a Geforce 9500 GT 1GB and the game runs perfect! and 60FPS in every part of the game, i left my settings:

Im using the next plugins:

VIDEO: gpuPeteOpenGL2 2.9.0.0
SOUDN: spuEternal 1.4.1.0

You can download the plugins from: http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

VIDEO SETTINGS

Make sure to select The 2nd option (Standard-Emulates frame textures and buffer moves/reads)
in Framebuffer Effects to activate the flashlight gleam:

DISABLED

ENABLED

SOUND SETTINGS

SCREENS

I hope it will be useful. ;)
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Silent Hill 1 (ePSXe Config) For Modern Graphic Cards

Post by Tillerman »

This is actually really useful to know, cause I was thinking it might be cool to replay the game on my computer. I do like save states! Thanks for the info.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Emulation software is wonderful isn't it? When my psx finally gave up the ghost just last year (15 years good service, I'll miss the old chap) I was genuinely distraught since I went down the xbox route of consoles and as such had nothing to play SH1 on. Then I remembered emulators, and everything was ok again.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

The nice thing about PS emulators is that you can just play the game right off your CD, so you don't have to mess with any of that rom downloading or anything.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

I bought an lg8164b dvd drive so my pc can read wii discs solely so that I can play Fatal Frame 4. Totally worth it, although it took me ages to work out how to apply the english patch, all in all it was probably the most ott lengths I've gone to just to play a game. I'll pretty much be forever thankful to the clever buggers who make emulation possible.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Oh man, I'd really like to be able to play Fatal Frame 4... how does that work, though, can you actually use a wiimote with your computer? Or do you simulate that with a mouse?
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

There's a program called bluesoleil which allows you to connect wiimotes to your pc via bluetooth. Before I found that out though I had been simulating it with a 360 pad, which worked fine but took a fair amount of experimentation with the control mapping.

EDIT: Also, you need a fairly serious pc to run wii emulations. I have a q9300 quad core, 4gigs of ram and a Radeon HD5750 graphics card and Fatal Frame still stutters when you step through the doors due to loading. Also frame rate drops every now and then when fighting multiple ghosts.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Looks like I couldn't run Fatal Frame 4 even if I wanted to! Oh well, I'll just have to wait awhile. By the way is 4 good?
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

It is good. It controls like a dream, and I never thought I would say that about a Fatal Frame game but the ots cam is great and although the torch doesn't have quite the same manoeuvrability as SH:SM it can be directed by tilting the wiimote which is cool.

It's not as scary as the first Fatal Frame, but I'm pretty sure that statement applies to every game ever made so that's not such a big deal, since on occasion it can still be absolutely terrifying.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

stopped_clock wrote:It is good. It controls like a dream, and I never thought I would say that about a Fatal Frame game but the ots cam is great and although the torch doesn't have quite the same manoeuvrability as SH:SM it can be directed by tilting the wiimote which is cool.
Yeah, but what really annoyed me about the flashlight in SM is how if you were too close to a wall, it was absolutely worthless. Does the torch in Fatal Frame have the same problem?
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

Not that I've noticed, but then I don't recall noticing it SM either so I'm probably not the best person to ask!

Back on topic, thanks for the tips on the set up Giromancy, I've been considering replaying all the games in the series during the run up to Downpour so I'll try out your settings when I play through SH1.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Yeah, ePSXe can be a bitch to setup sometimes, so it is definitely very nice to know the correct settings, and which plugins to use. Unfortunately it's not a very user friendly emulator.
kyleb
Just Passing Through

Post by kyleb »

stopped_clock wrote:Fatal Frame still stutters when you step through the doors due to loading
That's the way the game is on the Wii too, and it can be helped if you right click on the game in your games list and select properties > game config > speed up disk transfer rate. It still chugs a little with that option on, but it's much better than without.
hb02
Just Passing Through

Post by hb02 »

You still need the physical ps1 game disc to play it on PC?
silenthell88

Post by silenthell88 »

hb02 wrote:You still need the physical ps1 game disc to play it on PC?
Legally you need the disc. Illegally you can download the ISO, mount it with a virtual drive and play it that way. I'd buy the game tho. It's a great game and rare these days. It's something special to own.
supperhater
Just Passing Through

Post by supperhater »

first off, i do own the actual ps1 game so don't bite my head off!

that said, i downloaded the rom (for the NTSC version) when i first played this game, and since i loved the game so much i bought a copy on ebay later. but strangely i actually almost prefer playing it on my PC rather than ps2, obviously cos i don't have a ps1 memory card and can't save it, but also the disc i have is the PAL version which replaced the grey children (my favourite SH enemies) with the far less awesome (imo) clawfingers... well the clawfingers are cool but the grey children are infinitely more appropriate for the school environment, plus the sounds the grey children make are like the freakiest thing in the game for me.

also the sound is alot better through my studio monitors than my old school crt TV speakers! and i like the keyboard configuration for the game through the emulator, only thing is you don't feel the vibration when your health is low like you would with a controller so i have to go to the inventory more often to make sure i'm not flashing on red.
Rayder
Just Passing Through

Post by Rayder »

Man! I tried everything I could think of to get SH1 running on ePSXe yesterday. I just kept getting black screens. All my other games work, but not SH1. ARG!

Then I remembered (mods, let me know if I'm breaking any rules here, I don't want to get banned) a group called Silentscape Studios (Google it) made a special PC edition of the game that has everything you need to play SH1 on a PC in the download. I DL'd and installed that and it works great. It even works with a controller, though I'm not sure if the rumble feature of my Logitech Rumblepad will work or not yet as I haven't went beyond just verifying that it booted at this point. It's essentially a close-ended version of ePSXe with a nice interface for playing SH1 only.

Anyone having issues with the general ePSXe emulator should give that Silentscape version a try.

EDIT: There are even maps and a walk through included in the Silentscape download.
katanamaster40
Just Passing Through

Post by katanamaster40 »

Rayder wrote:Man! I tried everything I could think of to get SH1 running on ePSXe yesterday. I just kept getting black screens. All my other games work, but not SH1. ARG!

Then I remembered (mods, let me know if I'm breaking any rules here, I don't want to get banned) a group called Silentscape Studios (Google it) made a special PC edition of the game that has everything you need to play SH1 on a PC in the download. I DL'd and installed that and it works great. It even works with a controller, though I'm not sure if the rumble feature of my Logitech Rumblepad will work or not yet as I haven't went beyond just verifying that it booted at this point. It's essentially a close-ended version of ePSXe with a nice interface for playing SH1 only.

Anyone having issues with the general ePSXe emulator should give that Silentscape version a try.

EDIT: There are even maps and a walk through included in the Silentscape download.
wait...what operating system are you using, is it vista? well if it is i couldn't get the silentscape version to work for some reason.
DAMN HR5 NARGACUGA!!!!
silenthell88

Post by silenthell88 »

katanamaster40 wrote:
Rayder wrote:wait...what operating system are you using, is it vista? well if it is i couldn't get the silentscape version to work for some reason.
I'm using it on Win 7 64 bit just fine. I have it set on Win XP SP3 compatibility.
Rayder
Just Passing Through

Post by Rayder »

I'm running an old WinXP MCE setup here. Heh, been running this same setup for about 2 or 3 yours now. Surprised it still works as good as it does. I used to reformat at least once a year, but I just don't worry about it unless there is a problem now.