Easy (Spoils)

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Easy (Spoils)

Post by Imnotazombie »

OK, so I kind of suck at these games, at least lately. And I'm very stuck on Silent Hill 1, the part where you're supposed to shoot Cybil, on the carousel. Would it be wrong of me to restart the game at easy?

What difficulty do you guys play on when you play the games?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96mafdh081r4v6xxo1_500.gif
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Easy (Spoils)

Post by Shadow »

Hard - purely because I like to keep all the stuff I've unlocked on previous playthroughs and the game automatically increases the difficulty level each time you complete it so eventually it locks on Hard.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

The Cybil fight is indeed the hardest fight on Normal and Hard modes and switching to Easy would make it easier. Generally SH1 is a fairly easy game and you're almost done with it, but if you're really out of health items and such it might not be a terrible idea. Or you could restart on the difficulty you're on, you might do better this time. Note that if you have the unknown liquid you can make the second part of the fight much shorter.

With the first two games I tend to play on Normal. I've beaten them on Hard just to say that I have, but I tend to want to play on Normal. With SH3, however, I play on Hard or Extreme because the game to me seems more combat focused and one of the joys of the game is looking for a challenge.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

It might be wrong to restart because you're as far along as you are, but you're not a pussy just because you consider playing on Easy mode. I often play games on Easy the first time, because I care more about the experience than the challenge. Challenge can wait until replays. If it's a game that isn't story-based, I tend not to, if only because I remember too well that some classic games had a tendency to punish you for doing so by giving you shit endings or, worse, ending the game prematurely. That never happens in narrative-heavy games, of course.
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

Thank you everyone, that makes me feel better. Yeah, I'm kind of new to Survival Horror, the only game of it I've beat was SH3, and that was a year ago, and I'm just coming back to liking Silent Hill again, so its like its all new to me again haha.

I remember with SH3, I had to change it to easy on the carousel too, I was surprised to see this one had it too! SH3 I guess had a lot to do with it. I just ordered SH4 on amazon, heard thats insanely hard, so I'm definitely gonna play that on easy : D Thanks for the replies everyone!
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

I played Easy mode at first.
But next fear/normal and next fear/hard was the best difficulties I faced.

I never wanted to play easy again. Though you gain less ammo per box the higher the diff, but for you.

I recommend to beat Easy and start up from there, cause you get bullet multiplier. :D
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

~raises hand shyly~ I always play the games on Easy if there's an option, since I usually only play the games for storyline. I remember the first time I played SH1, I got ALL the way to the end and I was fighting the boss for the Bad endings (don't wanna spoil anybody here) and I didn't have any health items left and got my rear kicked lol, I could only get hit like once and I would die.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

@ Imnotazombie, I wouldn't say that SH4 is INSANELY hard, I'd say it's easier than SH3 if just for the fact that there's only one boss fight fight, but it is one of the harder ones, particularly the second half. I personally find that one more fun on Normal than Easy, but I tend to enjoy challenging myself with these games. (SH3 Extreme = yay)
Imnotazombie
Just Passing Through

Post by Imnotazombie »

Really?! Well thats a relief, its kind of Ironic SH3 is the only SH game I've beaten so far haha. I guess I just worried about those unkillable ghost things people always complain about.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ They're not too difficult to run from. It helps to know the layout of the level so that you know where to run. Some ghosts in the second half are like mini-bosses, but there's a way to "put them in their place". Then there's the invincible man who follows you around and shoots him. At first he seems like a big problem. In fact, SH4 SEEMS like the hardest one at first, but once you get used to it it's not as hard as 3 and Homecoming. Especially in the first half, because you can stock up on lots of health drinks and don't technically have to use a single one, because there's a way to get free healing.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

With all the games I always play normal the first time, I like to be challenged without being frustrated... In the Silent Hill case I use every difficult level just for know that i've played them and also for being sure of get every ending (SH1: Easy for Bad ending, Normal for Bad+ and Hard for the remaining endings...) I also liked to use every puzzle difficult level (I miss this so much although they just used it in 2 games)...

SH4 in hard can be a nightmare, I never can defeat Walter in time because Eyleen is RUNNING to the damn pool!!
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

I play on Normal first but then I go to Hard with every Silent Hill game.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill