Beta Monsters Textures

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Giromancy
Just Passing Through

Beta Monsters Textures

Post by Giromancy »

Hi guys, so long since my last post here about SH & Kindergarten Cop :), I want to share something else that i found some time ago.

It all started when i was looking some textures inside the game disc, (NTSC/UC) version to be exact, i noticed that some beta textures were left in the retail game, these textures are from early creatures designs that were changed during the game development, but for some reason they were left intact into the game files.

The program i've used to extract the files is called: jPSXdec Media Decoder

Let´s take a look to these beta textures:
The first texture has the name: SILENT[865] and it´s conformed with four layers (palettes).

This is the final texture of Grey Child and it´s also conformed with four layers (palettes), you can see the similarities in both textures:
Now let´s make a comparison between Orange Child ¨Beta Texture¨ between Grey Child ¨final texture¨:
Notice the different skin color, the orange child it resemble more like a human skin, in the left image below, you can see the face has eyes and a different mouth compared with the final texture in the right side.
Another thing is that the beta texture also has a completely naked body, in the final texture we can see some kind of ¨belts¨ grabbed in his chest:
Now, if we look the screens from the E3 1998 trailer, we can see a similar monster in wich also has orange skin, and it has eyes and mouth in his face:

But im not quite sure that this texture from Orange Child it´s the same one that show up in the E3 1998 Trailer because of his head size:

But...In Nowhere (almost at the end of the game), when we turn off the electricity in the Bethor Room and then go to the basement (classroom), we can find some creatures there, but they are different to the final Grey Child that show up in the entire School, they are almost invisible and have eyes and mouth like the orange child beta monster (texture).

So, the creatures that appear in Nowhere are the Orange Child original design transformed into shadow ghosts, and these beta textures were used in this creatures, that's how do they look in an early development, before the developers decided to change the orange child into a shadow ghost.

Now let's take a closer look to the second creature:
This one is the Beta Larval Stalker texture. This texture is conformed by just one layer (palette) and it has the name: SILENT[863]
The only footage we have of this creature is in the E3 1998 trailer:
Now that we have the original texture extracted from the game disc, we can clearly see how his face looked before the developers changed it into a shadow baby ghost. His face was a mystery for years.

By last, we have the beta textures of Puppet Nurse and Parasitized Doctor from Alchemilla Hospital:
Have you realized that there are three types of nurses in the game?
Not only with different color clothes but different faces too.

The same thing here, we can see different faces and clothes between beta and final texture:
So, that's how they looked in a early development:

Now comes the best, thanks to some users, we can enjoy this Beta monsters in the actual game, we only have to apply a .ppf patch into the game and play! that´s all!.

DOWNLOAD .PPF PATCH (BETA MONSTERS NTSC/UC SLUS_00707) 419KB
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/304 ... stored.rar

HOW TO APPLY THE PATCH:
1- Run ppf-o-matic3.exe
2- In ISO Option select the image of the game (NTSC)
3- In Patch Option select any patch: (patch1.ppf or patch2.ppf)
4- Click on Apply button and done!
5- Now run the game already patched on your emulator and enjoy the beta monsters!
Big thanks to:
PaulSilentin
MartinBiohazard
Roden
CharlesM
HoRRoR/horror_x

This patch would not have been possible without them :)

Here is a video i made with the patch applied to the game:

By last, sorry about my English, it´s not my native language, I hope you have understood everything in this thread. ;)
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Beta Monsters Textures

Post by Tillerman »

Wow, this is all really good work! It's neat to see what the monsters looked like in beta. I guess these changes were probably made for artistic reasons, and generally I think the final versions look better. The gray children especially look way more creepy in the final version. But still it's neat to see what the old textures look like, and I didn't realize that they were actually still used in Nowhere!