Trade Demo Differences and download link

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

BrYaN55
Just Passing Through

Trade Demo Differences and download link

Post by BrYaN55 »

A few years ago, I was trying to get my hands on the famous Trade Demo for the game. You see it popup on eBay once in a blue moon. The last one was about two years ago. I did bet on it what I thought was a crazy amount, but ended up being the second highest bidder.

I tried desperately to find it on the Internet but to no avail. Then one day, I got lucky. A guy on my Facebook page (a french video game collectors page) had a bunch of demos for sale for 75$ While everyone was complaining that it was too much for OPM demos, since I'm interested in demos and beta stuff, I took the time to check the picture carefully. I spotted a Trade Demo in the lot, and with closer inspection (I had to zoom the picture), I saw that it was Silent Hill! I couldn't believe my eyes! I was SUPER nervous, paid rapidly, and crossed my fingers the guy wouldn't change his mind. He took a few days to ship, but one day, the demo came in.

For the past two days, I played the demo side by side with the final version, and noted the differences I spotted. Here's what I found, even though I'm sure I missed a few things.

The Old Silent Hill map is missing some information.

The texture on the grey pipe is less detailed in the demo, look like they corrected it just before the final build.

There's a dog in the alley when you go back to check for Cheryl.

It says «Buffalo» on the crashed police car with the «Key of Lion» in its trunk. I think you can also see that detail in some other demos. The police cars in front of the police station are normal.

This is quite unique I think. In the Trade Demo, when you try to venture too far on the map, for example, if you try to go to the Gordon House BEFORE finishing the school level, you are assaulted by a bunch of Air Screamers, with some that are more resistant. I still have to double check this, as I am not 100% sure if this happend by venturing too far, or if it'd just happend anyway.

The teachers names are different, screw the Sonic Youth reference? Or maybe it is a reference to something else?

In the Library Reserve room, you'll find a Health drink instead of a First aid kit.

The key lands farther from the drain.

Before visiting the Church, I decided to explore the town a little and go to the drawbridge to collect some items. Then again, I was attacked by a bunch of Air Screamers, with some that were stronger. Again, I think maybe this is because I tried to go too far on the map that I needed to at this point.

Same thing happened here, instead of going directly to the police station or the hospital, I decided to go to the Antique Shop, then was attacked again.

Tables are on both sides of the street (Koontz & Simmons) at Sun Cafe in the Trade Demo. I don't know why they removed them as they gave more details and life to the place.

There is an extra space behind the stairs in front of the hospital. But you can't go in because of an invisible wall. That extra space is not in the "other world" (see here).

On the 3rd floor of the Alchemilla Hospital, you can see that there are two "Store Room". It was later corrected to "Storage Room".

No Health drink in the kitchen in the Trade Demo.

In the cutscene before the Floatstinger boss, you can see Harry doing a 360° before he finally sees the boss.

Slighty different item placement in the sewers. I think they changed the Handgun bullet position because you could see it through the wall.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7VnWaju-TY[/youtube]
This one is pretty cool. In the Trade Demo, the conversation between Harry and Kaufmann is fully voiced. I checked with the PAL and Japanese version, and in both, the last lines are subbed, not voiced by Harry.

When you go back on those steps, the camera angle is kind of confusing in the Trade Demo, and was corrected for a better angle later.

Where the Mumblers make their entry in the US version, nothing happens in the Trade Demo. You do meet some Mumblers later on though.

When Lisa dies, and you get back in control of Harry, he is looking away from the door. In the final version, he's facing the door, probably to imply that he dind't abandon Lisa completely, that you should go back to check on her.

If you return in the room with the Key of Ophiel stuck in the faucet, you'll be attacked by a bunch of nurses, but in the Trade Demo, there is nothing.

Small mistake in the Bird Cage Key description. «Bird cage with engraved handle».

When looking at the little girl's dress in Alessa chamber, Harry doesn't say «Six, maybe seven... Must be a kid about that age» in the Trade Demo. He just says «A girl's clothing hangs on the wall.» and that's all.

In the good ending, there is more flames, and the blue light is nowhere to be seen.

The Trade Demo seemed more generous in the ranking system, and only have 203 items instead of 204?

And finally, even though it will probably devaluate the item, I decided to share it with the community. I saw many people requesting the Trade Demo, and I can't believe it is not yet available on the web. I had my fun with it, and now it's time for other devoted fans to take a look at it and maybe find some good stuff that I missed. I saw some incredible work done by some of you (using hack, or walk through walls code), so a great resource like that should be available for everyone to take a look at.

Download link:

http://www.quebecgamers.com/Silent_Hill ... -80707.rar
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Trade Demo Differences and download link

Post by Postcode »

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing it.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

As an old school Silent Hill fan, I appreciate the hell out of this.

Thanks for sharing it!
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Thank you for sharing your discoveries!
Tabris wrote:As an old school Silent Hill fan, I appreciate the hell out of this.
Hell yeah, same here! It's quite cool! :mrgreen:
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

only have 203 items instead of 204
I think the extra item is that health drink in the kitchen.