Intentionally 80's

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

tylerdurden2236
Just Passing Through

Post by tylerdurden2236 »

Its an anachronistic easter egg.
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

The whole town is an anachronistic easter egg.

I would describe the clothing, hair, and music styles as far more 70's than 80's, but that's just me.
oddworth
Just Passing Through

Post by oddworth »

And what about the way harry dresses? with a rather small jacket, and the tight looking jeans he wears? they look very 80's to me.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ilikewaxingowls
^ some great silent hil videos
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill
^ lol ^
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=oddworth&p=r
^^^ my own silent hill videos ^^^
SteveSilent
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SteveSilent »

I always got a dated feeling from the game, even before I knew it was based in the 80's. It's just another aspect of the game's atmosphere that disturbs the player.. Probably because it makes you feel out of place.
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

Cherry Bomb wrote: And SH is one of the only series' I've seen in recent years where all of the games are set in chronological order.
yeah... too bad Origins will kinda muck that up......

not that i'm not looking forward to it's release; in fact, im pleasantly surprised at how it's progressed from the first few screencaps...... i guess i just feel the whole "Alessa" storyline has been exhausted.

anyways, back on topic..... check out the radio you get in the game. that thing is fuggin' ancient. even compared to SH2's radio it looks like an early 80's relic.

Sonic Youth is mentioned in the Midwitch elementary school faculty roster, and they sure as hell weren't around in 1983. the pop culture references are merely easter eggs.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

i cant wait till thiss game comes in the mail so i can tell what you guys are talking about. :D
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

So this means that Origins will be set in the mid 70s, yes?
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

it should take place somewhere around 1976
Last edited by Silent Fantasy on 05 Sep 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

There are Portishead posters in the 5to2 Cafe.

Portishead was a band formed in 1991.

................ Yes................. silent hill tok place in 2096.. were everything was supper retro...... that explains the "easter eggs".................. but really, who cares when the game tok place, what abouit the why????
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

I enjoyed the feeling and atmosphere of SH1 very much. I quite miss it ...
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

now that i have beaten silent hill 3 times,i can say that it does have an early 80's feel.the main menu,the clothes people are wearing,the cars,weapons,item,music,enviorment,it all feels kinda 80's.( fucking great game by the way.its my #2 fav silent hill. sh3 being #1 )
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Call me crazy but it doesn't feel 80's to me. It just feels like a game that came out for PS1 back in 1999 with bad graphics and a small "quiet" :roll: town that's not a city so it's not advanced. I don't see any neon colors, no Fresh Prince of Bell Air, no big hair bands lol Nothing really reminds me of the 80's just a small town.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

i don't see it as super 80's either, besides some of the sounds (the piece playing at the hidden altar in green lion is one of my favorite SH music clips). it doesn't seem to be set in any time period specifically besides "modern". it could be 80's, 90's, or 00's. this is of course not taking into account the obvious timeline that everyone's concluded, just a non-canon observation.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

LanceS133 wrote:Call me crazy but it doesn't feel 80's to me. It just feels like a game that came out for PS1 back in 1999 with bad graphics and a small "quiet" :roll: town that's not a city so it's not advanced. I don't see any neon colors, no Fresh Prince of Bell Air, no big hair bands lol Nothing really reminds me of the 80's just a small town.
.... just because it's not overly-gaudy in 80's cliches doesn't mean there aren't subtle clues. i mean.... think about the timeline of the series. if SH1 didn't take place somewhere in the 80's or earlier, that would mean SH3 would take place in the future. did SH3 look in any way futuristic to you? not me either. it looked pretty current.... maybe a couple years behind -- late 90's or 2000 or so. so really, by default it kinda HAS to take place before 1999, which was the year the game came out.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
heather mason's age of 17 means that there are 17 years between the end of SH1 and the beginning of SH3. if SH1 took place in 1999 when the game came out, that would mean that SH3 was supposed to have taken place in 2016. i find that unlikely.
in my opinion, judging from the series as a collective work, it seems like keeping the time period of the games vague is important to Team Silent. they never come right out and tell you what year any of them take place. you have to put it together yourself. and i kind of like that..... it gives everything a bizarre, timeless "otherworldly" feel. everything's kinda generic and.... well, like i said, timeless.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

^ That is true. I didn't really think that much into it. While playing SH1 I've personally just never thought, "Hey this game's pretty 80's" or anything like that. But you do have a good point, good call.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Darchaen
Just Passing Through

Post by Darchaen »

Interesting, I never thought of it while I was playing it. I noticed (of course) that the game's atmosphere had a dirty kind of feel to it, but that credits itself to the atmosphere, not the decade. Still, old technology like the ancient phones adds to the dilapidated and run down feel.

Quirk, you lived in Topeka? Reminds me of Dark Tower III: Wastelands.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

as an 80's buff I find it really cool that the first silent hill is set in the 80's
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

headless fetish wrote:Concidering the cell phone in the previews.
THE LEAD CHARACTER IS A WOMAN!
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ye gods, mates. Hasn't anyone steered ye all to the SH timeline topic? SH1 happens in April 20th, 1983. Here's the proof.
setsuna_PT
Just Passing Through

Post by setsuna_PT »

now that i think about that... its quite amusing that a town that was supposed to be dead... got new things on it right? the hospital for instance changed a lot since harry to heather.. in heather turn we had some computers there...
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,setsuna-unl-PT.png[/img][/url]
... kimi wa hikari... boku wa kage...