Silent Hill 1 Versions?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

antianara
Just Passing Through

Post by antianara »

Watchdog wrote:
Spong wrote:The James Bulger case was the probable cause for the game being censored here in the UK. A toddler was snatched from his mother and killed by two boys aged about 9 or 10 years-old. As a result, there was a period in the UK where children and violence was a big no-no across all media, and the knife-wielding babies of Silent Hill fell victim of that. The Chucky films (which were ultimately blamed for the crime) were totally banned on all formats for a while.
I'm sure that if SH1 was re-released it'd stay intact this time.
Really? I would have thought that the memory of the Dunblane incident was a more appropriate reason for the child demons' removal.

You know, seeing as how you'd have been in a school, shooting at children...
I know this is an old topic, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason for taking the demon children out of the game. I can't seem to find any proof of it, but I swear I remember reading it somewhere years ago.
Half the people in this room are mad at me, and the other half only like me because they think I pushed somebody in front a bus, so that's not good.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Void wrote: In the USA, there is only the original and 'Greatest Hits' versions, as far as I can tell. Now, I know that there is alot of difference between the original and 'Greatest Hits' versions of SH2, but does the same apply to SH1? Is there even any difference whatsoever, no matter how small and insignificant?
I don't think so. The only difference I know of is the discs. The greatest hits disc is grey and it has Cheryl on it. The other one (I assume it's the black label release, I don't own a copy but I saw it at an old friend's house a long time ago) has an all black disc, I think it might have said "Silent Hill" on the side or something. I'll probably never get a chance to play the BL release since it's so rare... oh well.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

I've had many versions of SH1, aside from 2, that's the one I constantly have had to purchase in the past.
My first one was a grey disc, the second was a black, and now I have another black one that thankfully I've managed to keep for years.

I had the one with cheryl on the cover first, and then one with Harry .. I think .. I am pretty sure i have a GH version of it now, but I bought it at a gamestop and they didn't have a manual or a case for it.

Wasn't there also one with Dahlia on the cover? Or am I just going crazy? :)

Actually, I take that back. I can't find any versions with cheryl on the cover, they all appear to be the same, but the discs are different.
So my first grey disc had cheryl on it, the rest of my discs were black with nobody on them.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Dahlia(I think)'s eyes are on the inside of the cover, the spot that the disc covers when it's in the case. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

I found one on Ebay that actually has her on the cover, but I'm leery of it's authenticity. Something tells me that someone made a custom cover for it because they lost the original case ;)

I haven't seen a SH1 manual in forever too :lol: .. I forgot about her eyes on the back of it.
supperhater
Just Passing Through

Post by supperhater »

somethindarker wrote:lame, why were they called mumblers they sound creepier. why does europe get all the cool stuff. like euro extreme.
Seriously, Grey Children are soooo much better than Clawfingers from the PAL version.
Clawfingers are in the sewer in the NTSC version anyway. I bought the PAL version on ebay after having played the NTSC game via a torrent/emulator and the grey children are pretty much the best thing about the game. Mainly because the noise they make is way more unsettling than the grunting of the clawfingers, and also because they suit the school environment way better.

Also, I started to play the NTSC version again today on my pc and it might just be me but it seems harder (on normal difficulty) than the PAL version did, I find I die easily in Midwich whereas on the PAL version I rarely died and also I have less ammo and health in the NTSC version. It might just be my imagination though.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Pal, Japanese, USA, I think those are all of them I guess
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

Managed to get Japanese copy but there will be no diff bar the box art bargain @$15
Youma Taisan!
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hill 1 Versions?

Post by Zeraylph »

Apologies for bumping.

But I was watching a video let's play.

The version the person had, had scary breathing sounds in the background.

What version of Silent Hill cd had them?

My psp edition didn't have those scary sounds in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2p7KGJGIag
^ at 2:42 is what Im talking about. My psp is the U.S version and it didn't have those sounds. It came with music instead :(
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

I remember getting Silent Hill when it first came out in the U.S. My PS1 was chipped, so I had a copied version of the U.S game -I didn't know that at the time, of course- so I got to see the horrific demonic baby/children. But years on, my mate told me this bit of information, so I bought the Europeon version to see it for myself. My god. The bear, whatever the hell they are, just ruined my memorys of the game.

The U.K is normally pretty open-minded with video games, and it's rare things get cut, changed, whatever. So it's a damn shame they had to do it to one of my favourite games. :P
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Alppu90
Just Passing Through

Post by Alppu90 »

Have you noticed that there are differences in Harry's comments between PAL (with NTSC-J) and NTSC (US) versions. For example:

PAL: http://img38.imageshack.us/i/palg.png/

NTSC (US): http://img687.imageshack.us/i/ntscus.png/

There are also several other comments with slight differences. BTW, I took that first screenshot from my PAL version of Silent Hill. So, I'm sayin' that not only Grey Child or Fire Article has gone through changes in between these two versions.
"Eddie, have you gone nuts?" - James Sunderland
Pac Man
Just Passing Through

Post by Pac Man »

Here is my Collection online :)
If someone have something that I don't - please message me :)
I hope you're like it! :)
Last edited by Pac Man on 24 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

There's something I don't understand. I know that in the NTSC version you encounter the Claw Fingers only in the sewers right before the amusement park and you only encounter two of them I think.

But why did they go through all the trouble of creating a new common monster (that's not much of a challenge anyway) when you only encounter two of them and only once? Or did they already have that monster ready for the PAL version at that time?