Crucifix In Classroom

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Crucifix In Classroom

Post by Anonymous »

What's the deal with the huge silver medieval crucifix in one of the classrooms in Midwich School. It's on the second floor, bottom right classroom, you can see it at the back of the room as you enter, it's quite high up so only certain camera angles pick it up.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Because in small-town America, 1980's, that wouldn't really be a cause for controversy.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

St. Thomas wrote:Because in small-town America, 1980's, that wouldn't really be a cause for controversy.
But why is it only in one classroom? I've just had a look around and I cannot find any other crucifix or christian iconography.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It's in others, certainly.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I've seen crosses in other rooms in the school.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Jo269976
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jo269976 »

It's supposed to keep the ghouls away... don't work well though
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/Jo269976/SilentHillSig.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Remember, it wouldnt be politically correct in a big city!
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

But what is it´s meaning?
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Scarlet
Historical Society Historian

Post by Scarlet »

The meaning of a crucifix in a school? Well, it's no big deal, I guess. Some schools may have crucifixes because the religion of the country is a catholic one...
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

The US is a prothestant country...

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Scarlet
Historical Society Historian

Post by Scarlet »

There are catholic schools anyway...
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

But SH would be in the North-east part of the US, and since colonisation, the british forbided the catholicism in their colonies, and SH was supposed to be founded at that time...

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Midwich Elementary wasn't built at colonization.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Yeah, but who built it?the inhabitants of SH.Even today people of small towns are very closed about beliefs.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

in 1980's it wouldn't be a big deal and there was a christian church so it's not like nobody was cristian. For all we know midwhich may have been a catholic school. But with sonic youth as teachers i doubt it. If your wondering what I mean When you first enter the school go the reception desk and look at the teacher's list there members of sonic youth.
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

Seems if I remember history right far back in the day they tought in chruches untill a town got large enough for a school of it's own? Not to long a stretch that a very small town would have crosses in the classrooms. Protestent doesn't exactly mean the same thing now that it did back then.
Alessas-blood-brother
Just Passing Through

Post by Alessas-blood-brother »

its my belief that Midwich is catholic judging by how the children are dressed in the movie
When your scared and hurt,for so long,your FEAR and PAIN turns to HATE,and your HATE BEGINS TO CHANGE THE WORLD.
-Alesse Gallespie
Anonymous

Re: Crucifix In Classroom

Post by Anonymous »

Raiftel wrote:What's the deal with the huge silver medieval crucifix in one of the classrooms in Midwich School. It's on the second floor, bottom right classroom, you can see it at the back of the room as you enter, it's quite high up so only certain camera angles pick it up.
Is it an upside-down cross?
F

Post by F »

No, it isn't. And given the way is Alessa's outfit--by the way, no movie references here, please--and the layout of Balkan Church, it's a Catolic town on the surface. Goes without saying that everyone knows what's underneath.