I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

ValTanner
Just Passing Through

Post by ValTanner »

Not interested in SH1? Are you kidding? One good reason to play it: See Silent Hill when it was brand new, fresh. See the cursed town through Harry Mason's eyes (we saw his daughter struggle, and you need to see what he went through.) The love between Harry and Cheryl is really sweet... definitely something to witness. Lisa's whole... deal is certainly something to live through, and Ms. Garland's tragedy is truly the saddest in all of SH. Witnessing Heather's birth and battling Samael is a must. What else? Oh, seeing Cybil was pretty good, and trying save her or not is something you just need to battle through.

But, if those don't do it for you, how 'bout this? The piano puzzle! The best riddle in the series...
The hate I hate believing...
I never saw it coming...
You have your orders, soldier...
Lemex
Gravedigger

Post by Lemex »

Not interested in SH1? Are you kidding? One good reason to play it: See Silent Hill when it was brand new, fresh. See the cursed town through Harry Mason's eyes (we saw his daughter struggle, and you need to see what he went through.)
I can think of a second reason too! Checking out Harry 'The Man' Mason's ass as he does one of his manly backsteps.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

The original is a classic. I remember playing it not knowing what the hell is going on.
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I first played this when I was eleven, but then my PSX stopped working and my PS2 wouldn't play PSX games because it was faulty. Eight years later, my sister came across a functioning PS1 and bought it home for me. I played Silent Hill on it and at the very first few moments I thought "...this isn't how I remembered."

Maybe bcause back then, the graphics were pretty amazing. The graphics did put me off, but I beared with that, played through and realised that the game was just as I remembered it, if not better. And the nurses no longer terrify me. :mrgreen: I remember being eleven and going to bed scared because I thought nurses and knife weilding demon kids were out to get me. (Yes, I live in England, but we had rented out Silent Hill early and we found it was the demon child version rather than the teddybears (was there a recall?)... or maybe that was just the demo with the original Metal Gear Solid... That has demin children in it, regardless of country.)
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

Even though I've never felt the urge do to a replay on this game, I really appreciate it and I'm really glad I played it. I mean, graphics-wise, sometimes it can be extra scary because you're thinking, "What the hell is that??"

In all seriousness, I didn't fell that this one's story nor characters were any less than the other installments. Just because the main storyline dealt with the cult didn't mean that the characters and story weren't fleshed out, and just because the graphics are a little dated didn't mean the gameplay wasn't enjoyable or the puzzles weren't difficult.
blueoccult

Post by blueoccult »

Hey man, the graphics may look like a dog took a sh*t on them, and the dialog sounds like it was written and voiced by stoned, retarded baby rabbits, but hey, that game is beasty. Even now, ten years after it came out, the game never fails to give me a scare or two. Now THAT is saying something. Oh, and the story is amazing, and I promise you this game will be like nothing you've ever played before(cept for the other Silent Hills, of course >.>)
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I don't think the graphics are that bad... Do you remember Beast Wars for PSX or Golden Eye for N64?? Those were BAD graphics...
blueoccult

Post by blueoccult »

Kage, I consider all graphics for the PS1 bad, mostly because they are so old, but thats the point. In fact, one of the reason I liked SH1 was because of the bad graphics, it gave it that creepy, everything is messed up feeling. At least I think so. Also made some of the creatures scarier, most because of the fact you cant really see them until they are ripping your face off (like those things on the roof of the sewers, those things still scare me sometimes)
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I don't think that could be a good attitude, uis like to say that every movie before 1995 is shit cause they hadn't good effects...

SH was amazing for his time, just have in mind that everything exist in real time, even the health drinks, first aid kits, etc have shadow and light effects with your flashlights...

How do you consider the graphics previous consoles?

I know that the graphics or the old consoles are low if you compare them with the actual macbines, but in their time they were awesome... You can't just insult the work of other people just cause is lower than the actual products; how would you feel if I see the drawings and homework that you made in the preschool and call them dog shit just cause they can't be coimpared with a lot of artwork that i can find in DeviantArt?

Think about it and respect the work of the other people; it would make you a better person...
Glazarus
Historical Society Historian

Post by Glazarus »

Playing the first game helps establishing alot of things that makes sense of things later on. Playing all Silent Hill games helps the understanding of one of them.

And I consider Silent Hill 1 having timeless graphics. I can enjoy it and think it's good even if it ain't in modern standards. Walking down the corridor of the hospital before it turns into the otherworld is still looking good.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
blueoccult

Post by blueoccult »

KageReneko wrote:I don't think that could be a good attitude, uis like to say that every movie before 1995 is shit cause they hadn't good effects...

SH was amazing for his time, just have in mind that everything exist in real time, even the health drinks, first aid kits, etc have shadow and light effects with your flashlights...

How do you consider the graphics previous consoles?

I know that the graphics or the old consoles are low if you compare them with the actual macbines, but in their time they were awesome... You can't just insult the work of other people just cause is lower than the actual products; how would you feel if I see the drawings and homework that you made in the preschool and call them dog shit just cause they can't be coimpared with a lot of artwork that i can find in DeviantArt?

Think about it and respect the work of the other people; it would make you a better person...
You clearly did not understand (or read) my response post. I said that yes, the graphics are crap by to days standards, and the dialogue sucks, but that is part of its charm. In a way I love it for those reasons, and it just would not be what it is to me if it wasn't like that. And yes, I will say that an old movie has horrible effects, because I will be comparing them to today's standards. If I said, wow, those are nice effects for being made in, say 85, or hey, those are nice graphics for a game made in 1999. But I said the graphics look like dog shit, which they do by today's standards. Besides, I was also trying to put myself in his shoes and try to convince him that, yes, the game is still good. Also, I would probably agree with you about work I did in preschool being dog shit, because compared to what I can do today, it is. Maybe you should try to respect the opinions of others and at least try to understand the things you read before getting defensive about something that I love just as much as you do.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I read your post and I got all that you said... I'm just saying that you shouldn't insult the work of other people just cause it can't compete with today's standards...

I'm not forcing you to think the same that I think,I respect your opinion but I also want to express my opinion about all that you said... I never would call anything dog shit if that was made with hard work and effort...
blueoccult

Post by blueoccult »

Ah, well, let me just say, I do that to just about everything. I am always calling things a like or things I own crap or something of the sort. I do not mean to offend or insult, it's just the way I am.
dagoth_jeff
Just Passing Through

Post by dagoth_jeff »

For obvious reasons!
It's the ONLY game that has come across as frightening and disturbing. SH2 did fine, but the true horror wasn't there 110%. The graphics aren't great, but it won't matter. (Morrowind's graphics weren't impressive, and I think it's the greatest game ever.) You're making a big mistake if you never play this game. The intro and the intro's music were friggin' perfect. SH1 nailed it.
Silent Hill is the only game that has ever scared the living crap out of me.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Anpther fact is that this is the most realist game of the saga along with SH2... In SH you can't see the map or find items or check anything with the light off, Harry also bumps and falls like a normal guy would do in the real world... SH2 lost some of those clumsy actions (I really loved them) but kept the light advantages (Even you need to find a light bulb for use a key)... After SH3 everygame lost the realism, the only difference between the light on and off is to have a better vision and maybe that the monsters find you more...
Revolutionlost
Just Passing Through

Re: I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Post by Revolutionlost »

I knew the story to all of the Silent Hill games by watching "Let's Play" runs on Youtube before I played the game myself. But that didn't make me any less interested in playing the games. It's a whole different experience when you're playing it for yourself, plus SH1 is a classic.
"If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James."
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

You simply aren't as much of a Silent Hill fan if you haven't played the first game. IMO, it's the second best game in the series, after 2, and it's my third favorite game ever, after SH2 and SMT: P3FES.

I don't think the graphics are a problem at all. I rate graphics at how they are for the time period. A good looking ps1 game has better graphics to me than a bad looking ps3 game. SH1's graphics had good colors and a good style that lent itself very well to fear. The camera angles were excellent and the game may have had the best looking Otherworld, although SH3 did very well with that too. The game looks a little off in daylight but the dark and otherworld areas look fantastic. Really the only thing that's mega offputting is the terrible pop up that's in the daylight areas, but pop up is just a bad thing no matter what game it's in and has nothing to do with age, although I believe it's more prominent in older games. I most certainly do not think all ps1 games have bad graphics. Final Fantasy VIII still has amazing graphics to me, and at times even VII. I'm also always impressed by the clarity and draw distance in the first Spyro. Honestly, I like the style of ps1 graphics better than that of modern games. Also, like many have said, I think that SH1's graphics help make it scarier. The game does a very good job visually of building dread and having it pay off.

Musically, it's not as pretty as SH2 but it may be the best at generating fear. The opening theme is one of the most amazing pieces of music I've ever heard. Gameplay wise, best level design of the series, from a gameplay standpoint the School may be the most excellent level of the series, not to mention it's the first full Otherworld level of the series. The game's scenes are not as well done or as lengthy and plentiful as SH2, but the actual plot may technically be better, and many find Lisa and Alessa to be very iconic characters. Personally, I love Kaufman. The voice acting starts off awful, but gets better.

If you haven't planed the game, you haven't seen:
"Huh? Radio. What's going on with that radio?"
Entire Town Transformations into Otherworld, a rare event in the series.
The Cat in the Locker
The Corpse in the Locker
The Giant Lizard Fight, IMO the scariest thing in the series
Lisa's Transformation
The Fourth Floor
One Boss that Evolves Into Another
The Opening Video
Silent Hill Bloopers
-And You Therefore Suck

Silent Hill 1 is essential horror gaming, and, as should be obvious, essential Silent Hill gaming.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Yes, the graphics are dated, but the games still stands the test of time. The atmosphere, music, and psychological horror is all right there. To me, it's the second scariest of the series. followed by SH3. Just like Dr. Eggnog said, the music isn't the best cinematic wise, but it is great in that it makes the player feel scared and uncertain throughout the entire game. And the final boss was a blast to fight against in my opinion. One of the best bosses in the entire series.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

It's worth it. I feel like Doctor Eggnog covered what i wanted to say, PLUS some. Bloopers? lol
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Well here's the bloopers if anyone has not seen it before. It's not much, but I've gotten some chuckles out of it. I just wish there were more funny moments though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D55dq_Ffhx8
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun