I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Re: I'm not at all interested in playing this game.

Post by Zeraylph »

Graphics don't mean jackpot.

It's all about the story plot. Knowing the end = spoiler without the entire story.

Anyways, this is an amazing game, the only otherworld out of the entire series in my opinion that can be creepy.
Steel floors, good soundtrack. Classics...
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Graphics do have a little bit to do with the general enjoyment of a game. lol. But they're really not all that bad. The square look is in these days! It's nostalgic!

And true, the story is worth it.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

^ I agree about the graphics thing. It was probably one of the reasons it took me so long to play #1 because I saw screenshots and thought, wow, that is one ugly game and convinced myself that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it because of that. But, as I've learned in the past, screenshots never do a game justice. The graphics are still bad though, but atleast I can now say I have played the first game even though I spoiled nearly everything for myself prior to playing it.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I like the way lots of ps1 games look. I appreciate the looks of Final Fantasies VII and VIII more than X and XII, because they seem even better for their respective times. I love the way SH1 looks during the Otherworld levels, fantastic, and just when it's dark in general. When it's snowy and light the pop-in is just so bad that it does honestly harm the experience. Enemy design is ok, love the nurses and doctors, plus the Lizard and Moth.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Agreed. There's a certain charm to how these old game looks. And it's nostalgic.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

PIE!!! wrote:Agreed. There's a certain charm to how these old game looks. And it's nostalgic.

Tru dat....when i first played this game i didn't think it was going to be much more different than RE, but this was one of the first true horror games, that creeped me out...i'm talkin' sweaty palms freaked out...truly a more terrorfying experience than RE ever could be.......and even tho the graphics wasn't the greatest...what this game was doing in terms of the new streamlined and flashlight technology back then was considered cutting edge....especially the effects of the flashlight.....it may not have seemed like it, but they were pushing the psx to it's limits with the techniques they trying back then...
JaaamesSUNDERLAND!
Just Passing Through

Post by JaaamesSUNDERLAND! »

I went back to Silent Hill 1 a few months back after having not played for years...and I still found the Overworld parts amazing to look at, not to mention the soundtrack, which was just so intense and I'm really yet to find anything else outside of the SH franchise which is quite as menacing/dark/industrialized/pant-wetting. So I can only echo the opinions of the previous posters, but's it so so worth it!

On a slight sidenote, the second time I played through SH1 after all those years it seemed so much...shorter? I remembered the game taking a while to get through but just sort of shot through it...wierdness.
''Watcha call me a murderer for? I nivah killed anybody!''
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ The first game is one of the shorter ones, along with 3, while 2 and 4 are longer I've found.
JaaamesSUNDERLAND!
Just Passing Through

Post by JaaamesSUNDERLAND! »

Quite possibly. Unfortunately I never got to the end of 4...remember 2 taking a decent amount of time, considering there was an extra scenario with Maria included - and 2 was the SH I always kept coming back to anyway.
''Watcha call me a murderer for? I nivah killed anybody!''
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ The first game is one of the shorter ones, along with 3, while 2 and 4 are longer I've found.
And I thought you had played 0rigins. . .

. . .

I hate that graphics talk, in every game. You play a game for what? To see the textures of the floor and how "beautiful" they are? I don't.

For those that don't want to play the first game because of the graphics: I can only shrug and let you alone, to your own thoughts. Everything that I'll write won't mean shit anyway. :|
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ SH1 and SH3 both took me about 3 to 4 hours my first time through, SH2 about 7 hours, SH4 about 6 to 7 hours. Origins took me about 5 hours my first time through so it was about in the middle for me. All keeping in mind that I sometimes used walkthroughs or strategy guides.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I had the same problem as you. I played Silent Hill 2 and 3 and a little of 4 before I even looked at 1. The graphics, I thought, would definitely be a turnoff. However, after starting the game and giving it a chance, the graphics didn't bother me at all. I think they give it a nostalgic feel. Reminds me of the video games that were popular when I was a kid. I kept playing it and the story was very interesting and made the game fast-paced. I loved figuring out the puzzles and the ambient noises were classic. Definitely give it a try, at least.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

As far as I'm concerned, graphics are not important, only aesthetics. How nice a game looks has more to do with art design than texture quality and polygons. Higher quality graphics can help make a game look more REAL, but not necessarily "better."

Of course, PS1 games tend to not hold up very well in the aesthetics category because of weird looking blockiness (FF7), but I never had this problem with SH1. It's a very nicely designed game, and looks great. It still has some of the best designed otherworlds in the series.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

I to have never played the 1st one but I have played SHSM.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

jeremyjh wrote:I to have never played the 1st one but I have played SHSM.
Then you're missing out. SHSM is basically a completely different game. Play the original, it's well worth it... it's still one of the best games in the series.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I agree with Tillerman, playing SM has nothing to do with playing 1 except that they're both SH games.
Walternate
Just Passing Through

Post by Walternate »

Don't let the graphics get in the way, Silent Hill is a true classic.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

I will but I have played then all expect 1 and Homecoming what do you mean by screwed up.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

True story: I like the graphics in the original Silent Hill better than the graphics in any other Silent Hill game.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ That's not completely insane, they're my second favorite graphics in the series after SH2, which I thought had much better scene animations and attention to detail.