How old were you when you played the first silent hill?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

valtiel_unknown
Just Passing Through

How old were you when you played the first silent hill?

Post by valtiel_unknown »

What effect did it have on you, and or does it still have on you. Is it scary? Or plain ridiculous?

It made me jump, but no matter how scared I got, I'd still keep playing. Silent Hill is my game of choice in survival/horror games.
Congratulations, Rose... You've made it. Your Reward, The Truth!
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

Easily sixteen and very infatuated. It's still my favorite in many ways.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

^^ Likewise to both of you, I know it had to be atleast 5-7 years ago, I'm 19 now.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I was almost nineteen. The year was 2001.
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

I was in my late 20's, my nephews made me a gamer.
SH1 was the very first game and I was hooked, then I played RE and the deal was sealed.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

But... if you're 38 now, then you were already past 30 when you played SH1.
Wayward Soul
Gravedigger
Location: Purgatory. Neither Heaven nor Hell will accept me to their Kingdom Gates.

Post by Wayward Soul »

I think I was about seventeen or eighteen when I played SH2, but I can't remember when to tell you the truth.
[url=http://robb-wayward.deviantart.com/][color=blue]Some walk on the path of Light[/url][/color]
[url=http://youtube.com/user/RobbWayward][color=red]Some walk on the path of Dark[/url][/color]

I shall walk on both paths.
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

alone in the town wrote:But... if you're 38 now, then you were already past 30 when you played SH1.
Yes, you are right, I was in my early 30's then. My mistake.
Wow, that means it's only been 5yrs since I became a gamer, it seems sooooo much longer than that.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
Hometown
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hometown »

I was about 12 or so. Silent Hill really re-defined what horror means to me.
[img]http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5659/sig6ku.gif[/img]
BloodyThesis
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodyThesis »

Ten. I'd rented it without really knowing what to expect. I sat down and popped it into my PS and played it all the way through to your first visit to Alchemilla Hospital. (Without dying once, which I'm proud of, for some inane reason.)

Somehow, I'd missed getting the map at the entrance an' when I got to the Nightmare side with all the scary nurses and no map... I just gave up. The next day, I had to return it to the video store and that was that. I completely forgot about the series until the release of Silent Hill 3.

It's funny. You'd think that playing the game at such a young age would have been more frightening or have had some negative effects, but, really... I was fine. The only places that did get my heartrate up a lil' were Midwich Elementary and Alchemilla. Strange.

Ha. I do remember laughing at the sound of Harry's footsteps on the grass in the residential areas. When running from the dogs, I always made sure to stay on the grass-- that springy-rubbery sound still amuses me when I play today.

And I loved just running around the streets and looking at everything. I think my playtime by Alchemilla was something like 6 hours, 'coz of all the needless sightseeing I did.

Silent Hill really got me started on the whole 'survival horror' genre. Without it, I probably would never have bought Resident Evil 2 or Clock Tower.
Komov
Just Passing Through

Post by Komov »

31. I played it for a first time just a couple of months ago. Definitely the most 'scary' game of all that I played so far, even though it didn't scare me at all. :(
[i]"It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."[/i]
Xev

Post by Xev »

I was 28! I first played SH up at my dads house. I never have lived with him and I decided to quit my job one day down here and drive up to go visit him and stay about a month.
(A lot of crap was going on at the time and I needed a break!)
So while I was there he was looking around for a new game to play on PS2 and I said that I heard of this game called Silent Hill and he should get one of them. Wound up that SH2 was there at the shop, a used copy.

So we played it til the end and finally beat it a few weeks later! (Yes it took us that long lol) Just in time too cause I had to leave a day or so after. It was cool cause the game was something that we both did together and that among other things I remember about that trip up there cause we really connected.
The_Ophidian
Just Passing Through

Post by The_Ophidian »

I was 20 (just some months ago), it was the scariest game i've ever played...
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/silverlily4/sigs/ophidian.jpg[/img]
Thanks to dish01 for the signature pic!
Mits_Giotix
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Mits_Giotix »

I was 13-14 years old when I first encountered the silent hill games. I saw my cousin and a friend of his playing SH1,and I was hooked. Up till then,I was afraid of horror games,but when I saw SH1...well,i instantly changed my opinion :P.
Nowhere = Now + Here
cl8on
Just Passing Through

Post by cl8on »

Around 12. I had seen it briefly advertised on television and thought that it looked quite interesting and I was a fan of many Konami games at the time.

I also liked the idea of exploration in a game and I was very interested in Tomb Raider games and had read that Silent Hill was quite similar to them, i.e. locating items to progress through the game.

So I went and purchased it and was amazed immediately. At the time, it was one of the few games that I could frequently play without it becoming monotonous; the alternate endings really helped and were quite unique back then.
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

I was 18 when I played SH1. One year after I first played my first Silent Hill game, which was SH2. I bought my ps2 in 2002 and SH2 was one of five games that I bought along with the console.
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

I was about 16 and watching other people play. I never heard of the game and they was saying how good the graphics was and that it's really scary. I got obsessed quickly and for months kept borrowing a copy from this dude. It was adults that introduced me to this game. I got my own factory sealed copy a few xmas's ago before the movie craze made them really expensive and rare. 8) I rarily play my official copy. I only play it when I feel like dragging out my PS1 & then I baby it every step from case to console and back again. I usually just play burned copies I've made for pc emulation so the OG disc stays safe tucked away.
czeresthra
Just Passing Through

Post by czeresthra »

I think I was 19 when I played Silent Hill for the first time... it was shortly after it came out anyway, and since I'm now 26 that seems about right.

I've never found the games scary, just... creepy (which is naturally why I love them so). The town reminds me of where I live, which is a smallish town in rural Oregon. When the fog rolls in at night my heart beats just a little bit harder and I walk just a little faster, and I suddenly get the urge to play again.

SH2 was the only reason I was interested in getting a PS2 when it first came out. Turns out some life stuff happened and I didn't actually get my hands on it until about a year and a half ago.
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8931/userbar184041sv5.gif[/img][/url]

[color=red][i]never put anything in your mouth that you can't spell.[/i][/color]
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

11, it was when it first came out. I borrowed it from my mum's boyfriends son and I crapped my pants.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

I was 17 when I first played it.