How old were you when you played the first silent hill?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

NeoRanger
Just Passing Through

Re: How old were you when you played the first silent hill?

Post by NeoRanger »

I was 16. I was going through a rough patch (i.e. my computer was shite on a sandwitch) and I discovered the beauty of emulators. Played it non-stop some 5 or 6 times and I was never scared of anything ever again.
Aleister
Just Passing Through

Post by Aleister »

I was 19 when I first read an article about Silent Hill on EGM, back then I had a monthly subscription to the publication and found the article on the game. I remember reading about the "skinless dogs" "empty town shrouded in fog" and "Cult" in the article and it got me interested. So I finally ended up getting the game when it was released a few months after I read about it. I played the game for hours and days and was hooked...so I was 19.
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

I was sixteen the first time I played Silent Hill. Borrowed it from a friend. I stayed up all night completely blown away by the story, the atmosphere and especially the sound. I was happy thinking "finally, a game that has pressed me to use my mind and analyze my surroundings!"

Last night I was reminded of this, now at twenty-seven. After playing through again last night, I feel like I reclaimed a huge part of myself and it's a great feeling.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

I played SH4 when I was 11
What's the big deal - Laura
pt2ph8
Just Passing Through

Post by pt2ph8 »

I'm not really sure, but I guess I had the chance to play the first Silent Hill when I was 10 or something like that. I fell in love with the series only some years later, though.
AlwaysFresh
Just Passing Through

Post by AlwaysFresh »

I played SH2 around the time it first came out, I think I was about 12. I didn't play the first one until years later when I was 18 and started an ebay account.
harrymason3456
Just Passing Through

Post by harrymason3456 »

I played it when I was about 5 or 6,in 2002 or 2003.It scared the life out of me.
I understand now,it's time to end this nightmare - James Sunderland
Dream_Demon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Dream_Demon »

I was really young. I don't remember the age exactly but it was before my teens. It might've been around the date it first came out. I remember getting it from gamestop and having my mom buy it for me since I was so young. I can't recall my experiences but I remember thinking I had actually died in the beginning and rage quitting. I did fall in love with the series though.

I think my SH2 experience was better because I actually remember it.
BillyWindow
Just Passing Through

Post by BillyWindow »

Eighteen, and I STILL regret playing it at night. Note to other players: Do NOT play this game at night. It WILL give you nightmares for weeks.
"We're all okay until the day we're not"

Star Trek Online Character Name: Lieutenant Caroline Metrios
Commanding Officer, USS Oklahoma City NCC-97825
Kaede
Just Passing Through

Post by Kaede »

BillyWindow wrote:Eighteen, and I STILL regret playing it at night. Note to other players: Do NOT play this game at night. It WILL give you nightmares for weeks.
What if they want nightmares?
BillyWindow
Just Passing Through

Post by BillyWindow »

Kaede wrote:
BillyWindow wrote:Eighteen, and I STILL regret playing it at night. Note to other players: Do NOT play this game at night. It WILL give you nightmares for weeks.
This is a valid question. There ARE people who do want nightmares, however, I am not one of them. This is why I finished the first Silent Hill during the day.

Kaede
Just Passing Through

Post by Kaede »

BillyWindow wrote:
Kaede wrote:
This is a valid question. There ARE people who do want nightmares, however, I am not one of them. This is why I finished the first Silent Hill during the day.
It's why I play it at night only.
BillyWindow
Just Passing Through

Post by BillyWindow »

It's why I play it at night only.
O RLY?

Rayder
Just Passing Through

Post by Rayder »

Well, I first played SH1 in either 2000 or 2001, so that would mean I was 32 or 33 at the time. Geez, it seems like I was younger than that, but obviously not.

I haven't played that game since. I'd have to play it on an emulator now though...my PS1 died many years ago. I just have a few remnant games left, such as SH1.
For whatever reason (let's call it Silent Hill syndrome) my emulator won't run it. It runs all the other games, but I just get a black screen with SH1. Luckily, I found a deal that was called a (con)version package of SH1 for the PC that does work. Just installed it yesterday. Seems to be working pretty well with all the settings slammed to the max. :D
eeks
Just Passing Through

Post by eeks »

16 maybe. I was terrible and played SH3 (my first game) when I was 14, then SH2 when I was perhaps a little older. Then again, I might be mixing up the order i played SH3 and SH2, as a school friend gave me his edition of Silent Hill 2 (which he didn't like), and that may have been my first game... Eek. I don't know any more. :lol:

Anyway, it took a while to scout out the first game. Additionally, a fellow forum-goer airmailed me a burnt copy of the first game on PC, so I think I played that before hunting down the PS1 game on ebay.
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

hmmmmmmm 13
Just passing through since 2007.
therednurse
Just Passing Through

Post by therednurse »

I was 17 (back in 1999, when it was first released). Was hooked from moment one.
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

I was 8 and i had to stop because i was getting bad nightmares.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I was 13 or 12 when i played SH2 and beat it, I truely loved it, bought my first SH when I was 13/14, it was Origins, then I bought SH1 on PSN, and borrowed the rest from my ex who's obsessed with SH. She's the reason I even bothered picking up SH2 in the first place x3 I've played all of them now except Homecoming
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

17, two years ago.