Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Post by Resurrection »

Nisto wrote:I don't have that. It might just be a mislabeled release of Ambient Vol 1 by Zero-G though.. ? Because I don't recall seeing any Vince Clarke library called Ambient.

Have you tried mounting the disk image with DAEMON Tools first, then opening the DT drive in CDXtract? Sometimes that is the only thing that will work (e.g. "Now" and "Rhythm of Life" by AMG). I think it has to do with CDXtract and Extreme Sample Converter not properly reading the disk images, because both of the .bin files are formatted as 2048 bytes per sector instead of the more common 2352 bytes per sector. And it doesn't help that neither of the programs lack support for CUE files.
It appears me like damaged when i tried that, maybe they upload it wrong, just for the description caught my attention, this the link: http://audiohunt.biz/sample-libraries/V ... 17222.html
Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Post by Resurrection »

Nisto wrote:I don't have that. It might just be a mislabeled release of Ambient Vol 1 by Zero-G though.. ? Because I don't recall seeing any Vince Clarke library called Ambient.

Have you tried mounting the disk image with DAEMON Tools first, then opening the DT drive in CDXtract? Sometimes that is the only thing that will work (e.g. "Now" and "Rhythm of Life" by AMG). I think it has to do with CDXtract and Extreme Sample Converter not properly reading the disk images, because both of the .bin files are formatted as 2048 bytes per sector instead of the more common 2352 bytes per sector. And it doesn't help that neither of the programs lack support for CUE files.
It appears me like damaged when i tried that, maybe they upload it wrong, just for the description caught my attention, this the link: http://audiohunt.biz/sample-libraries/V ... 17222.html
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

As expected, I could indeed open it in CDXtract by first mounting it with DAEMON Tools Lite (4.41.3.0173). There are a few exclusive samples on it, but for the most part, it is just a demo-of-sorts of Zero-G's Ambient 1/2 (kinda odd, considering the publishers are different, but oh well).

EDIT: I can now confirm that's a mislabeled rip of "Lucky Bastard". There really never was such a thing called "Ambient" by Vince Clarke.
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

Does anyone know where the Clavinet Sample from "Sickness Unto Foolish Death" is from? I don't know of many old sample CDs with clavinets on it and I don't think Akira ever had a clavinet
If it isn't unhealthy, is it worth it?
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

^ It *might* be a Mellotron flute patch. Although I couldn't quite reproduce the timbre and overall sound of the original. Mind you, this is just the pure patch with a small amount of reverb though. Maybe there's some additional effect(s), like vibrato, and maybe an equalizer?

https://instaud.io/28NN
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

Forgive me Nistro for my previous wording but I just realized you thought I meant "clarinet". I am referring to the Clavinet/electronic clavichord. It starts at 0:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Frwgx_MKc
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

O-ooh.. I feel so silly. I did read it as clarinet. And in that case, never mind me, because I have no idea where that may be from. Sorry. :(
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

Silent Hill 3
Track: Sickness Unto Foolish Death
Sample Library: Vintage Time Traveller
Sample Name: CLAV DUO
Time of Sample: 0:40

This whole sample library has a lot of vintage organs, synth and piano sounds, even a rickenbacker and hofner bass. There's a few mellotron, optigan and orchestron sounds as well but only the basics like violin, flute and choir.
Last edited by BlockMind on 09 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

I don't have that library, let alone have I heard of it.. Any idea what year it was released?
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

Mislabeled first time my bad!

While I couldn't find the lone sample cd's release date I did find that it was re-released as a box set called Sonic Traveler, which included three other cds called World Traveler, Modern Songwriter and American Heartland. Vintage Time Traveler, which was released in 2002.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Ahh, okay. Found it!

I was sort of praying it would be this library (?) from the Making of SH2 (top one in the pile). It's one of the missing pieces for SH2 samples at least, but I've never seen any cover quite like the one in that video. It might just be a software package or something after all. :(
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

That CD has to be a sample pack or sound fx library. It just seems too strange to have a software package on top of all his sample cds while composing.
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Oh hey, I used to have that library! I remember getting it just because of the cover. lol I never payed much attention to it, though. I still have some other Sonic Reality libraries. They released most of their libraries in Reason Refill format, and back when I was a Reason user, I was constantly collecting Refills. I have a Trip-Hop library from them. A Mellotron, and couple of synth libraries from them, as well. I'll go through them and see if I recognize anything.
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

BlockMind wrote:That CD has to be a sample pack or sound fx library. It just seems too strange to have a software package on top of all his sample cds while composing.
It might actually be a music album, even. Because, I mean, he's got the SH1 OST leaned against his screen, so who knows. And speaking of which, does anybody recognize the CD next to it? The cover has a green landscape with two guys in front. Kinda looks a bit bizarre if you ask me. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's an interesting CD. :P
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

The possibility of it being a music cd is definitely high. What if he sampled a song straight from the cd for the SH2 soundtrack? The E-Lab sample kits (we know he used them a lot) used to have a lot of uncleared samples. Such as the "ain't no sunshine" drum intro by michael jackson (the drums of Null Moon) so what if a sample we thought was from a sample pack was actually straight from the original music disc? It's just conjecture so take it with a massive grain of salt.

As for the green landscape, it almost seems like two cds stacked together, notice they aren't perfectly lined up, almost like the one behind it is slipping sideways.

EDIT: Also the creepy moan during the cutscene before the first Pyramid Head Fight is in Sex Trax, first sound fx, didn't see anyone mention it (I just have it for the articles, I swear)
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

Nice find BlockMind!

Since now some of you are able to get into the SH2 sound files and their sequence, I am curios about 2 things that are shown in the "Making Of SH2".

First the footsteps. Is said that Akira "recorded hundreds of footsteps" in order to make the game feel more realistic. Is there these hundreds of footsteps in the files of the game?

And second, in the time 22:17 of the video: https://youtu.be/E1VKvED76WQ?t=1337 , the sound of the Lying Figure is played when Yamaoka plays the keyboard as if he was playing its sound, key by key (even with an aftertouch sample!), is this just one sample (which I suspect it is) or is it really being made by several short samples played in sequence as Akira is doing in the video?
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

Honestly I think they just took a shot of Yamaoka playing something on his synthesizer and layered those sound effects over it for the video. It doesn't sound like the sounds were captured live, being played through Yamaoka's monitors or anything. Also, Yamaoka is playing an old Roland JD-800, which itself doesn't have the ability to even play any of those sounds. I don't think that it has the MIDI capabilities to trigger a sampler, but I may be completely wrong.
nobody is anybody
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

VIVIsect wrote:Honestly I think they just took a shot of Yamaoka playing something on his synthesizer and layered those sound effects over it for the video. It doesn't sound like the sounds were captured live, being played through Yamaoka's monitors or anything. Also, Yamaoka is playing an old Roland JD-800, which itself doesn't have the ability to even play any of those sounds. I don't think that it has the MIDI capabilities to trigger a sampler, but I may be completely wrong.
I thought that when I first saw the video. Didn't seem right.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I've also always been curious about the footsteps. The video says that he "created" hundreds of footstep sounds for the characters, but, knowing what we know, I think it's a safe bet that Yamaoka didn't actually record any of those sounds himself. They probably all came from sample libraries. I suspect that he used some stuff from the Sound Ideas library "Foley Footsteps", but I just don't have the patience to sift through all of those samples!
nobody is anybody
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

VIVIsect wrote:Also, Yamaoka is playing an old Roland JD-800, which itself doesn't have the ability to even play any of those sounds. I don't think that it has the MIDI capabilities to trigger a sampler, but I may be completely wrong.
I just searched for the user's manual of the JD-800 and it indeed has MIDI ports, IN and OUT, so, playing the devil's advocate, it could trigger those sounds, but I also believe it is put there in postproduction of the documentary.
VIVIsect wrote:They probably all came from sample libraries. I suspect that he used some stuff from the Sound Ideas library "Foley Footsteps", but I just don't have the patience to sift through all of those samples!
I think @Nisto is right now editing or getting all the samples of SH2 PS2 in order to put them in the next version of SH2 PC HD version so all the audio is in high quality. Maybe he knows about the footsteps if they really exist.