Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 15 Nov 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: remake silent hill 1

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
It was good art direction. The graphics themselves were bad even for the time it was released. I remember I was put off of SH1 for a while because I liked RE2. I revisited it later and was able to appreciate it for what it was: a decent game.

=====================================================

Subway Guard

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
The graphics were praised for being full 3D, unlike Resident Evil. And I'd say decent doesn't even begin to describe the first game, IMO. That word can be reserved for SH4. :)

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1015
Last seen at: In your fridge
I think that the Resident Evil graphics were a lot easier on the eye though. The pre-rendered backgrounds did wonders for those games visually.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1879
Last seen at: Los Angeles
True, however, it didn't allow much room for more of the "dynamic" camera work that silent hill presented. The major instance that stands out in my mind is when you travel down the alley way.
Well, and of course the exploration of town might be difficult to do with pre-rendered backgrounds. I could see it working for maybe a static shot of the outside of a building, but certainly not for normal exploration down the streets and whatnot.

Probably my main beef with prerendered backgrounds comes from playing ff7. I hated that I spent half the time in maps trying to figure out what was possible to navigate and what was just badly designed background. Resi never really had that problem since you were navigating a house, but ff7 made me want to pull my hair out at times.

I'm pretty pleased they chose to go with the look that they did. : P

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1015
Last seen at: In your fridge
If I remember correctly, there was an option in Final Fantasy 7 to bring up icons that indicated what was able to be interacted with and whatnot. I know that it highlighted exits and stuff and that was really helpful for finding where to go in some areas.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
^ It was helpful yes, but really the worst thing about FFVII was the field controls.

I typically have more problems with enemies being off screen in Resident Evil than in Silent Hill. I hate not knowing what I'm shooting at (the prisoner in SH2 notwithstanding). I like REs graphics ok, but Silent Hill 1 has my second favorite graphic style ever after Silent Hill 2. Both games were just art visually. Silent Hill 3 was a little hard on my eyes in some ways, though still a great looking game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17