remake silent hill 1

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

paladin181
Subway Guard

Re: remake silent hill 1

Post by paladin181 »

It was good art direction. The graphics themselves were bad even for the time it was released. I remember I was put off of SH1 for a while because I liked RE2. I revisited it later and was able to appreciate it for what it was: a decent game.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

The graphics were praised for being full 3D, unlike Resident Evil. And I'd say decent doesn't even begin to describe the first game, IMO. That word can be reserved for SH4. :)
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think that the Resident Evil graphics were a lot easier on the eye though. The pre-rendered backgrounds did wonders for those games visually.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

True, however, it didn't allow much room for more of the "dynamic" camera work that silent hill presented. The major instance that stands out in my mind is when you travel down the alley way.
Well, and of course the exploration of town might be difficult to do with pre-rendered backgrounds. I could see it working for maybe a static shot of the outside of a building, but certainly not for normal exploration down the streets and whatnot.

Probably my main beef with prerendered backgrounds comes from playing ff7. I hated that I spent half the time in maps trying to figure out what was possible to navigate and what was just badly designed background. Resi never really had that problem since you were navigating a house, but ff7 made me want to pull my hair out at times.

I'm pretty pleased they chose to go with the look that they did. : P
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

If I remember correctly, there was an option in Final Fantasy 7 to bring up icons that indicated what was able to be interacted with and whatnot. I know that it highlighted exits and stuff and that was really helpful for finding where to go in some areas.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ It was helpful yes, but really the worst thing about FFVII was the field controls.

I typically have more problems with enemies being off screen in Resident Evil than in Silent Hill. I hate not knowing what I'm shooting at (the prisoner in SH2 notwithstanding). I like REs graphics ok, but Silent Hill 1 has my second favorite graphic style ever after Silent Hill 2. Both games were just art visually. Silent Hill 3 was a little hard on my eyes in some ways, though still a great looking game.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.