Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Franck
Just Passing Through

Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Post by Franck »

Hello guys! I'm new to this forum. i was wondering if you guys know where i can have the sample from white noiz from silent hill 2. I know where its from and all but as a musician, i'm kind of broke hehe... and i just need that one sound.
On other subject i found something pretty interesting. I found a completely free vst that have a lot of atmos and its very similar to the sounds from distorted reality and bizarre guitars. You can use it with kontact and you have all the .wav files too. its called the pegasus project.
here's the link : http://99sounds.org/project-pegasus/

thanks for your time! :D[/color]
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

I found this track through a copyright claim on a portion of a video I uploaded, which surely must be a sample:

https://vesicatoria.bandcamp.com/track/apparition (at 2:42)

Does anyone know if we found this sample?
Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Post by Resurrection »

Can somebody tell me what library are this sounds from?

Im good with everything yall know, ty!

FUKURO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-TN_pMcxE

USAGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0hQf9byfwI&t=
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Nisto wrote:I found this track through a copyright claim on a portion of a video I uploaded, which surely must be a sample:

https://vesicatoria.bandcamp.com/track/apparition (at 2:42)

Does anyone know if we found this sample?
I'm not sure. but i do recognize it from SH2.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Silent Hill
Track: Meeting Cybil
Library: Sonic Foundry: Ambient Grooves
Sample: Ambient FX 08-07
Time: 0:00

Silent Hill
Track: THE BITTER SEASON
Library: Sonic Foundry: Ambient Grooves
Sample: Ambient FX 08-07

Silent Hill
Track: Dahlia's Guidance
Library: Spectrasonics: Distorted Reality
Sample: CRIKCHOIR1
Time: 0:01

Silent Hill
Track: KILLED BY DEATH
Library: Spectrasonics: Distorted Reality
Sample: CRIKCHOIR1
Time: 0:30

Silent Hill
Track: Alessa's Gift
Library: Sound Ideas: Series 6000
Sample: EXPLOSION, MEDIUM
Time: 0:04

Silent Hill
Track: HEAR NOTHING
Library: Zero-G: Malice in Wonderland
Sample: 61.1FLUTE1

Silent Hill
Track: NEVER AGAIN (1)
Sample: 62.1PLUCK

Silent Hill
Track: Dahlia's Guidance
Sample: 62.1PLUCK
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Great finds nisto like always.
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and glad to have found this amazing thread.

I might be late to the punch but I didn't see anyone point this out, I may have found the second sample for the music that plays in the Butterfly Room, the second part of Silent Heaven.

Silent Hill 2
Track: Silent Heaven
Library: Zero-G Altered States
Sample: Big Rubber Bands
Time: 1:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNOnFa-q3Y

Sorry if it was posted before, love this thread!
If it isn't unhealthy, is it worth it?
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

@Resurrection: Not sure if you still come back to this thread, but sorry for not answering sooner... I was hoping someone else would step up and help you out, as I hadn't jotted down the samples used in those tracks myself yet. Nevertheless, here is what we (I) know to date:

Fukuro:
  • "Ambient FX 08-11" from "Ambient Grooves"
  • "BIG BOOME" from "Distorted Reality"
  • "43 Destination Unknown" (sample 8​) from "Wall of Vinyl"
  • "06 Murder Mystery Part 3" (sample 4) from "Skinned"
Usagi:
  • "96FXDRLP4" from "Chemical Beats"
  • "Ragga Loops" (sample 1) from "X-Static Goldmine 4"
  • "Trip Hop Chant" (sample 3/6) from "X-Static Goldmine 4"
  • "TP Shortwave 24" from "Too Phat 2"
  • "TP Misc FX 1" from "Too Phat 2"
  • "X ALARM05" from "XX-Large Production Effects"

@peronmls Thanks :wink:

@BlockMind Yep, it's already been found (sorry). I believe it's originally from Cuckooland Asylum.
Last edited by Nisto on 20 Apr 2018, edited 5 times in total.
BlockMind
Just Passing Through

Post by BlockMind »

^Ahhhh what a shame. Oh well.

How many mysteries are left to solve? Has that twinkle sample in Heaven's Night (around 0:02) been discovered? I couldn't find it with the search function

And I think the choir in Betrayal was mentioned but again could find.

Also, that sample in Fukuro sounds a bit like SYNTHFX_OS_FONT878_MS from Asylum. Just pitched down and with the start cut-off. I could most definitely be wrong tho.
If it isn't unhealthy, is it worth it?
Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Post by Resurrection »

Nisto wrote:@Resurrection: Not sure if you still come back to this thread, but sorry for not answering sooner... I was hoping someone else would step up and help you out, as I haven't jotted down the samples used in those tracks myself (yet). From the top of my head, here's what I know (will update this post if I remember more later, it's pretty late at the writing moment):

Fukuro:
  • "Ambient FX 08-11" from "Ambient Grooves"
  • "BIG BOOME" from "Distorted Reality"
  • "Destination Unknown" (sample 8​) from "Wall of Vinyl"
Usagi:
  • "96FXDRLP4" from "Chemical Beats"
  • "Ragga Loops" (sample 1) from "X-Static Goldmine 4"
  • "Trip Hop Chant" (sample 3/6) from "X-Static Goldmine 4"
  • "TP Shortwave 24" from "Too Phat 2"
  • "TP Misc FX 1" from "Too Phat 2"
Oh and I spotted a new one, I think, around 0:36 in Fukuro (and not the high-pitched vocal-like fx; rather, the drowned-out low drum/fx loop going on, which I think you'll pretty much only spot if you've heard the raw sample a couple of times); I believe that's a Cuckooland sample, but I can't remember exactly.

You can probably find a couple more samples by searching this thread for the respective track names (either at the bottom, or with Google).

@peronmls Thanks :wink:

@BlockMind Yep, it's already been found (sorry). I believe it's originally from Cuckooland Asylum.

Thank you so much for answer man i really apreciate it! :D :D
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

@BlockMind: The piano sample in Heaven's Night hasn't been found. I'm dying to find it myself though.

As for samples remaining to be found (assuming we're only talking about BGM); I don't think I can give you a definite number for all the titles. And we probably don't all agree on what's BGM as opposed to a jingle/ambiance/whatever.

Only SH1-3 had BGM that was 'live-sequenced' (think MIDI + SF2), meaning that the raw samples were contained within the game data. Later titles were all pretty much streamed (think MP3), which makes it hard to know how many samples were even used for a given track, because you can only guess by ear.

I 'formally' began documenting sources of the raw BGM samples in SH1 into a simple text document a couple of years ago, and since then, the list of samples to be found has shrunk from the total count of 193 down to 76, and plenty of the remaining ones are actually duplicates (i.e. identical samples that were used in multiple tracks).

I haven't quite done SH2 and SH3 the same justice, because frankly, before moving on, I want to focus on finding as many SH1 samples as possible to avoid confusions. A lot of them are really short, so you really have to have a critical ear. Before I sit down and look through libraries for samples, I usually go through all the remaining samples one more time to refresh my memory of what to look for. That way, I (hopefully) don't mix up sounds I've heard before as being from SH1 when I've actually heard them in SH2, or vice versa.

Although, for SH2 and SH3, peronmls did give me a collection of in-game BGM samples, wherein he marked samples that have (probably) been documented here, by renaming them with a prefix. As far as I can tell from those, we've found 92/316 samples from SH2, and 50/76 samples from SH3. Keep in mind that I received that sample collection from him a few years ago now, though, so I doubt it's up to date.
Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Post by Resurrection »

Fermata in mystic air bells, do yall know this too? ty in advance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTuFnAVjiKw 0:40

Also i found this synth from i dont know what track from silent hill is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eZ8WEbBVO4 2:44
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

@Resurrection: The vibraphone samples in Fermata in Mistic Air are from a Mellotron Mk II. There are numerous sources of it, but the most common one seems to be the CD by Mellotron Archives.

I don't know about the synth sample.. it doesn't sound familiar to me?
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

@Resurrection I suggest you to write this in google:

"Samples used by Akira Yamaoka" "(name of sample or song)" site:silenthillforum.com

I remember Nisto suggested me this, it really works, so you can be sure if anything has been already found.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Actually, it turns out Google does miss some samples when indexing, so it's not entirely reliable. I couldn't find a couple of samples when doing a search the other day. However, I found a solution to search only within this thread via the internal search:

- Click the "search" button in the menu above to the right
- Enter a search query and configure the search options the way you like
- Click search
- When the results are displayed, add &t=16347 to the URL in the address bar
Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Post by Resurrection »

Nisto wrote:Actually, it turns out Google does miss some samples when indexing, so it's not entirely reliable. I couldn't find a couple of samples when doing a search the other day. However, I found a solution to search only within this thread via the internal search:

- Click the "search" button in the menu above to the right
- Enter a search query and configure the search options the way you like
- Click search
- When the results are displayed, add &t=16347 to the URL in the address bar

Yall help me a lot with that thank you! i already finished all the pages, still downloading mellotron libraries didnt find that exactly bell yet.
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

I am not sure about this sample, but if you play Analog FX 1 in 260dB AMG in loop mode, forward and backward, sounds very familiar. I feel is from SH1 or SH2
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Avith wrote:I am not sure about this sample, but if you play Analog FX 1 in 260dB AMG in loop mode, forward and backward, sounds very familiar. I feel is from SH1 or SH2
It's used in two tracks in Silent Hill 2. One plays by the prison basement (it's called Tormented Soul in the Firebrandx gamerip), and the other track is unused and only appeared in one of the trailers. I'm not sure if we did find that sample yet, but it's not marked in the sample collection I got from peronmls. Nice!

Silent Hill 4
Track: 07121 It's Just A Dream, Right?
Library: Cuckooland Unhinged
Sample: COCTISH
Resurrection
Just Passing Through

Post by Resurrection »

I found a very rare library called vince clarke ambient what yall know about this? i downloaded from audiohunt but i cant extract with cdxtract, nero, ultraiso.. etc.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

I don't have that. It might just be a mislabeled release of Ambient Vol 1 by Zero-G though.. ? Because I don't recall seeing any Vince Clarke library called Ambient.

Have you tried mounting the disk image with DAEMON Tools first, then opening the DT drive in CDXtract? Sometimes that is the only thing that will work (e.g. "Now" and "Rhythm of Life" by AMG). I think it has to do with CDXtract and Extreme Sample Converter not properly reading the disk images, because both of the .bin files are formatted as 2048 bytes per sector instead of the more common 2352 bytes per sector. And it doesn't help that neither of the programs lack support for CUE files.