Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Post by peronmls »

Nisto wrote:So I think I found the CLAW FINGER sample. It's a small cut from a longer sample on Underfire (track 60).

Sample from the game data
Sample from Underfire (uncut, stereo)
Sample from Underfire (trimmed, stereo)
Sample from Underfire (trimmed, downmixed to mono)

This exact sample is used in NEVER AGAIN as well.

I decided to see what CLAW FINGER would sound like in stereo. :P
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/484 ... h1/R/R.wav
your links are down.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Ugh, Dropbox banned my public links due to excessive bandwidth usage or abuse.
I've changed the links in the original post.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Nisto wrote:I decided to see what CLAW FINGER would sound like in stereo. :P
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6wyy2yrgly2oswz/R.wav
Taken down...
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

WHAT? It works for me... Is it just that one link that doesn't work? But seriously, what the hell. I'm so sick of file hosts right now. Any ideas where I can host stuff without problems like these?
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

The other Mediafire links are working (nice find, by the way!), but for that one particular link, I get this error: http://imgur.com/fcvvFcX

It may have gotten flagged by some automatic copyright... thing. That kept happening to me on Soundcloud when I tried to upload a Yamaoka cover.
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Oh... they've started doing that now. I guess it's that close to the original, huh. I'm wondering if this is what caused the ban on Dropbox as well... Anyway, thanks for the details. I will see if I can find an alternative in some corner of this tragic world that will let me actually share it.

EDIT: Updated the original post with a new link for the song once again. Third time's a charm?
TheDamnChicken
Just Passing Through

Post by TheDamnChicken »

Both sites worked. It's amazing hearing the oldies with higher fidelity!
TechnoMysterio
Just Passing Through

Post by TechnoMysterio »

Anybody know the sample used throughout the whole of Silent Hill 2's "The Prison Basement"? Thought I heard it in an episode of Farscape too, in a June 1999 episode, so it might be from a library before then.

Starts at 0:00 in this video, all the way through it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEYqUDhmiu8
alxsilent
Just Passing Through

Post by alxsilent »

I think this has been documented but i couldn't find any info using google search

Silent Hill 1
Track: 36 Not Tomorrow 2
Sample Library: Titanium Rhythms 1
Sample Name: low hits 4 0009
Time of Sample: 0:29

guys is there something wrong with my sample CD ? because my samples are so low quality compared to silent hill samples.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

The Titanium Rhythms libraries, afaik, were never really released in any form of sliced samples, just simple CDDA tracks. The original track for the sample you posted has samples in both channels, so whoever sliced it probably screwed up, and it sounds like part of the sample in the other channel ends shortly after the start of the NOT TOMORROW 2 sample. Could be why it sounds low quality, I guess?

Also, I ran through the samples from the game data about a dozen times a few weeks ago and came up with a lot of potentially new samples, and most definitely all used samples from Titanium Rhythms (that were present in the game at least, the OST CD is a bit different).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/484 ... amples.txt

If there's something I've missed that we've found, let me know!
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

alxsilent wrote:guys is there something wrong with my sample CD ? because my samples are so low quality compared to silent hill samples.
You mean low quality as in low bitrate files?

Didn't someone here end up getting an actual physical copy of Titanium Rhythms? I can't remember. I'd like to rip/encode/edit the samples myself if I could ever get my hands on it. The copy that I have are .aiff files that were edited, according to the file properties, in 2003!
nobody is anybody
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

VIVIsect wrote:Didn't someone here end up getting an actual physical copy of Titanium Rhythms? I can't remember.
Me. 1 and 2
alxsilent
Just Passing Through

Post by alxsilent »

Nisto wrote:The original track for the sample you posted has samples in both channels, so whoever sliced it probably screwed up, and it sounds like part of the sample in the other channel ends shortly after the start of the NOT TOMORROW 2 sample. Could be why it sounds low quality, I guess?
That explains everything so i should look in CDDA.
VIVIsect wrote:You mean low quality as in low bitrate files?
Yea overall bit rate is lower
I have the .aiff copy like you but the sample doesn't play at right speed besides bad quality

I'm really interested in the sample that Nisto posted "MAP000_00004.wav", is it possible that akira used some samples to make ambient then resample it in higher octaves?
I can't think of anything sounds like that!

Also i was looking for old sample CDs and found this on SOS.
BIZARRE PLANET
Sample CDScore = 3
August 1992
Maybe it's a different name from a sample CD like Bizarre Guitar or something but who knows :roll:
orlando077
Just Passing Through

Post by orlando077 »

jdnoidea9 wrote:
Nisto wrote:
Nisto wrote:Can anyone help place this? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/484 ... 0f67a8.wav
I think I mistook it for this sample from Null Moon.

jdnoidea9: to be completely honest, I personally didn't like your latest track quite as much as your previous works. But keep it up, I always love hearing stuff from people around here! :)

Silent Hill
Track: Rescued
Sample Library: Zero-G: Total House
Sample Name: cherub's wind (track 16)
Time of Sample: 0:00
Aaww whaaatt :D it was more of a sample demo if anything anyway, I think the sample itself isn't too bad though :)

Also, does anyone know what that vibrato bell sound is from "Tears Of" ? SH1. I swear I've heard it in other places or something extremely similar... is that a sample?

Also that guitar sound from Alone in the town... I've been looking for guitar samples like that for ages
The sound of electric piano in "Tears of", "Forest", and "I've been losing you" likely taken from 3D Keys library.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

orlando077 wrote:The sound of electric piano in "Tears of", "Forest", and "I've been losing you" likely taken from 3D Keys library.
Are you thinking of any particular sample/patch? I just checked it and I didn't really spot anything that sounded particularly close.
orlando077
Just Passing Through

Post by orlando077 »

Nisto wrote:
orlando077 wrote:The sound of electric piano in "Tears of", "Forest", and "I've been losing you" likely taken from 3D Keys library.
Are you thinking of any particular sample/patch? I just checked it and I didn't really spot anything that sounded particularly close.

patch RHDSLWMEVMO83 I think this is the patch of his electric piano
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Not finding that exact name anywhere. Misspelled?

Is that a mellotron string sample I hear at 0:33 in The Reverse Will from SH2?

Silent Hill 3
Track: Breeze - in Monochrome Night
Sample Library: East West: Twisted Textures
Sample Name: A Moment in Trust
Time of Sample: 1:30
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

Nisto wrote:Is that a mellotron string sample I hear at 0:33 in The Reverse Will from SH2?
That's definitely some mellotron strings. To me, it also sounds like a vocal sample layered on top, but I'm not sure. The flute later in the track is also definitely from a mellotron.
Nisto wrote:Silent Hill 3
That reminds me, I need to record a cover/recreation of this track. ha Was the second drum loop at 2:27 ever found? I want to say that it was...
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Kosmos wrote:
Nisto wrote:Silent Hill 3
That reminds me, I need to record a cover/recreation of this track. ha Was the second drum loop at 2:27 ever found? I want to say that it was...
Haha, I'm doing that just now myself. :D I'm about halfway through. I was wondering about the drumloop, too. Isn't it just a variation of the first loop maybe? There's three variations of the loop in Return To The Planet Of The Breaks.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

The loop definitely sounds like a variation of the main loop, but I checked Return To The Planet Of The Breaks but I didn't find anything. I need to find the CDDA version of that library. The only version that Zero-G currently sells (and the one I have) is the REX only version, but according to this 2002 review from Sound on Sound, there is a CDDA version. It might be on there!
nobody is anybody