Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Post by Nisto »

jdnoidea9 wrote: 20 Feb 2022 Check the second sample in this, straight after the waterphone at 00:02. That’s the same sample as you’ll hear in “Devils call” from SH2

https://youtu.be/pfQCIBeNCZI

I wonder if those scary in-game sound effects have ever been found, such as that one? Or the one from “After” from SH2, or that gnarly synth sound that plays while you’re in the labyrinth (SH2)?
That has been found. Zero-G Ambient Volume 1 - track 35, sample 2

The labyrinth sample has yet to be found, assuming you're referring to this sample. The only other "gnarly" sound is that same one mentioned above, from Ambient V1, just played differently.

I am not sure about the track "After"; it's not a title I'm familiar with, and I couldn't find it on YouTube. If you could find it in the rip by Firebrandx, it would be easier for me to tell.
jdnoidea9
Just Passing Through

Post by jdnoidea9 »

Nice! I need to check that “Ambient” library out :)

Also, the labyrinth synth sound I’m referring to is in the same video you sent - only, at 1:47.

After is “Combing town west” I just remember it was called after in a compilation video, has the sample from that been found?
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

jdnoidea9 wrote: 24 Feb 2022 After is “Combing town west” I just remember it was called after in a compilation video, has the sample from that been found?
Combing Town West consists of two samples, and none of them have been found sadly.
rollergirl
Just Passing Through

Post by rollergirl »

Hi all. Does anyone have an up-to-date archive with all the samples that have been found so far?
Droo

Post by Droo »

rollergirl wrote: 28 Jul 2022 Hi all. Does anyone have an up-to-date archive with all the samples that have been found so far?
I'm not sure if anyone has been keeping track of all of them. The regular posters in this thread might know, though.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

rollergirl wrote: 28 Jul 2022 Hi all. Does anyone have an up-to-date archive with all the samples that have been found so far?
Yup:
TechnoMysterio wrote: 19 May 2021 As it's been a while since this thread has had activity, I should probably mention that I and some others on the VGM Discord server have been continuing to make Silent Hill sample findings over the past few months (recently the scream in Until Death was found for instance). We've been listing these findings as well as noting older ones in a Google Sheet (as Nisto mentioned previously), which can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ySDLF2eZa4

It's mostly complete for the first four games, although the section for later games still needs to be worked on. Hopefully it can act as an easily usable list for SH samples, especially since the Discord server itself isn't good for storing findings.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
rollergirl
Just Passing Through

Post by rollergirl »

Vixx wrote: 01 Aug 2022
Yup:
TechnoMysterio wrote: 19 May 2021 As it's been a while since this thread has had activity, I should probably mention that I and some others on the VGM Discord server have been continuing to make Silent Hill sample findings over the past few months (recently the scream in Until Death was found for instance). We've been listing these findings as well as noting older ones in a Google Sheet (as Nisto mentioned previously), which can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ySDLF2eZa4

It's mostly complete for the first four games, although the section for later games still needs to be worked on. Hopefully it can act as an easily usable list for SH samples, especially since the Discord server itself isn't good for storing findings.
I'm not sure if I can find anything on this list on my own (I'm new to making music). Could you provide a link to the archive with all this?
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

rollergirl wrote: 01 Aug 2022 I'm not sure if I can find anything on this list on my own (I'm new to making music). Could you provide a link to the archive with all this?
Sorry - I don't have one. You'll probably have to go through every page of this thread to find them, I'm afraid.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

Will Yamaoka use old samples again for the SH2 Remake? We will see.
Meanwhile here is this sample (not sure if Yamaoka made the Teaser sound design):

Silent Hill f
Track: "Silent Hill f Teaser"
Sample Library: Distorted Reality 2
Sample Name: HELP ME
Time of sample: 0:31
Droo

Post by Droo »

I don't believe it's been confirmed if he's doing f, but it seems to me they likely would have advertised if he was.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

To me personally it just seems strange to bring back Yamaoka only to have him rework old songs from a soundtrack he made 21 years ago. Time will tell if he's involved in the other games.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

Jonipoon wrote: 21 Oct 2022 To me personally it just seems strange to bring back Yamaoka only to have him rework old songs from a soundtrack he made 21 years ago. Time will tell if he's involved in the other games.
Same with Ito. They already made a great work in SH2, I wished they made something new for a full new game.
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Arkadiusz Reikowski announced that he’s “involved” with the SH2 remake. Honestly I just expect them to mostly reuse Yamaoka’s original work with some new stuff by Yamaoka/Reikowski tossed in. In that case… meh. Not really a fan of that other guy’s stuff.
nobody is anybody
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

I have no insider knowledge on this one, but given the link between Ito's blossom concept art and Sakura and/or f, I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved. Same for Yamaoka. I know he was supposed to be scoring PT, FWIW.

Arkadiusz Reikowski is fkin superb and for those who don't know, worked with Yamaoka on The Medium. Am DELIGHTED to hear he's part of the SH2R team.
V xx

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I really like The Medium's soundtrack so that's nice to hear they're both involved.

Pretty sure SILENT HILL 2: REMAKE's soundtrack will primarily be recreations of the original, though I bet most of the ambience will be the same as the original.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Speaking of The Medium’s soundtrack, I still get a kick out of the fact that I mentioned two different sample libraries in this thread (Darkness: Cinematic Sound Design from Big Fish Audio and Dark Skies from Zero-G) as sounding “like something Yamaoka would use.” Sure enough, he ended up using both of them pretty extensively on The Medium’s soundtrack. We should start making predictions as to what he’ll use if he does make some new SH music.
nobody is anybody
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>We should start making predictions as to what he’ll use if he does make some new SH music.<
Let's just make our own Silent Hill soundtrack using samples and see how similar it ends up.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

The Adversary wrote: 24 Oct 2022 >We should start making predictions as to what he’ll use if he does make some new SH music.<
Let's just make our own Silent Hill soundtrack using samples and see how similar it ends up.
Didn't we do that a few times already?
Droo

Post by Droo »

2 or 3 Volumes as I recall. I did a song on one of them.
Lives in the mirror"
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

The Adversary wrote: 24 Oct 2022 Let's just make our own Silent Hill soundtrack using samples and see how similar it ends up.
So you mean a 4th release of the Silent Hill Heaven Soundtrack 8) https://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2921
Last edited by Avith on 24 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.