Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

TheDamnChicken
Just Passing Through

Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Post by TheDamnChicken »

Hey guys, have anyone found the breathing samples that are used in "On Corticosteroids", and "Leonard Theme"?

On Corticosteroids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9cU3I8Ql9M
Leonard Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeeUrA9WnZE

Edit: Nisto found some nightmare fuel. I'm very (dis)pleased. I'm not sure why these sounds gets to me.
Last edited by TheDamnChicken on 11 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

As for the first one, I have no idea about the source library, but if it helps any, I found it among the game data... https://www.sendspace.com/file/5my46w

I do believe the second one has been found, but I can't quite remember... Maybe in one of the Cuckooland libraries?
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

I haven't checked, so I don't know for sure, but the first one is probably a snippet of a sample from the Nightingale Voice Box (Sound Ideas).
nobody is anybody
jdnoidea9
Just Passing Through

Post by jdnoidea9 »

Should anyone come across this sample

Or any of these

Or these awesome samples

Please shout me the name of the library they come from (if they do come from a sample library) :)

Thanks guys, keep up the good work!
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

TheDamnChicken wrote:Hey guys, have anyone found the breathing samples that are used in "On Corticosteroids", and "Leonard Theme"?

On Corticosteroids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9cU3I8Ql9M
Leonard Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeeUrA9WnZE

Edit: Nisto found some nightmare fuel. I'm very (dis)pleased. I'm not sure why these sounds gets to me.
I wanna find the nurse breathing sample too. Along with other monster sounds.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Okay, I know it was kinda already discovered that he used the Mellotron CD for KILLING TIME, but I've been curious which exact samples were used. So I'll post what I manage to figure out.

The first two high notes are quite interesting to me in terms of music theory, because the samples are actually an octave apart, but when played together, it sounds (to me anyway) like they're only one or two semitones apart. Very cool.

Silent Hill
Track: KILLING TIME
Sample Library: Mellotron Archives: Mellotron
Sample Name: D3GUITAR
Time of Sample: first high note

Silent Hill
Track: KILLING TIME
Sample Library: Mellotron Archives: Mellotron
Sample Name: D4GUITAR
Time of Sample: second high note
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

Does anyone have Dance Pack Vol. 1 from Zero-G? It includes a version of Return To The Planet Of The Breaks that, according to the website, has 260 samples. That's a lot more than the version of the library that they sell alone. The REX version that I have has half of that.

I'm still looking for the second beat used in Breeze - in Monochrome Night, which I think might be a variation of the main beat (which is found in Return To The Planet Of The Breaks). Maybe it's in that Dance Pack?
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Wasn't that library released after SH3 though?
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

The Dance Pack library/compilation was, but I'm thinking that it includes more material from the original 2001-2002 CD release of Return To The Planet Of The Breaks than what is included in the version that is currently being sold by Zero-G.
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Ah, I see. I did find a GarageBand release, but I'm not sure what that really is.. ?

Speaking of Breeze, does anyone know the source of the piano? Or where I might find something similar? I have been playing around with 1920 Upright Piano from SampleTank for a while, but I can't get it to sound as rich as the original, despite lots of tweaking in EQs, ADSR, adding reverb, flange effects, etc. My result just sounds so thin in comparison. In the original, when the piano first comes in, at about 1:30, it sounds almost electric (bad description). Maybe I'm missing a layer of notes or something? Currently, I just go F#4 -> A-4 -> B-4 -> C#5 for that very first part. Also, it kinda sounds like there's 4 notes on the next chord, but I could really only discern 3: C#5 -> D-5 -> E-5 ... am I missing something?

Original (sliced): https://clyp.it/byv2wuqj
Recreation: https://clyp.it/koojpzvq

Any ideas would be appreciated!
TheDamnChicken
Just Passing Through

Post by TheDamnChicken »

To me it sounds like you use too much dry, and your drums are more pronounced in mid/low. Maybe try LP below 30hz with a smooth curve? Frankly both versions are really good. :)
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I was able to get the Zero-G Dance Pack. The version of Return To The Planet Of The Breaks that is included contains a bunch of different loop variations that aren't included in the version that I have. Unfortunately, it only contains the uptempo beats. So, the "gtrspill" beats aren't there. Ugh. Why do you do this to me, Zero-G?
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Hmm, wait, my version of Return to the Planet of the Breaks has both REX and WAV files, with "ambient", "dry" and "full" variations and there's 5 different versions of Guitar Spill. Is that what you had originally as well? The drumloop for Breeze is the second version, "gtrspill_2", which actually does sound significantly different from the other 4 loops imo. Nevertheless, the second drumloop of Breeze is not in my version either, as far as I can tell.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

I have the five variations of the gtrspill beat. I was just hoping that there were more variations out there. Like, you know how the download versions of some of these old libraries are stripped down versions of the original physical CD releases? Maybe more of those original samples ended up in a different version of the same library. Zero-G is bad about that. But as far as I can tell, the Return to the Planet of the Breaks that is included in the Dance Pack is the same as the ProSamples "Breakbeat 3" version, and neither of those contain the gtrspill loops at all.
nobody is anybody
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

So much time without posting lol

Silent Hill 2
Track: "Prison of the Mind"
Sample Library: Distorted Reality 2
Sample Name: Water Tanks
Time of sample: 0:00

Silent Hill 4
Track: "Tender Sugar - Empire Mix"
Sample Library: 160 The drum&bass interface
Sample Name: 42-7
Time of sample: 0:28

Not sure about this one but it sounds very similar, maybe it was edited, there is even some reverb added:
Silent Hill 3
Track: "First monster encounter cutscene"
Sample Library: Evil Fx
Sample Name: CD3 - Track 70
Time of sample: 7:59 (of the video)
Last edited by Avith on 31 Dec 2016, edited 4 times in total.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

I think the regulars still check in at least once in a while even if we don't have much to contribute.. anymore.. sadly :(

Anyway, nice find. It's one of those samples that could be anywhere, ugh!
darclord
Just Passing Through

Post by darclord »

Hello I was curious if it is allowed to use these samples in a product. Like if we wanted to make horror game, and use the samples to make music. They are royalty free, so I am guessing yes. But, I just wanted to make sure.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

darclord wrote:Hello I was curious if it is allowed to use these samples in a product. Like if we wanted to make horror game, and use the samples to make music. They are royalty free, so I am guessing yes. But, I just wanted to make sure.
Well, legally, you would need to obtain a license, i.e., you'd need to actually purchase them in order to use them in any commercial work. "Royalty free" just means that you wouldn't have to continually pay to use them in your work.
nobody is anybody
asd
Just Passing Through

Post by asd »

Hey guys, VIVIsect and peronmls and others, firstly thanks for all of your tremendous work.

I have a very particular question you may be able to help me with
Any ideas on what drum libraries were used in SH2-4? Mostly
SH2 Overdose Delusion, Love Psalm, Promise, Angel's Thanatos are all feature the same fills and hat loops(or hits), snares sound identical too.
SH3 You're not here
SH4 Waiting For you, especially snares from Tender Sugar AND Cradle of forest, they sound similar aswell
I'm mainly interested in raw tones like snare from Cradle of forest, it has this distinct character and ring and I don't find this kind of snares in modern sample libraries.
those wide stereo hats sound nice too.
I thought maybe its BFD1 or some of the expansions but it could be some Loop libs from BFA or Zero-G, you guys know better I'm sure.

I don't think these are loops though(like vynil break stuff he uses), seems like there are some different sounding fills here and there but the main drums in all of the songs feel programmed

Any info on drum tones he used would be HUGELY appreciated.

ps secondly, is there any current archive with all the samples? I downloaded one from the first post but seems like its not everything discussed in the thread?

Thanks again
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

The "live" drums on all of those rock-type songs are really hard to place. I know that Akira Yamaoka can actually play drums. I've seen videos of him on drums, jamming with Joe Romersa. But I would guess that the drum tracks on all of those songs were probably programmed.

I know that Yamaoka uses Superior Drummer from Toontrack now (I've seen studio photos with the Superior Drummer VST pulled up on a computer monitor). These days, I use Addictive Drums, but I used to use Superior Drummer fairly regularly for my own music. With a little tweaking, I could get it pretty close to sounding like those Silent Hill tracks. I actually thought about bringing it up in this thread! No idea if that's what he was actually using back then, though. He could have actually used a real drum set for all I know. Sorry that I can't be of more help!
nobody is anybody