Silent Hill Heaven
http://silenthillforum.com/

Samples used by Akira Yamaoka
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16347
Page 85 of 86

Author:  Nisto [ 28 May 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Avith wrote:
Maybe he knows about the footsteps if they really exist.


After weeding out all re-used samples (hash-compared), the main sound effect samples (not counting the S-FORCE samples) add up to 372 samples. Among those, I only spotted around 30 foot step sounds. I know some foot steps are actually sequenced to alter the sounds a bit (or even to loop the foot steps in a fixed pattern), but that doesn't really change anything if you ask me.

Author:  VIVIsect [ 28 May 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

In the Sound Ideas "Foley Footsteps" library, each track is one "style" of footstep (footsteps on a particular surface, such as carpet, wood, metal grating) with variations (light/hard steps, running, turning around, etc.). I imagine that Yamaoka would have just grabbed a couple samples from a track to match a particular scenario (character walking on carpet, or whatever), and then just reused them throughout the game. I wouldn't think that he would need more than a handful of samples for every scenario with some variations. "Hundreds" sounds a bit excessive! lol

Author:  Nisto [ 28 May 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Yeah, in reality, there's a lot of lies in the Making Of video. I mean, they say that he created the foot steps, but I bet you my right leg that they're all taken from libraries. Although, to be fair, it might have been Yamaoka telling the Making Of producers that, so it's not necessarily the producers lying to us, but Yamaoka, rather. But I can see why he would. They don't credit the libraries anywhere (which is required by most library licenses), and my guess is that it's because Konami provided the libraries "under the radar" so to speak. Or just simply because he, as a private person, is not actually allowed to use them in that context/environment by licensing policies.

Author:  BlockMind [ 31 May 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Not sure if this was found, didn't see it mentioned

Silent Hill 4
Track: Silent Circus
Sample Library: Things that go bump in the night
Sample Name: AIRNOTE
Time of Sample: 0:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qcbseac74Y

Author:  Nisto [ 20 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on compiling a complete list of Silent Hill samples documented through-out the thread. Today I finally made it to the last page!!!

Now I'm working on verifying everything, and cleaning stuff up. I hope you can help me in this endeavor. I'll publish the list later, in a likely still-somewhat-draft-like condition, and I hope we can all collaborate on it in the future somehow. First off:

Does anyone have the CDDA release of Twisted Textures? Because I just realized the AIFF release is incomplete. It has 371 samples, whereas the AKAI release has 410 samples, and is specifically missing the Massive Attack sample ("Massive Track") which was used in Queen of the Rodeo. I am positive I'm not missing anything; the product page on Beatport confirms the count. The thing is, some of the Twisted Textures samples posted here in the older days appears to come from a CDDA release, as the names have track numbers and multiple samples per track. So if you can help me find this release, I'd appreciate it!

Author:  Avith [ 21 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Nisto wrote:
Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on compiling a complete list of Silent Hill samples documented through-out the thread. Today I finally made it to the last page!!!

Now I'm working on verifying everything, and cleaning stuff up. I hope you can help me in this endeavor. I'll publish the list later, in a likely still-somewhat-draft-like condition, and I hope we can all collaborate on it in the future somehow. First off:

Does anyone have the CDDA release of Twisted Textures? Because I just realized the AIFF release is incomplete. It has 371 samples, whereas the AKAI release has 410 samples, and is specifically missing the Massive Attack sample ("Massive Track") which was used in Queen of the Rodeo. I am positive I'm not missing anything; the product page on Beatport confirms the count. The thing is, some of the Twisted Textures samples posted here in the older days appears to come from a CDDA release, as the names have track numbers and multiple samples per track. So if you can help me find this release, I'd appreciate it!

Wow nice! It will be interesting to see finally a document about all this research we have made in 10 years :shock: :D

About the CDDA library, I just have the AKAI version (which I converted into Soundfount 2), although when I right click in my Twisted Textures folder it says "460 files, 76 folders".
Is curious you mentioned that sample (Massive Track )since I talked about it a week ago in another forum, but then I realized that I also have that sample, or at least the pad but not the piano sound, in my library is the very first sample and its named "BRTHNGCITY".

Author:  VIVIsect [ 21 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

I also noticed a difference between the old Eastwest version of Twisted Textures compared to the newer Beatport release.

There's a physical Audio CD copy on eBay right now. Seller is including the AKAI version as a bonus. But it's $57. Too rich for me!

eBay Link

Author:  Nisto [ 21 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

VIVIsect wrote:
I also noticed a difference between the old Eastwest version of Twisted Textures compared to the newer Beatport release.

There's a physical Audio CD copy on eBay right now. Seller is including the AKAI version as a bonus. But it's $57. Too rich for me!

eBay Link


Are you sure it's the CDDA version? I don't see it specified anywhere. The "Compact Disc" logo in the pictures is also too small for me to tell if it says "Digital Audio".

EDIT: Never mind, saw the catalog number and confirmed it through this article.

Halfsies anyone? I don't live in the US so shipping would be quite expensive...

Author:  VIVIsect [ 22 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Nisto wrote:
Halfsies anyone? I don't live in the US so shipping would be quite expensive...


I would seriously consider it if I weren't so ridiculously broke right now. I'll add the auction to my "watch" list to see if the price drops any. The time on that action is about to run out, but I imagine that it'll be relisted.

Author:  peronmls [ 23 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Ive been eyeing that CD for a while. I may get it but I though a audio version was already "out".

Never mind. Went ahead and bought it now that everyone was curious about it.

Author:  Nisto [ 23 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Cheers peronmls!

Also, does anyone recognize this? I'm quite confident I've heard it in a Silent Hill game, but I can't place it at the moment.
https://instaud.io/2lEJ

Author:  peronmls [ 23 Jun 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

If anything, I’d think it was from SH2. Sounds familiar.

Author:  Nisto [ 01 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Hey guys, I finally tracked down a demo of the real Ambient Atmospheres library - on Big Fish Audio's official site, even. They had this demo up between 2003 - 2008 with this same file name, but the MP3 file was never archived by Wayback Machine. However, I just tried changing the name on an active demo link, and it seems this is really it - it even has "Infinite Sound - Ambient Atmospheres" in the tags.

http://demo3.bigfishaudio.net/demo/ifs01.mp3

I think the sample at 0:38 is in A Stray Child (0:22). Or has that already been found somewhere else maybe?

EDIT: Never mind, that sample in A Stray Child is from Ghost in the Machine.

Author:  DarkWolf [ 02 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Anyone know if the drums in this track are Akira actually playing them live or just a loop? Either way I love the drums, so smooth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HAbkJZtJk

Author:  Avith [ 02 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

DarkWolf wrote:
Anyone know if the drums in this track are Akira actually playing them live or just a loop? Either way I love the drums, so smooth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HAbkJZtJk

Very probably a loop. The only drums played "live" (or at least being sequenced hit by hit) are the main rock themes AFAIK.

Author:  Resurrection [ 03 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

THERE ARE 3 CDS OF TWISTED TEXTURES?


http://pro-zvuki.narod.ru/akai.html

Author:  VIVIsect [ 03 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

DarkWolf wrote:
Anyone know if the drums in this track are Akira actually playing them live or just a loop? Either way I love the drums, so smooth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HAbkJZtJk


Yeah, it's almost certainly a loop from somewhere. I love those types of breaks, too. Check out the "Laid Back Breaks" drum libraries from Shroom. Really similar vibe.


Author:  Nisto [ 10 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Resurrection wrote:
THERE ARE 3 CDS OF TWISTED TEXTURES?


http://pro-zvuki.narod.ru/akai.html


Only of the AKAI version. The audio (CDDA) version is only two discs, where most of the tracks contain multiple samples.

Author:  DarkWolf [ 11 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

Thank you for your help!

Author:  BlockMind [ 28 Jul 2018 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samples used by Akira Yamaoka

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but in the background of Battle Drums, roughly around 0:24, the loading screen music from the mine from Postal 1 can be heard. Can anyone identify this sample?

Page 85 of 86 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/