Unhappy with Silent Hill 3's soundtrack

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Kampfgruppe Haus
Just Passing Through

Unhappy with Silent Hill 3's soundtrack

Post by Kampfgruppe Haus »

I should start this out by saying that I did like the soundtrack to SH3. However, it bothers me that a lot of the background music from the game didn't seem to make it on there. Most of what I heard was the music that played during the important cutscenes. A lot of good dark ambient and industrial stuff that you heard in the game got left out. Compare this to SH2's soundtrack, where every track from the game got on there. Is there some other source for the missing material?
Desperately seeking a real abandoned city, preferably in New Jersey or the tri-state area, where I can live out my Silent Hill fantasies. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone looks promising but it's kinda far...
QuestionSleepZz
Gravedigger

Post by QuestionSleepZz »

Yeah I guess they could have added more and not left out so many cool ones, but overall I like it.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Silent Hill 2's official soundtrack lacked most of the ambient/industrial stuff, too.
AngelsWhisper
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Unhappy with Silent Hill 3's soundtrack

Post by AngelsWhisper »

Kampfgruppe Haus wrote:Is there some other source for the missing material?
There are fan rips of the complete game soundtracks. I won't link to them as I'm unsure of the legality, but a Google search (sorry! Mod edit!)
"Gee it's as hot as hell in here."
"For me, it's always like this..."

[url=http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/][img]http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/images/banner02.gif[/img][/url]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Unsure of the legality? Can people not read floated threads in this part of the forum? :(
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Kampfgruppe Haus
Just Passing Through

Post by Kampfgruppe Haus »

So no special edition extra long soundtracks available? Bummer, I guess I'll have to make do.
Desperately seeking a real abandoned city, preferably in New Jersey or the tri-state area, where I can live out my Silent Hill fantasies. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone looks promising but it's kinda far...
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

The Silent Hill 3 soundtrack was still better than anything that came after it. So, I don't complain.
nobody is anybody
AngelsWhisper
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AngelsWhisper »

Krist. wrote:Unsure of the legality? Can people not read floated threads in this part of the forum? :(
That was a blonde moment. I knew that was there really.
"Gee it's as hot as hell in here."
"For me, it's always like this..."

[url=http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/][img]http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/images/banner02.gif[/img][/url]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I'll take your word for it, dear. <3
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

You might wanna check [removed - no linking or mentions of where to obtain ripped music] media site. I won't link to it for obvious reasons, but it has just about every piece of media from SH1 - SH4 available for download on that site.

The only piece of music that I want from SH3 that wasn't on the official soundtrack, nor available anywhere else that I've found, is the beautifully haunting piano tune that plays at the end of the game during the cut scene with Heather, Claudia and Vincent in the chapel. It starts playing right after Claudia stabs Vincent in the back and stops when Heather pulls out the Metatron Seal.

Part of this piece of music is on the soundtrack as track No. 25 entitled "Innocent Moon", but the version heard in the game is longer and has an extra piano melody. I love it, but there's no way to rip it from the game without the dialogue from the cut scene interferring.

I don't think even [removed] has it on his site, anyone happen to come across this piece as just a standalone piece of music?
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

Track No. 25? Thought it was track 10.

Anyway at least it has more music from the game than the SH4 OST.

Still, they should have included the longer version of Lost Carol in the soundtrack.
nanook in heaven...
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

silenced angel wrote:Track No. 25? Thought it was track 10.
Yes, you're right it is track No. 10 on the official soundtrack. The soundtrack I have is a more complete version and that particular track is actually placed at number 25.

Here's the music I was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caD9Uyn80MM

It starts playing at the 2:43 mark. It's a wonderful piece and I hope it finds its way onto a Best Of album or something in the future, along with all the different versions of the SH2 theme and other such remixes.

C'MON Akira it's what the fans demand! :o
og2203

Post by og2203 »

Damn you, Silent Evil, now I have to scour the Internet looking for that piano piece! That was so excellent!
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

og2203 wrote:Damn you, Silent Evil, now I have to scour the Internet looking for that piano piece! That was so excellent!
Let me save you the time, it's not anywhere to be found on the net. Not outside of the cut scene at least, believe me I've tried far and wide.

If that piece of music was its own seperate track on the game disc which happens to play during that cut scene, I'd have thought it would just be a matter of extracting it from the disc and converting it to MP3. However, it seems more likely that the music is part of the audio track of the cut scene itself meaning it would be virtually impossible to isolate the music from the dialogue that's mixed in with it.

Odd that only the beginning part of it was put on the soundtrack, but not the rest of it..........which is the best part. Then again, the same thing was done with "Not Tomorrow" on the SH1 soundtrack, so I guess I can't be too surprised about it. :?
og2203

Post by og2203 »

Fungo over at shm.silenthillfever.com is able to rip the audio from several cutscenes. Apparently, she/he has ripped the audio from the church cutscenes at the end of SH3, but the particular part with the song isn't in any of the three clips. Maybe someone should contact him and ask if he would get that particular part, with or without the dialogue.

The clips I'm referring to, are Before Final Battle 01, 02a and 02b under the SH3->Voice/Cutscenes.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

There are places to get the unreleased music, but I can't mention where. They exist though! I notice, also, that after the first SH soundtrack, the further soundtracks became more conventional without a lot of the industrial/scary background music played when in-game. I think they wanted it to be more focused on the actual "listening music" than the in-game scary music.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

I miss Joe Romersa's voice
nanook in heaven...
mr. mason
Just Passing Through

Post by mr. mason »

i thought the third ost rocked, its one of the few i'll listen to beginning to end.
Words are our worst enimies, Only actions speak the truth.
SHF

Post by SHF »

Kampfgruppe Haus wrote:I should start this out by saying that I did like the soundtrack to SH3. However, it bothers me that a lot of the background music from the game didn't seem to make it on there. Most of what I heard was the music that played during the important cutscenes. A lot of good dark ambient and industrial stuff that you heard in the game got left out. Compare this to SH2's soundtrack, where every track from the game got on there. Is there some other source for the missing material?
sometimes only parts of songs are in the game.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]