is it worth it?

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

is it worth it?

Post by Dr. Gordon »

Should I try to bid on the UK version of Silent Hill 2 to get the 'making of' dvd? Or should I wait it out for that PSP collection?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silent-Hill-2-PS2-G ... al-2-Disc-

Set_W0QQitemZ8258195671QQcategoryZ11324QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

edit: sorry about that. it isn't stretched on my computer.
Last edited by Dr. Gordon on 09 Feb 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Amazonagent
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Amazonagent »

Hey Loomis,
Could you edit that link...it's streching the page.

Thanks
GioGio
Historical Society Historian

Post by GioGio »

Go for both, set a price you're willing to bid and stop when/if it reaches that high.
Then buy the PSP collection, that's if you can afford to spend a few extra dollars.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

Because Silent Hill 2 is so awesome, I say yes. Mainly because it comes exclusively with Silent Hill 2 and has all Silent Hill 2 information on it (you also get a free SH2 sticker). You can find the Europe edition everywhere, however, it is hard to find one in good condition. Remember, the case is an unprotected cardboard box. Be sure the corners of the case are good. That is, if your wanting to collect it, too.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

When it comes to media I just can't help but not trust the e-bayers...I dunno there are so many bootleg copies of things.

But hey, why not Dr.? :)
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

Thankfully, it's very hard to bootleg most of the games. The things you really need to look out for are the OSTs and the PC games.
godspiel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by godspiel »

I'd rather bid on one that has an *actual* image of the item so you could see the quality of the case, manual and sticker (if it is indeed included).

Some of these are bought second hand from stores like EB, so they have a dirty big second hand sale sticker slapped on them, ruining the case. So be wary.

I have this edition of the game. Was the first PS2 game I bought and is in near mint condition after all these years. I store the game CD in a generic case so I don't have to man-handle the original and risk damaging it.

EDIT: Just noticed the going price of that particular item: If you're not too worried about the case and or sticker, it's definitly worth picking up for a couple of bucks. Just factor in shipping (international?)

EDIT part2: I can take some nice detailed pictures of mine and post them if it helps any.
[img]http://tcforums.com/public/perm/gdsplBNR.gif[/img]
[color=darkblue][i]Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen.[/i][/color]
purplepolecat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by purplepolecat »

What region is the bonus DVD ? UK is region 2, so you might have trouble playing it.

Even if it's region 0, it might not work on your TV cause it will be PAL not NTSC. This won't make an difference if you watch it on your PC.
I miss your kissin' and I miss your head
And a letter in your writing doesn't mean you're not dead
- Pixies, "Cactus"
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

I got the special edition... it is nice and worth it. It's also in a "collectors" box, which differs from every other PS2 games. I am really lucky my girlfriend back then, bought me that special version.

...whats a little scary though, is that my ex girl looked exactly like Mary on the photo. Now, a couple of years later, we haven't seen eachother for quite some time, I met her and she looks like Maria... I'm like... What the Hell??? :shock:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

purplepolecat wrote:What region is the bonus DVD ? UK is region 2, so you might have trouble playing it.

Even if it's region 0, it might not work on your TV cause it will be PAL not NTSC. This won't make an difference if you watch it on your PC.
I have Action Replay Max for my PS2, and it says it can play all region dvds. So hopefully it would work. I already have the game, I'm more intrested in the making of dvd.
godspiel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by godspiel »

purplepolecat wrote:What region is the bonus DVD ?
It'll be region 2. I remember they even packed the Aussie version with region 2, when infact we are region 4. Fortunately my PS2 is chipped so it was no hassle.
purplepolecat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by purplepolecat »

Just remember that all UK (& Australia ?) media is PAL, which is 50 fps.
US media is NTSC, 60 fps.

For some reason nearly all UK TVs & VCRs can cope with an NTSC signal, but I haven't seen a single US TV that can cope with PAL. This pissed me off when I lugged all my PAL VHS tapes to Canada, only to find they are useless.

I also have a region 0 DVD set from the UK (Robin of Sherwood !) that I can't watch on my TV, because it's PAL. If I play it on my PC it's fine, and if I route the Video Out from my PC back to the TV it's fine.
I miss your kissin' and I miss your head
And a letter in your writing doesn't mean you're not dead
- Pixies, "Cactus"
ControlFreak
Subway Guard

Post by ControlFreak »

Dr. Loomis wrote:I have Action Replay Max for my PS2, and it says it can play all region dvds. So hopefully it would work. I already have the game, I'm more intrested in the making of dvd.
Just be careful.
I have the PAL version of SH2 (I used to live in the UK) and I brought it over to the US, knowing that the PS2 lets you change the regions for the DVD player. The PS2 changed the region fine, but it didn't work.
Like others have said, the PS2 isn't the problem - it's your TV that won't be able to handle it.
godspiel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by godspiel »

purplepolecat wrote:(& Australia ?) media is PAL, which is 50 fps.
Correct.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Actually PAL media runs at 24 fps (DVD) and at 50Hz, while NTSC media runs at 29.97 fps (DVD) and at 60Hz.

Film also runs at 24 fps.
This is why some US and Canadian TV shows look more Vibrant because of the higher refresh rate.

There are some NTSC DVD players that will play non protected PAL movies and convert them in real time... such as some of the cheap APEX players.

As for the game itself.... yes take caution as your TV may not handle it.

A lot of todays projection and flat panel TVs might work with PAL directly (mine does), but a newer CRT TV might not. The older ones did, you just had to adjust the horisontal dial ( which newer TVs dont have anymore)

I used to play my PAL Amiga games on my older TV all the time!

I live in Ontario Canada by the way
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
Spong
Gravedigger

Post by Spong »

thagerty wrote:Actually PAL media runs at 24 fps
I think you'll find it's 25fps.
But what we lack in refresh rate, we make up for with a whole 16 lines of extra horizontal resolution. Maybe that's why american TV's can't do PAL, the actual image is larger.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd suggest buying the PAL SH2 and then ripping the VOB files from the "Making Of" DVD (which I've done). With the files on PC, you can convert them to comply with any TV standard you want and then burn 'em back on to DVD. That is, of course, if you've got the software and a DVD burner.
Dr. Gordon
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Dr. Gordon »

^^ I do have a burner. Thank you for that suggestion. i didn't think of that.