Silent Hill games on PC vs Consoles

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Silent Hill games on PC vs Consoles

Post by Anonymous »

Having finished both SH3 + SH4 on the PS2 and PC, I also have SH4 on the Xbox. I find the controls on the PS2 version the best but the PC versions graphically look the best.

So I hooked up my PS2 controller to the PC using an adapter, it mimics the exact controls on the PS2 version. However, the control is not as fluid as the PS2 version.

The great thing about the PC versions is how sharp and clear the graphics are and it is much easier to see, especially in SH3, with all those dark tunnels, rooms, and passages.

In SH4, there are graphical improvements and the PC version with my Nvidia 7800GT was very smooth at 1280x1024, its a DX9 game so all the shadow and lighting techniques are used to full effect, including pixel shading and transparency effects.

Very pleased with how sharp and detailed the PC versions look compare to the PS2 grainy picture quality. Even the Xbox version looks better but at lower resolution compared to the PC.

If you played all the SH games on the PS2, I urge you to replay them on the PC, they are so much better looking.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Damn stright....

I play them on my PC in my Home Theatre (110" screen) with 7.1 sound (SH2 and SH4 only, the rest have stereo).

I also use the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 and it plays perfectly.

One question, do your SH4 cut scenes look normal compared to the PS2 ? With every PC I've had, the cut scenes run at 15 fps and the focus effects are wrong (as compared to SH3 and the PS2)
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
Spudrush
Just Passing Through

Post by Spudrush »

i would just rather do it on a ps2, as they just feel better, and im not really concerned with graphics that much
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've been using a Kiky X-series PS2 controller adapter, and haven't had an issue with responsiveness (after the driver update anyway). FSAA works wonders for the SH games.
Heather_Mason
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Heather_Mason »

I haven't played the PC version for any of the Silent Hill games, but I heard the cutscenes are glitchy, and the controls aren't responsive enough, so, I'm going with the Console, version...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

SH 4 on the XBOX is fantastic, I just finished SH4 today, so ive completed them all. Cant wait for SH 5 now.
Heather_Mason
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Heather_Mason »

Micron wrote:SH 4 on the XBOX is fantastic, I just finished SH4 today, so ive completed them all. Cant wait for SH 5 now.
Yes...SH2 and 4 are fantastic on the X-box....I have SH1 and SH3 for PS2...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Only played SH4 on the X-Box so far, I found SH3 on play.com but was sold out, will try again soon, and will do the same for SH2 as Ive only played them on PS2
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Micron wrote:SH 4 on the XBOX is fantastic, I just finished SH4 today, so ive completed them all. Cant wait for SH 5 now.

Very true! :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I haven't played the PC version for any of the Silent Hill games, but I heard the cutscenes are glitchy

Might be a hardware issue (EDIT: Incompatibility). I've had no problems on my notebook.
Last edited by Anonymous on 14 Feb 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Heather_Mason
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Heather_Mason »

Kauser wrote:
I haven't played the PC version for any of the Silent Hill games, but I heard the cutscenes are glitchy

Might be a hardware issue. I've had no problems on my notebook.
More than one person said they had a problem...But, yeah, it may have been..
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Only SH4 has a minor cut scene glitch, the rest are flawless!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

SH4's cut scenes look fine, there is some tearing on some scenes but I skip them since I already saw them in the PS2 version.

One major problem with the PS2 version was that resolution was too low and pixellated.

Try looking out the window in the PS2 version, you could not see those other cars clearly or see Cynthnia clearly standing outside of the subway. The PC version has a wider screen aspect due to my resolution.

The controls are better on the PS2, more fluid less stuttering, the PC controls are ok.

SH3 looks really good on the PC, the gory details look really sick on my Dell 2405 LCD.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

I've played SH3 and SH4 on Pc and PS2 and the controls on the PC are fine. It might depend on your controller.

The lighting seems to be better on the PC version as well...

Spong
Gravedigger

Post by Spong »

I've always claimed not to be a graphics whore, but games on the PC compared to the consoles...man, they're eye-burningly sharp. SH3 minus its filter is a sight to behold.

Never had any problems with playing any PC SH's either, they all play and feel identical to their console counter-parts.