Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 25 Sep 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Least Favorite OST Tracks

Missing since: 15 Jun 2010
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: Texas, USA
Since the "favorites" thread was just started recently, I think its only fitting to start up its companion.

I only have the first three OSTs, so my list is incomplete for now.

SH1 - Not Tomorrow 1. Note that I don't hate the track as it appears in game, but I hate that this isn't the version we get on the OST. Just the short guitar melody rather than the protracted, mournful take on the main theme that I loved during Lisa's death.

SH2 - Angel's Thanatos/Devil's Thanatos (I've heard it translated both ways). This isn't a terrible track, but its placing on the album is just terrible. Totally disrupts the flow of the music IMO and I skip it on the CD almost every time it comes up.

SH3 - Sun. STOP TALKING DAMMIT!! I got this CD for the music, not cultist ramblings! I didn't mind the talking quite so much on my first few listens, but the longer I have this disc, the more I loathe it.

SHH Staff Writer
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 792
SH1 - Dead End
SH2 - Ordinary Vanity
SH3 - Sun
SH4 - Waiting For You ~LIVE AT Heaven's Night~
SH:O - Blow Back
SH:H - Who Knows
SH:SM - Hell Frozen Rain

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Jun 2010
Notes left: 72
Last seen at: New Jersey
SH1 - I agree with you on the soundtrack version of Not Tommorrow 1
SH2 - Angel's Thanatos. Its not my kind of music, personally.
SH3 - Prayer. Its effective in game, but outside of the game it gets a No Thank You from me :P
SH4 - Pulsating Ambiance. It just doesn't do anything for me.
Origins - Not Tomorrow 4. The other variations of this song are way better in my opinion.
Homecoming - Who Knows. As my friend put it "I don't even think Akira Yamaoka knows" Its such a ... I don't know.
Shattered Memories - No complaints, really, other then the soundtrack doesn't have some of my favorite songs in the game, and that some songs just sound better in game.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I also agree with Angels Thanatos. I don't really like the song on its own merits, and the placement on the OST is awful. It's like a stone hidden inside soft bread.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jul 2010
Notes left: 191
Last seen at: Heaven... but it's located in the middle of Australia... XD
As for me:

Room of Angel: When I first heard it, it was almost too boring and as being part musician, having it in this F key (can't tell whether if it's minor or not), makes my ears cringe, surprisingly. Therefore, the Room of Angel didn't work out for me and therefore avoided it completely.

But yeah. There were some that are commendable, but not this track, though.

Renegade Angel.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3832
Honestly, there isn't one single track on the entire Shattered Memories OST that I enjoy. To me, the whole thing sounds generic and half-assed. Anytime one of its tracks pops up on iTunes, I always find myself skipping to another song. I can definitely live without that one.

edit:

And I hate Angels Thanatos.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jul 2010
Notes left: 115
Last seen at: Britain
I didn't mind it too much at first. I got the OST a while before I finished the game and assumed it'd be used for some kind of boss battle. Corny, but acceptable.
But for the In Water credits? That's just absurdly inappropriate.

"Don't you know there ain't no devil,
it's just god when he's drunk"

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Feb 2010
Notes left: 11
I remember that I was pretty much dissapointed with Origins OST. It's like using the same formula over and over again. Boring.

Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 2121
i do like "angels thanatos" as a song, but it seriously clashes with the feel of SH2. not my least favorite, though. that honor goes to "you're not here".

the lyrics are fucking corny and unimaginative. typical top-40 crap, whining about a lost boyfriend or something petty. heather does not seem like the type to whine about love, and the lyrics have... nothing at all to do with the storyline. it's just awful, and it's made even more awful by the fact that the music is pretty cool.

why'd you have to go and slap a singer onto that track, yamaoka?

SHH Staff Writer
 Post subject:

crucifix wrote:
...it's just awful, and it's made even more awful by the fact that the music is pretty cool.

I'm glad that someone else feels this way.

I've nothing against McGlynn, but her voice cheapens the entire soundtrack. I remember hearing the instrumental version of 'You're Not Here' on the very first SH3 trailer and thinking to myself "damn, I want that song!"...then along came the game, and I hear the same kick-ass track only this time with some "singer" wailing all over it. That got a big "WTF!?" from me.

I'll give her credit for 'Room of Angel', because I feel that it is the only song that can actually get away with sounding melancholic enough to feature on a SH OST. However, the rest of her work sticks out like a baby in a blender. In fact, I'd say that the McGlynn tracks disrupt the flow of things far more than 'Angel's Thanatos' ever did.

Last edited by Badass Cyborg on 17 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2195
Last seen at: Koholint island
crucifix wrote:
i do like "angels thanatos" as a song, but it seriously clashes with the feel of SH2. not my least favorite, though. that honor goes to "you're not here".

the lyrics are fucking corny and unimaginative. typical top-40 crap, whining about a lost boyfriend or something petty. heather does not seem like the type to whine about love, and the lyrics have... nothing at all to do with the storyline. it's just awful, and it's made even more awful by the fact that the music is pretty cool.

I always thought that 'You're Not Here' was about Heather missing [spoiler]Harry after she loses him.[/spoiler]

Maybe I was just really crazy to think so? :?

Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 2121
i originally thought it was about harry as well, but it seems to be talking about a lover. "i'm strung out, addicted to you"... who would say that about their dad?

i don't think she'd call him "baby" either.

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2195
Last seen at: Koholint island
^ Point taken. Maybe it is pointlessly thrown into the soundtrack after all.

Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
Silent Hill Homecoming. Most of the songs arent good, just a few:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Least Favorite OST Tracks

Missing since: 06 Aug 2010
Last seen at: Nowhere
Betrayal. As in, the SH2 OST version. See, the first version of that song I ever heard was the in-game version (sometimes called 'Red Pyramids') with all the saws whining in the background. And for some reason the added effects made it that much more emotional for me. Does that make any sense at all? I don't like the OST version because it doesn't have those effects.

Oh, and You're Not Here. Just...blegh. :s It just doesn't sound good.

SHH Staff Writer

Mumbler wrote:
Betrayal. As in, the SH2 OST version. See, the first version of that song I ever heard was the in-game version (sometimes called 'Red Pyramids') with all the saws whining in the background. And for some reason the added effects made it that much more emotional for me. Does that make any sense at all? I don't like the OST version because it doesn't have those effects.

I agree.

I also found this to be the case with 'Theme of Laura (Reprise)' which, when I first found a copy of it, was known as 'Stairs of Fire' and included the lovely sounds of the ethereal ember in the background.

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
The only soundtracks where the vocal songs I enjoy are SH4 and Homecoming, oddly enough. Some of them are simple, trite, or strange, but I quite enjoy their mood and placement. Origins and SH3's vocal tracks aren't really my cup of tea, so I by and large shun them like bastard children.

I also really don't like half of SH1's soundtrack. It's just noise.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 06 Aug 2010
Last seen at: Nowhere
Badass Cyborg wrote:
I agree.

I also found this to be the case with 'Theme of Laura (Reprise)' which, when I first found a copy of it, was known as 'Stairs of Fire' and included the lovely sounds of the ethereal ember in the background.

Oh my god, this too! I forgot about that one! That was the first version of that song I got, too. I can understand why they'd want to exclude the background noises for the OST tracks, but I think in those cases it really added to the effect. But that's why we have all these dedicated geeks (like Fungo) out there to give us the versions we want. :D

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 25 Jul 2010
Notes left: 293
Last seen at: Fiji
Not Tomorrow 2. The whole atmosphere of the track gets ruined by some randomly put farting noises o.o
Angel's Thanatos.
You're not here / Letter from my future self (or how the hell it's named). Pop anomalies put on a soundtrack which was supposed to be dark and eerie.
Hell Frozen Rain.
Always on my mind. Another pop anomaly-.-

Semi-irrelevant notice: when Harry Mason of SM is at the sewers, he gets a phonecall by Cheryl saying "Daddy....don't come.". Then a great song can be heard. If I'm not mistaken, isn't this the song from the movie Frontieres and specifically from the scene near the end where
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yazmine screams under the rain after having bitten off an interesting amount of chunk off the facist woman's neck
?

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 12 May 2010
Notes left: 159
Silent Hill - Esperándote - Doesn't fit the game at all! Fortunately it wasn't part of the game.
Silent Hill 2 - Angel's Thanatos - The only song i didn't like from Silent Hill 2. It's just like Esperándote, it doesn't fit at all.
Silent Hill 3 - Memory of Waters - Not bad, but it's just not as good as the other songs.
Silent Hill 4 -Traversing the portals of reality, Fever Chill, The Suicidal Clock Chime: There are quite a lot of forgettable songs on this soundtrack, so i'm not gonna list them all. This is where i think it began to go a bit downhill, but then again, he has created a lot of fantastic songs, so it just had to happen.
Silent Hill: Origins - The Wicked End, Murder Song "S" etc. : The game itself has some great songs, but the soundtrack is very dissapointed and i find it very annoying that some songs have been blended in with others...
Silent Hill: Homecoming - The Real Love, Alex Theme, Who knows etc.: I think Homecoming has some fantastic songs (One more soul to the call, Witchcraft, Cold Blood, The Terminal Show and Elle Theme) but also some pretty forgettable ones as well. Some of them just don't fit, especially those songs that have unfiltered congas...
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Childish Thoughts, Forsaken Lullaby etc: This is probably my least favorite soundtrack so far since it's so different from the others. It doesn't have the same ambient, droning sounds like the ones in SH2.

By the way, i love "You're not here" but i can understand that people prefer the instrumental which should have been available on the soundtrack, just so you have a choice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RevelationofthePast
http://silenthillfandom.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill:_Blackout