TOM WALTZ talks to ComicMonsters about SILENT HILL:PAST LIFE

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

TomWaltz
Just Passing Through

TOM WALTZ talks to ComicMonsters about SILENT HILL:PAST LIFE

Post by TomWaltz »

Guys,

New interview about SILENT HILL: PAST LIFE up today by the great folks at ComicMonsters.com.

Here's the link: http://www.comicmonsters.com/features-1 ... _Life.html

(If that link doesn't work, try this: http://www.comicmonsters.com/modules.ph ... e&sid=4877 ).

Thanks for your continuing support and interest!

Tom W.
Tom Waltz
Senior Staff Writer / Editor
IDW Publishing
http://www.idwpublishing.com
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Re: TOM WALTZ talks to ComicMonsters about SILENT HILL:PAST

Post by Burning Man »

Horror News Network: What types of monsters will we see?

Tom Waltz: As with all Silent Hill tales, we'll see monsters that represent the main character's psyche -- and Menton3 has some fantastic designs I can't wait for the world to see. One thing I do promise, though -- no Pyramid Head, no Sexy Nurses. All new monsters only.
This... is not something that the town of Silent Hill is able to do in that era of 1867. While there is some ambiguity in what sort of powers that the town had at the time, manifestation of one's psyche is specific to Silent Hill 1 onward. Silent Hill 2 and James' story can happen as it did because Silent Hill 1 had happened before it.

I do hope you have a valid explanation for this.

Another matter of concern is that the intro of Silent Hill: Past Life's story sounds too much like that of Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward except that it takes place in 1867. I... unfortunately didn't enjoy Sinner's Reward's story as much as I wanted to, so I probably won't enjoy another story just like it.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

YES! Thank you :D
TomWaltz
Just Passing Through

Post by TomWaltz »

Burning Man wrote:
Horror News Network: What types of monsters will we see?

Tom Waltz: As with all Silent Hill tales, we'll see monsters that represent the main character's psyche -- and Menton3 has some fantastic designs I can't wait for the world to see. One thing I do promise, though -- no Pyramid Head, no Sexy Nurses. All new monsters only.
This... is not something that the town of Silent Hill is able to do in that era of 1867. While there is some ambiguity in what sort of powers that the town had at the time, manifestation of one's psyche is specific to Silent Hill 1 onward. Silent Hill 2 and James' story can happen as it did because Silent Hill 1 had happened before it.

I do hope you have a valid explanation for this.

Another matter of concern is that the intro of Silent Hill: Past Life's story sounds too much like that of Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward except that it takes place in 1867. I... unfortunately didn't enjoy Sinner's Reward's story as much as I wanted to, so I probably won't enjoy another story just like it.
No worries, Burning Man -- though there are dmittedly some similarities between the main characters of PAST LIFE (Jebediah Foster) and Jack Stanton of SINNER'S REWARD (which I'm sorry to know you didn't enjoy, but do sincerely appreciate you giving it a chance), the stories are very different. PAST LIFE is very much its own beast.

And, in the interview I do mention that the town "is on the cusp" of its changeover, so I'm confident you'll find the psychological elements we will be exploring in PAST LIFE are apropos to the situation and the era.

Thanks so much for your interest!

Tom Waltz
Tom Waltz
Senior Staff Writer / Editor
IDW Publishing
http://www.idwpublishing.com
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That doesn't really explain how the monsters can be manifestations of the character's psyche when at that time in Silent Hill's history it was impossible.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

^ Quoted from AuraTwilight's post,
AuraTwilight wrote:Not necessarily. Either we could be seeing the town's natural power, or Alessa's warping of the town's power permeated in both directions in time (The Otherworld can transcend time, officially).