Halo of the Sun in Sinner's Reward

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

JehanSunderland
Just Passing Through

Halo of the Sun in Sinner's Reward

Post by JehanSunderland »

What do you guys make of the multiple appearances of the Halo of the Sun in the Sinner's Reward comic? I've been unable to find any sort of official statement by IDW or the author as to the reasons for its appearance.
It feels almost like fanservice due to the lack of any involvement by the Order in the story, but the rest of the series just feels to intricate for it to be such an easy explanation. This has been bothering me lately, because it appears about five times, most notably on the wall next to Brookhaven and on the ground in front of the post where Sarah is being pseudo-crucified.

I'm kind of thinking that perhaps there is cult involvement in Jack and Jill's deaths, but that Jack, and thus the reader, never really has knowledge of it. Perhaps their deaths are part of some sort of alternate ritual to ressurect the god, much like the 21 Sacraments.
So, what do you guys think?
stamb
Just Passing Through

Re: Halo of the Sun in Sinner's Reward

Post by stamb »

I think that it's an interesting point of view, and you might be close to the right answer :)
emFox
Just Passing Through

Post by emFox »

The Halo of the Sun, in the mythology of the Order, represents the cycle of birth, death and rebirth -- in other words, it symbolizes reincarnation, which makes them very apt save points in Silent Hill 3 and with Heather. So I think the inclusion of the symbol in "Sinner's Reward" is meant, for SH fans, as a method of inter-continuity: it emphasizes the fact that Jack continually goes back to his addiction of violence and murder. So he repeats himself, going in circles.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

It *could* be fanservice, as Pyramid Head was thrown in there for the same reason - and later Tom Waltz noted that he regretted including him as at the time he didn't realise that PH was more subjective to James in SH2 than anything.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Ulrike Meinhof
Just Passing Through

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

I would imagine that the actual artist in question would have a good idea as to why he placed them there and so...

I'd perhaps look at the first reply to your question a little more carefully... :wink:
stamb
Just Passing Through

Post by stamb »

Thanks Ulrike ;)
So the official version : it's a bit of everything mentioned above :)