Silent Hill TV Series Starring Charlize Theron???

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Silent Hill TV Series Starring Charlize Theron???

Post by Droo »

Another day, another SH rumour. This one saying Netflix is trying to develop a show based on the franchise with Charlize Theron in the lead?

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/charliz ... hill-show/

I have no idea what to make of this one.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Re: Silent Hill TV Series Starring Charlize Theron???

Post by NanayaShiki »

Definitely sounds like clickbait to me, that website is notorious for it. Probably someone just saying this because of all the Resident Evil netflix stuff happening. Though the idea of a Silent Hill tv series is an intriguing one to think about, what would that even look like? Would have to have a larger cast than SH stuff typically does, I feel. Or maybe be an anthology mini-series. Each episode telling a small tale set within the town.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

I've been saying that there's little doubt that Konami will likely be trying to get Silent Hill licensed as a TV series.

We have the Gans movie announcement. Also we have the announcement of Oscar Isaac as Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid movie.

Since horror tends to do very well on streaming services, someone out there would want a brand for a TV series, and Silent Hill fits that bill very well. Since Netflix is already licensing game properties for animation and has done Konami's Castlevania, it seems they're most likely in the best place for negotiating a series with Konami.

WGTC is not the best source, but let's consider the implications of what they say.

For one thing casting a 45 year old actress Charlize Theron - it feels like rather than adapting the game, they are looking to adapt the Gans' movie and this seems like Theron is going to be Rose. Given her age, it's unlikely it's Heather.

That sucks, but it does lend some legitimacy to the rumour, taking it from being fan wishes to the Netflix exec drunken stupidity category where if something sounds bad it's likely true.

But, you never know, Theron could be another character entirely, or even Cybil Bennet, which would ideally be better, but the rumor says she's the 'lead female role.' So unless there is also a lead male role, it's unlikely we're getting Harry.

Though, if Netflix was smart, they could probably use two protagonists working separately, and we follow both Harry Mason and Cybil Bennet from each one's point of view. So you have two leads, you can cover more story by having them work separately - Harry pursuing his daughter and encountering Dahlia and Lisa. Meanwhile Cybil pursues Kaufmann. Maybe some other original characters too. Then Cybil and Harry meet up for the finale.

They could each also explore different parts of the town too, and you can keep things interesting by switching between the protagonists.

This is what I'd do, so let's hope Netflix is smart.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I don't trust WGTC but the source of this apparently is legit even if they aren't themselves.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

jdnation wrote: Though, if Netflix was smart, they could probably use two protagonists working separately, and we follow both Harry Mason and Cybil Bennet from each one's point of view. So you have two leads, you can cover more story by having them work separately - Harry pursuing his daughter and encountering Dahlia and Lisa. Meanwhile Cybil pursues Kaufmann. Maybe some other original characters too. Then Cybil and Harry meet up for the finale.
I would love this so much.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Oh man. I don't know whether I want this to be true or not. It seems more likely to me they would totally do their own thing with new characters rather than adapt any of the games into a TV show. And it could really suck.
Then again, who knows, maybe we could get lucky and get something amazing.

Ultimately, though, SH rumors basically mean nothing to me until there's an official announcement. So no emotion or excitement from me.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Well if it helps, a Silent Hill TV series is a more likely shot than a proper new videogame, given the streaming services wars and everyone is doing their best to secure brand name content. So in my mind it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when.' Though I suspect that while inking a deal is inevitable, we won't see it for a couple of years at best.