The OST song titles

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

The OST song titles

Post by KingCrimson »

There have been some posts in the past about the odd title choices for Silent Hill OSTs, and many of the comments seem to indicate Yamaoka doesn't have a very good translator. Which is strange to me, since the games themselves aren't full of butchered English when the characters speak. I wonder if the odd titles are left that way intentionally? I think it adds a certain charm. I particularly like the word "prisionic" from "Prisionic Fairytale." I don't know if he was going for "psionic" or "prismatic" or something to do with prison, but it's a fitting word for that track. That said, Konami is a big enough company that they could get their star composer a decent translator if they wanted. I've never seen any information from Yamaoka about the titles themselves, have any of you?
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Re: The OST song titles

Post by VIVIsect »

I wonder if Yamaoka is actually responsible for any of the track titles... Typically, if you're writing a score for a collaborative project (such as a video game, or film, or whatever), you'll title the tracks so that they are easily identifiable and relevant to where they are intended to appear. You'll use generic titles such as "Opening Credits", "Cutscene #1", "End Credits", etc. This helps to avoid a lot of confusion (for the other people involved). I imagine the tracks probably retained the generic names until they were ready for final CD mastering and to be released as an OST. Yamaoka could have gone back named them at some point, or it could have been done by some random Joe Blow Konami employee. Who knows.

But, yeah. I've never been a fan of the titles. Most are just silly.
nobody is anybody
Badass Cyborg
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Badass Cyborg »

KingCrimson wrote:I particularly like the word "prisionic" from "Prisionic Fairytale." I don't know if he was going for "psionic" or "prismatic" or something to do with prison, but it's a fitting word for that track.
I don't mean to come across as a nitpicker, but the title is actually 'Prisonic Fairytale'. I've always assumed that it has some prison connotations because of this, but who can really say?

Many of Yamaoka's titles are puzzling and some are just plain nonsensical. I'd like to think that there is some kind of meaning behind them, but unless we hear it from the man himself, I doubt we'll ever find out.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Post by SHF »

I still can't figure out what ORT stand for.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Oral Rehydration Therapy
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

I particularly liked the title "Day of Night".