Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Nov 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: The Darkness of Intrigue... What's that sound?

Missing since: 23 Feb 2010
Notes left: 3
Hello guys. This is my first post to the forum :)

I have been a SH fan for around ten years and love the haunting beauty of the games. I am especially fascinated with the work of Akira Yamaoka and even decided to do my dissertation on the compositional elements and sound design of the survival horror genre, much of which was based on Silent Hill. I did a considerable amount of research and discovered so much about the composition of SH soundscapes.

As a composer I have drawn a lot of influence from Yamaoka and find his instrumentation choices mystifying. I managed to identify most of them, but there is one that has truly escaped me. I cannot find it anywhere! I'm talking about the synth pad used in the track "Opened Way". It's one of the signature sounds used in SH and I was just wondering if there are any composers on here who might be able to help me out. I'd be very grateful!

Peace

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: The Darkness of Intrigue... What's that sound?

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3832
Most of Yamaoka's music dissected:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16347&start=0

Edit:

Also, welcome to the forum!

Just Passing Through

Thank you VIVIsect. Is a really awesome site :)

Ah yes, I actually have this sample collection and have been meticulously through it, but haven't been able to find the sound in question. It's so elusive! Haha. Thought it might actually help if I posted the song as reference. The melody begins at 0:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T-2wmxT6ns

Do you have any idea what it might be? I imagine it's a patch from Logic or Reason or something like that?

Just Passing Through

Oh and I've just realised the actual track title is "Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me" from Silent Hill 3. I've been using the film reference this whole time. My bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeldZLmj1_E

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3832
Over the years, I've run across several that sound pretty similar, but I haven't found that one particular sample. Sorry.

It's not from any of the usual sample libraries used by Yamaoka (unless I've miss it)... I'm thinking that it's probably a one-off sample taken from a random sample library. Yamaoka doesn't use Reason, and I haven't noticed it in any of the factory Logic sounds, so you can probably rule those out. It could be a patch from an actual hardware synth/keyboard, but I doubt it.

If it is from a sample library, we'll probably eventually run across it. :)