I'm in need of opinions...

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Are the Silent Hill comics worth the read?

Yes, definitely!
57%
No, not really...
14%
Meh. They're alright.
29%

Total votes: 7

DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

I'm in need of opinions...

Post by DMChristensen »

I've found a site to download all of the Silent Hill comics up to Past Life. I've always been meaning to try reading them (as I am a comic lover), but I've never gotten around to it. I would go out and try to buy the books, but I don't have any money or time right now.

What I would like to know from anyone who has read them...are they any good? Worth reading? I've heard Silent Hill: Past Life supposedly has a tie-in with the upcoming PS3/360 title Silent Hill: Downpour by having a character from the game make an appearance in the comic, or vice-versa.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Re: I'm in need of opinions...

Post by simeonalo »

Silent Hill: Past Life is a MUST read. I'd consider it "required" for any fan--on par with the main games. That comic actually creates a lot of tense atmosphere, and it's best to read them all in one sit-down. It also provides a lot of insight on the the canon SH universe...especially about early stems of the Order.

The others, not so much.
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

DMChristensen wrote:I've found a site to download all of the Silent Hill comics up to Past Life. I've always been meaning to try reading them (as I am a comic lover), but I've never gotten around to it. I would go out and try to buy the books, but I don't have any money or time right now.

What I would like to know from anyone who has read them...are they any good? Worth reading? I've heard Silent Hill: Past Life supposedly has a tie-in with the upcoming PS3/360 title Silent Hill: Downpour by having a character from the game make an appearance in the comic, or vice-versa.
Please tell me this site isn't handing them out for free - piracy's wrong.

That said, Past Life is definitely worth whatever you can get it for. Like Simeonalo said, it should be required reading. And if you like Past Life, Sinner's Reward might be a good read for you too. I've never read any of the others, but from what I've read about them on this site, you aren't missing much if you don't read them.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

If you're going to buy Downpour, then you should probably read Past Life if you can. Apparently the two have some sort of connection.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
DMChristensen
Just Passing Through

Post by DMChristensen »

Shadow wrote:Please tell me this site isn't handing them out for free - piracy's wrong.
Unfortunately yes. I feel bad pirating them, but I will definitely make sure I buy them when I can afford it. I find it much more satisfying to own copies of books physically rather than on the computer anyhow.

I just read all of Past Life. I liked it a lot. It was well written and had an intriguing plot (some of which I do not fully understand...but that's good because I can just analyze it more. :D). I also loved the art of the book and designs; namely Awinita. The creature's design was amazing in my opinion.

Howard Blackwood is definitely involved in Downpour somehow. I get the feeling he's the same character in both stories.

And yes. I am buying Downpour. It's my #1 wanted video game of the year. :D
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

If you're going to pirate things you should try to exclude that from your topic.
There's always the option of going to a bookstore and reading it there. I mean, they have chairs, usually.

I've always heard sinner's reward is the best of the bunch. Anything else is going to strongly depend on taste, it seems.