Akira Yamaoka Piano VST

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Alekossowski
Just Passing Through

Akira Yamaoka Piano VST

Post by Alekossowski »

Do you think that Akira used VST pianos to make the OSTs? I really dont think that he actually used real pianos. But... the piano of "True" is amazing, for example. And that soundtrack was released, i think, in 2001. I believe there were crappy VST at that time... Anybody knows the VSTs that Akira used for his OST?
Alekossowski
Just Passing Through

Re: Akira Yamaoka Piano VST

Post by Alekossowski »

Not even a clue?
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

More than likely used VSTs. No tell which ones though.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

Was listening to a few Akira tracks on Pandora today. This question popped into my mind as well.
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

I highly doubt he used any VST for Silent Hill 1. VST technology was still very new at the time (2 years).

For Silent Hill 2 there are only a handful of tracks where there's even any possibility of him having used any VST, because most of the tracks in SH2 are sequenced (played back with actual notes and samples) in-game. The movies (in pre-rendered 3D) are pretty much the only place he could've used any VSTs, because those tracks are not sequenced (but rather streamed, similar to how MP3/WAV/etc is).

I don't know about SH3 and later though. But pretty sure I saw some VST in the Making of SH4 video.
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Yamaoka never used an actual acoustic piano on any of the SH recordings. He has always used either hardware samplers or software.

During the time Silent Hill 2 came out, there were plenty of VSTs around. SampleTank was released in 2001 and was really popular at the time. There's a SampleTank piano preset called "1920s Upright Piano" that, with a little tweaking, sounds nearly identical to the piano used in "True".

Nisto, I don't know exactly what goes into programing sound for playback in video games, but I assume that the original music tracks would have been composed/recorded/mixed in a DAW (such as Logic, for example). The MIDI information and individual samples would then be exported and the game engine would use that to recreate the composition (in instances where it's not just streaming audio). Either way, the sounds have to originate from somewhere. He could have used VST instruments.
nobody is anybody
Nisto
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nisto »

Well yeah, I know there are some ways to get samples from VSTs even if there is no direct way of exporting them via the interface, but I assume he meant VSTs he used directly. Anyway, there are also some peeks of his workspace in Making of SH2, maybe you'll spot something there.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

'Your Ruin' was playing on Pandora this morning from SH4. First time I have listened to the entire song.