Excerpts from Silent Hill 3 Novel

Use this section to discuss the DVDs, OSTs, comics and any other SH Media.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Excerpts from Silent Hill 3 Novel

Post by Burning Man »

Konami Novels Silent Hill 3, Written by Sadamu Yamashita, Illustrated by Masahiro Ito.
Pages 199-204.
She's headstrong just like he was.

Douglas was lost in thought as he saw Heather off.

His son, Daniel, was just like that when he was little. Courageous and never wanted to lose. His doting parents thought he would grow up to be a very important person..., but I was so focused on work that I didn't look after my family. I forgot my responsibility as a parent and he turned out no good...

This was memory accompanied by pain.

It felt like torture. The pain in my chest.

It came as a bolt from the blue with his boss at the police station, where he was working at the time. Chief Chris Palmer spoke with a strange expression. He usually did not show any emotion and people had started bad-mouthing him that the fellow never laughed or cried since birth. He now had a look that he was trying to show sorrow but failing miserably; instead showing an uncomfortable shit-eating grin.

"I don't mean to hold you responsible, Douglas, but we've got a problem. Your son was shot and killed by a police officer from the station."

He couldn't remember what happened afterwards before he had resigned. The shock left him in a somnambulistic state. Only the sharp stares of the station personnel had been burned into his faded memory.

Douglas locked himself at his residence to continue his life drunk. He didn't have the skills to be employed again with his work experience as a former detective nor did he have the strength to do so. Even after whatever little savings they had in the bank account had been spent on whiskey and gin, he continued pouring liquor into his stomach in financial debt. His wife Catherine had given up on him long ago and had left him since. It wasn't because of the drinking, but they had gotten into an aggressive argument on who was to blame for what happened to Daniel. In his drunken and hazy state, he had yelled at the divorce mediation lawyer, "Do what you want" and didn't bother attending the trial.

Every day, from morning till night, he would think about his dead son.

Why did Daniel have to steal?

Was he rebelling against me?

Was it because I hadn't done anything for him as a father?

I was only... doing my job as a cop and as a keeper of justice to secure the town and protect my wife and child ... Why couldn't they understand that!

It was fortunate that the debts had been settled before he had fallen into alcoholism. With a sober head, he could see reality even with an empty stomach. Douglas had finally gotten over it after days of long despair had passed. He received help from his friend, a former colleague, to temporarily work as a security guard. Once he had saved enough, he opened a detective agency in his apartment residence. His original motive when he took the job as a cop--- It was because his sense of justice that he had before had resurfaced.

If he could even be of a little help to society.

If he could help the people who wanted to feel safe and well.

With those thoughts, he worked hard as a private detective even if it didn't pay well... Soon his pain had subsided and what happened to his dead son had been buried in his memory.

Then... the past was revived like a zombie.

The thing looked on with blaming eyes.

The stabbing look that Daniel gave him when he came home, where Douglas was never there.

It seemed like the appearance of the monster that Claudia had sent had been projected by Douglas' dormant fear in his heart.

"Daniel? Daniel, is that you?"

Douglas asked in a daze. He pointed the gun at him but was frozen in place and couldn't pull the trigger at that moment.

The monster only stared at him without saying a word.

"I understand, Daniel. You did nothing wrong," Douglas continued rambling.

"Robbing a store, you really didn't mean it, did you... Your bad buddies pushed you to do it. It was some harmless fun that had gone too far."

Those hateful eyes were piercing into Douglas.

He was crying before he knew it.

"...I understand. I really do. You are not to blame. It's my fault."

His bearded face became disheveled.

"I should have scolded you. As a father, I should have rooted out the weeds of delinquency. Even with those rebellious eyes, deep down you wanted me to do so... I... neglected to take care of you, so I was cautious about scolding you... A cop shouldn't be so, but why was I such a scared father? I... Forgive me..."

Douglas fired against the monster who charged attacking with its dual blades.

This is a substitute for what I couldn't do long ago.

It's about time I gave you a father's beating: to my delinquent son, to my loving son.

Once the bind loosened, his finger continued pulling the trigger.

This, too, is now a thing of the past---. Douglas crouched on the stairs to the teacup platform and gazed at the misty night. The darkness reflected in his pupils as he laughed bitterly. He thought the pain from his broken leg, received from the monster, felt like his son's last will.
Last edited by Burning Man on 19 Jun 2023, edited 1 time in total.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Re: Excerpt from Silent Hill 3 Novel: Douglas

Post by Vixx »

There is no like button, so... Vikki likes this. 🥰
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Re: Excerpts from Silent Hill 3 Novel

Post by Burning Man »

Tonight, he intended to confide in Heather.

The illness he suffered from, the secret of her birth, and the incident with "them" that he kept quite about until now because he did not want to scare her...
He needed to discuss her future with her, about things like legal procedures to her inheriting his assets and savings.

Slowly over dinner, perhaps.

For this occasion, tonight, he prepared a magnificent meal. The broiled duck meat was also ready in the oven. Having said that, Harry's cooking skill was burning french toast to a marvelous charred crisp, so the magnificent meal was really delivery from an Italian restaurant.

The aroma of the delicious just-broiled duck had filled the air of the apartment room.

He couldn't wait to see his daughter's face stuffing her cheeks.

Harry smiled in anticipation.

Then, the smile melted away into a grimace.

An offensive smell had invaded his sinus. He remembered having smelled it long ago. It smelled similar to the stench of a rotting corpse. Behind him, the sound of someone who had sneaked into the room, could be heard treading on the floor.

Harry tensed and prepared himself. His adrenaline was rushing. He thought this would never happen again, but to have a reunion at a time and place like this. There couldn't have come at a worse time.

"Really, is Heather..."

It seemed his worst fears had come true. That town... Silent Hill... he had thought it would be fine as long as they didn't go near that place, but...

"Won't you give me some time?"

As Harry was seated on his chair, he spoke without turning to look and glance at the opponent he did not wish to see.

"I still have much to tell my daughter. At least give me time for this one night, tonight. After that you do whatever you want with my life, if you want to boil it or grill it."

"That's not going to happen."

An unexpected voice came back.

It was a woman's voice. Certainly the voice sounded much younger than that nasty woman called Dahlia from long ago, but it was echoing a resembling chilliness.

"You took something very important from us. You stole and ran away with what would be a new era, a marvelous new world. Your sin deserves certain death. No postponement will be allowed."

"Of course you crawled out from the same hole, didn't you?"

Harry smiled bitterly and felt for his gun under his jacket and took it out. It's something he always carried with him to prepare for situations like this.

He turned around and fired.

Instead of aiming at the monster he caught in the corner of his eye, his aim was toward the woman.

If he killed the woman who was controlling the monster, the monster who was manifested through the woman's disgrace would surely disappear as well.

But, even before Harry could pull the trigger, the monster quickly shielded the woman, wielding its metal weapon to block the bullet.

"Damn."

Harry got up from his chair and genuinely started shooting at the monster.

It was no use.

Gunshots were useless against this opponent.

But, he could not give up. It must have some kind of weakness. If he could find out...

Without taking his sight off of the monster's movements, Harry swiftly inserted a clip into his empty gun. In the mere instant that he looked at his gun, the monster found an opening to attack as the metal blades came flying. If he hadn't dodged in time, he would have been cut in half in one stroke. His left arm was wounded, but fortunate enough to have only dropped the gun.

"Why don't you stop. You're only tiring yourself."

"Heather is in our hands."

"You mean you took her hostage?"

Harry sneered back.

"But her safety as a hostage is guaranteed. As a holy mother, her existence is needed by your kind. You can't do anything to hurt her, can you?

"That's not true."

"What did you say...?"

"It's true that she's needed. So long as she performs her responsibility as a holy mother obediently. But, if she refuses to do so..."

"Stop!"

One man's fearless fighting expression had completely changed in Harry as he pleaded with a face of a father.

"Don't torture her any longer. No more... I beg of you."

The woman said with a despising look, "In that case, die. Right here. There is no place for you in the new world that will save all people."

"Same to you."

Harry had a shin belt within his trouser innards, where he quickly drew a knife from and as he rose up...

"Don't you care what happens to Heather?!"

With the woman's roar, Harry's knife-raising hand stopped with surprise.

What flew in instead was an atrocious blade tens-of-times larger that pierced his chest.

Harry called out his daughter's name as he slumped into the chair grasping at his chest as fresh blood dripped from it.

As his sight went dim, his wife's face appeared before his eyes.

Jodie... I'll be by your side soon.

Let's watch over our daughter together.