SH5 EGM SCANS new pics and info plus Alex's face!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

JOHNNYBEGOOD
Just Passing Through

Post by JOHNNYBEGOOD »

I just wanna say 'haha' to all the people who said this was gonna suck...
[size=167]ಠ_ಠ[/size]
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Well Team Silent did say they'd develop for the most powerful console. And they were favoring PS3 saying that they might reconsider any exclusive idea because the install base for PS3 wasn't big enough. The reasons they favoured PS3 was:
1) For blu-ray - I believe a lot of those shots are both in-game and pre-rendered cutscenes. You can pull off some very nice looking CG effects only with pre-rendered scenes. They'll try and match both the pre-rendered and the in-game cutscenes but like in SH2 and even now in 0rigins I'd expect to see both pre-rendered HD cutscenes as well as an amazing graphics engine internally built.
2) The other was that they mentioned liking the PS3 CELL processor but didn't elaborate as to why. Saying that it was difficult to use but that when they did figure it out they got some impressive results.
All these things suggest they started on PS3 hardware, and the movie references may be tied into Sony Pictures wanting to promote the film some more and Konami wanting to ride some of the film's popularity with newcomers. In any case it's easier to port a PS3 game to 360 (providing it doesn't make complicated use of tech exclusive to PS3) than it is to take 360 developed games and port them to PS3. More developers may take this method in the future by doing PS3 first or developing both simultaneously with a divided team of programmers.
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

Why would they make pre-rendered cutscenes for the Xbox 360 and PS3? If those are ingame screenshots we are seeing on the magazine scans, there's absolutely no reason to waste time and effort making a pre-rendered cutscene when it can be simply done in-game and still look great.

I was kinda glad SH3 got rid of those pre-rendered cutscenes. One minute, you're looking at a highly detailed and beautiful Angela or Maria, and then it switches to in-game footage and you go, "Huh, they look like shit now."
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

I agree with swedish.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

swedish wrote:Why would they make pre-rendered cutscenes for the Xbox 360 and PS3? If those are ingame screenshots we are seeing on the magazine scans, there's absolutely no reason to waste time and effort making a pre-rendered cutscene when it can be simply done in-game and still look great.

I was kinda glad SH3 got rid of those pre-rendered cutscenes. One minute, you're looking at a highly detailed and beautiful Angela or Maria, and then it switches to in-game footage and you go, "Huh, they look like shit now."
Depends on what they're aiming to achieve. For example many things simply aren't possible on current hardware that pre-rendered cutscenes can pull off mostly particle stuff as well as model complexities and playing around with cinematic angles. Also there might be a scene involving lots of models and things going on on screen that the engine cannot pull off. It all depends on how well their engine is built too. It's possible to make good transitions and stuff between in-game and cutscene quality stuff without too big a difference by simply using the in-game models but with more bones to make them more lifelike for the cutscene. I too prefer in-game like SH3 was. Using in-game cinematics you can keep the changes you've physically made to the environment or your character in there. We'll have to wait and see what they're up to.
RedPyramidThing
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPyramidThing »

I have to agree with swedish... especially if the game is released with real-time wounds and destructable enviornments. In-game cut scenes help to keep a level of consistancy with a game, especially today, when in-game graphics are becoming better and better. A prerendered cut scene would take you out of the game too much, especially if your character goes from being battered, bloody and holding a shotgun, surrounded by dead creatures, to being handsome, healthy and empty-handed in the blink of an eye for a cut scene.
Some fear death. Others pray for it.
StinkBomber
Gravedigger

Post by StinkBomber »

I'd like to see more cinematics that don't break up the gameplay - that let you see it from the protagonists own perspective over an omnipotent one.

One example is how first-person games like Bioshock tell their stories, but spose you could take that literally and have the game shift into a first-person perspective for a cinematic, and have you able to look around, interact based on context actions during them.
www.stinkbomber.deviantart.com
BloodyThesis
Just Passing Through

Post by BloodyThesis »

Neat! I'd totally forgotten about this game. Now I'm all cautiously excited, an' junk.

Now I know it's far too early to be making judgements like this, especially with the sparce info/media we've seen, but I already dislike Joshua. I mean, haven't we done the "vaguely creepy, conduit to the mysterious child" thing with Cheryl, Laura, lil' Walter and Andy? Enough already. Honestly, Konami.

So, so, soooo sick of the nurses, too. At least SH4 tried something different with its Patient enemies; and they would've worked, if it hadn't been for that horribly hilarious choice of "burping" noise. I swear, whomever was responsible for that should be fired, scalped, raped, then hanged. And not necessarily in that order. Anyway: I hate the nurses. Worked for SH1/SH2, but they're oldhat now. With 0rigins and V, that'll make SIX games they've been in. Should be retired, imo.

Though if they simply MUST rehash an old monster, let it be the Doctor enemy. We haven't seen him since the original! He was like the nurses, 'cept mo' badass, y'know, on account of the penis.

What else? Hm, I like Alex's design - it's a nice change from the softer looking, foppish Henry. Reminds one of the sharper, toned Harry. I like that. He looks older than 22, too, I think. The color scheme for this entry, from what we've been shown, seems to be red. I'm not sure if I like that; I had my fill of red going through reverse Brookhaven in SH3, and countless areas in SH4.

Also, why do they have to describe Elle as a mix of Maria and Heather? Is it so very hard for them to create a new personality for the female lead? :?
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

I'm pretty sure a Maria/Heather character mix was done by the name of Eileen. Funny how their names sound and look alike.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
sidrawings
Just Passing Through

Post by sidrawings »

I like that they're using the nurse from the movie, they look so awesome. And it makes since because I think they look like old military nurses!

Even though they said that there would no connection to any of the other games, I still hope they'll be a nod to silent hill 2. I mean come on; I find it hard to believe that they Named the lead character with a surname that's the same of Mary's Maiden name by accident :!:
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I already dislike Joshua. I mean, haven't we done the "vaguely creepy, conduit to the mysterious child" thing with Cheryl, Laura, lil' Walter and Andy? Enough already. Honestly, Konami.
It's called a Theme.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DarKerry
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DarKerry »

BloodyThesis wrote: Now I know it's far too early to be making judgements like this, especially with the sparce info/media we've seen, but I already dislike Joshua. I mean, haven't we done the "vaguely creepy, conduit to the mysterious child" thing with Cheryl, Laura, lil' Walter and Andy? Enough already. Honestly, Konami.
Wally, not lil' Walter. ^^() Anyway, yeah, they do do the creepy kid thing, but it's like a cycle. It all started with a little kid who was hurt in a horrible way.
So, so, soooo sick of the nurses, too. At least SH4 tried something different with its Patient enemies; and they would've worked, if it hadn't been for that horribly hilarious choice of "burping" noise. I swear, whomever was responsible for that should be fired, scalped, raped, then hanged. And not necessarily in that order. Anyway: I hate the nurses. Worked for SH1/SH2, but they're oldhat now. With 0rigins and V, that'll make SIX games they've been in. Should be retired, imo.

Though if they simply MUST rehash an old monster, let it be the Doctor enemy. We haven't seen him since the original! He was like the nurses, 'cept mo' badass, y'know, on account of the penis.
...I'm tempted to be offended... Ok, so I'd have to give this Doctor monster a fair shot before saying anything but still...

The Nurses could be pulled off with a new and interested twist, it's just some of the twists haven't worked. I guess we'll see with the motion/sound factor, but I don't know... I'd like to see something new as well, only done with them, not against them.
What else? Hm, I like Alex's design - it's a nice change from the softer looking, foppish Henry. Reminds one of the sharper, toned Harry. I like that. He looks older than 22, too, I think. The color scheme for this entry, from what we've been shown, seems to be red. I'm not sure if I like that; I had my fill of red going through reverse Brookhaven in SH3, and countless areas in SH4.
I'm sure the red will be a bit different when the game's DONE. Probably be more texture to everything too.
Also, why do they have to describe Elle as a mix of Maria and Heather? Is it so very hard for them to create a new personality for the female lead? :?
Haven't you ever seen a horror movie? Everyone fits into specific rolls with specific personalities. :rolleyes: It's made by americans. Apparently, many people liked these two characters and so they're gonna mesh 'em together for the "old" fans, bringing back the girls' personalities to introduce to the "new" fans who saw the movie.
Animals are at their most fearsome when they are cornered and afraid...
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

swedish wrote:I was kinda glad SH3 got rid of those pre-rendered cutscenes. One minute, you're looking at a highly detailed and beautiful Angela or Maria, and then it switches to in-game footage and you go, "Huh, they look like shit now."
haha... it was even worse for SH1. i mean, the graphics are awesome considering its time, but it's still kind of amusing. especially when you notice the non-rendered cutscenes try to avoid showing the speaking characters' faces too well because their mouths don't move.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
hollywood-01

Post by hollywood-01 »

the game sounds like its going to be great.
Austinreihl
Just Passing Through

Post by Austinreihl »

hollywood-01 wrote:the game sounds like its going to be great.
Simple, yet effective.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts in that sentence right there, everybody else mentioned what I was thinking.

SHV... :D
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

Silent Hill 5 doesn't have so heavily fancy graphics compared to games like Mass Effects, Killzone 2, Crysis, Rage etc. Next gen, especially on PS3 isn't fully up to it's power yet. The ps3 uses around 20% of it's capacity.

I don't think these scans are soooo good. They are ok, but not more then that.
If you don't agree, look at HD trailers for the games I mentioned.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

eh, i looked at Rage and Killzone 2. you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. killzone is a fps and rage, from the little i watched, appeared to be some kind of a racing game mixed with fpv as well.. both games vastly different than SHV.

when you take into account the type of game it is, graphics sometimes aren't too much of a factor. art direction and style goes a long way. take Bioshock (great game) and Gears of War. Both are very different games. Bioshock is a fps and Gears of war, a third person action game. Gears of war IMO, clearly has the better graphics, however if you pose the question to folks who've played/own both, you'll get a different response in regard to which game looks better. i've had people choose Bioshock due to the style/look of the game, and then people will say Gears due to the amount/level of detail, the textures and atmosphere.

anyhow, haven't heard that about the ps3 (using 20% of it's power), but then again i dont really pay much attn to ps3. don't plan on getting one of those for about 2-3 more years.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

From what I'm seeing, all the screenshots... all look like just artwork to me.. a couple were screenshots.. but most of the screenshots were artwork.. but still it looks awesome.. and I'll be saving my money for when they finally do get this game finished.. it looks great.. The story seems a bit lacking.. i mean I like the whole idea of going to Silent hill looking for a lost brother or something.. kinda reminds me of Jacobs Ladder.. IN a way... not completely though but similar...
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

David01 wrote:From what I'm seeing, all the screenshots... all look like just artwork to me.. a couple were screenshots.. but most of the screenshots were artwork..
80% of the media shown were screenshots.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Ok thank you, I stand corrected. :wink:
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!