SH5 EGM SCANS new pics and info plus Alex's face!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Post by Numb Body01 »

I'm not expecting leaps and bounds but they will get better, it's blatant.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

In terms of next gen graphics in games of the same "kind of" genre.
Compare Silent Hill 3 with Resident Evil 4, Silent hill 3 wins.
Now, comparing the realtime footage of Resident Evil 5 and Silent Hill 5, clearly Resident Evil 5 wins. Silent Hill 5 should look just as good as RE5, but it doesn't.
The graphics engine the collective uses is I think a modified version of the same they use on Harker. So, I don't think the graphics will become any better.
The collective isn't especially known for games of quality, so they can sound good and everything, but everything points to people being very dissapointed with Silent Hill 5.

I know that for me, every feeling of hope and joy over the next installment was changed into anger when I realised The Collective was the new developer.
Even if the graphics gets better, the fact that they, exactly like Climax, used the Silent Hill movie art direction is just a sign of bad and unoriginal art direction.

This game will become a kind of "Silent Hill movie: The game" even with an original plot.
I'm really tired of hearing that the collective will pull it of, because I don't see a glimse of hope for the future of Silent Hill. It will become a franchise of bad games based upon the movie.
The previous Silent hill games were in fact original to itself the whole time. Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 and 4 didn't look the same as eachother and they tried to stay original all the time. Everything I've seen in Silent Hill 5 is copied from something else, mainly the movie.

And, don't say anything like: "If your gonna whine, do it somewhere else", because that is starting an elitism of "OMG, this is so freakn AWESOME!"

Really, look into your heart... am I the only one that really is sad about the future of Silent Hill? Am I the only one that feels like Silent Hill is dead?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

The nail isn't in the coffin until I play this and origins and am dissapointed. So far I'm feeling good about The Collective and SH5, but not great.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

This franchise is preety flexible. There are no plot restrictions that the next installment has to continue from certain point(like beloved example of all SH fans -RE). Each new game, wheter it gonna be SH6, Sh10 or SH14, could be a brand new uniqe story, seeded in these fantastic nightamrish climates that we all love. That's why you can't say this franchise is dead yet, dead is story of James and Mary dead is story of Alessa(*cough* almost) but if you look for instance at Silent Hill timeline, you will find material for at least 10 or more asskicking Silent Hill games. The fanbase is constantly growing and mainly thanks to the movie, the movie sequel will only make it even more bigger, not to mention SH5 which after release will boost sales of all previous games. Konami won't leave this 'new wave' of fans like that, thats why you can see so many movie inspirations in both games
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Glazarus wrote:In terms of next gen graphics in games of the same "kind of" genre.
Compare Silent Hill 3 with Resident Evil 4, Silent hill 3 wins.
Now, comparing the realtime footage of Resident Evil 5 and Silent Hill 5, clearly Resident Evil 5 wins. Silent Hill 5 should look just as good as RE5, but it doesn't.
The graphics engine the collective uses is I think a modified version of the same they use on Harker. So, I don't think the graphics will become any better.
The collective isn't especially known for games of quality, so they can sound good and everything, but everything points to people being very dissapointed with Silent Hill 5.

I know that for me, every feeling of hope and joy over the next installment was changed into anger when I realised The Collective was the new developer.
Even if the graphics gets better, the fact that they, exactly like Climax, used the Silent Hill movie art direction is just a sign of bad and unoriginal art direction.

This game will become a kind of "Silent Hill movie: The game" even with an original plot.
I'm really tired of hearing that the collective will pull it of, because I don't see a glimse of hope for the future of Silent Hill. It will become a franchise of bad games based upon the movie.
The previous Silent hill games were in fact original to itself the whole time. Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 and 4 didn't look the same as eachother and they tried to stay original all the time. Everything I've seen in Silent Hill 5 is copied from something else, mainly the movie.

And, don't say anything like: "If your gonna whine, do it somewhere else", because that is starting an elitism of "OMG, this is so freakn AWESOME!"

Really, look into your heart... am I the only one that really is sad about the future of Silent Hill? Am I the only one that feels like Silent Hill is dead?
I don't think people mind you giving your negative opinion of the game. i mean, that's what a message board is for. to get both views, bad and good. the fact is though, you're basing all of this on something that's unfinished. plus, it's not like the trailers were of the greatest quality. i think it's good to be skeptical and to criticize and want more (if only Madden fans were like this with the football game). however i think it's still a bit early to be as convinced as you, and maybe some others are. the collective still hasn't shown any combat vids, nor have they really shown much as far as environment/gameplay are concerned.

i'm still skeptical myself, but i still believe this'll turn out to be a great game.
SonOfSpardaDude
Just Passing Through

Post by SonOfSpardaDude »

I was wondering about this guy since he strangely reminds me of both Henry Townshend and Travis O'Grady put together.
[b][color=Red]The world was a sandbox for Man, made by God. But thou destruction of the world was not of God's, but of Man's desire to ever expand beyond over. And thus we cower within our guilt.[/color][/b]
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

Skele, if you read my posts a little closer, you will see that I'm criticizing the game based on many things, not just the trailers. I'm refering to The Collectives earlier games, the way they talk in the interview, the fact that they use alot of shit from the movie etc. There is plenty more to what I say then just an analyze of the trailers.

There are many things that people, mainly fans, look through when it comes to this. I see alot of defense mechanisms in people here, where they just don't listen to the things I say, because they can't accept the fact that this time, a Silent Hill game could turn out to be shit. I say "could" because I'm not stupid enough to think that I can look into the future. But when looking at ALL the things around this game, I'm noticing a "pattern" that is not very positive.

When The Collective sits there in the interview and talks about Silent Hill 2 and how they want to go back to that kind of game, how the fans like it and how they know what it's about, I'm closing my eyes and remember all the times I heared something similiar.
...like Gans and Avary talked about the Silent Hill movie, which indeed turned out to be more gore, more action and worse acting then Silent Hill 2.

I also remember seeing an early interview for "Alien vs Predator 2", where the filmmakers talk about how they will go back to the first Alien movie, the masterpeice. That they will utilize the "truckers in space" theme that it had.
The funny thing is that everyone that knows something about the first alien movie, knows about the "Truckers in space" theme. These guys said the same thing as everyone else. I feel that they said it to look smart in the interview. I have absolutely no hope in Alien vs Predator 2 being of the same quality as Riddley Scotts masterpeice, regardless of "how smart" the filmmakers like to paint themselves.

This is why I'm very fucking sceptical when I hear The Collective talk about Silent Hill. I need som hard solid proof and some cutscenes from the game to be able to see if they really know the core of Silent Hill 2 or if they are just fanboys, repeating words spoken by others about Silent Hill 2.
I hade very much faith in Christophe Gans when he did the Silent Hill movie and even if I like some parts of the movie, I think it's obvious that he didn't understand the true feeling and atmosphere of Silent Hill.

Silent Hill's pace is like the pace of Tarkovsky. It's slow, in a good way and it's the only games that dares to be that slow in storytelling. Look at the Maria Scenario in Silent Hill 2, there you have scenes were the silence between lines spoken can be almost 10 seconds. To have that pace is what creates the atmosphere.

That is another reason I don't trust western studios. We tend to make things that always must get to the fucking point instead of holding on to a feeling.
This is also based on my experience as a filmmaker, because all the producers I meet always want to "get to the point". It's a very destructive attitude and in western studios, I see too fucking much of the "get to the point" issue.
A Silent Hill game rests upon it's pace, that is one of it's core elements.
If someone don't agree with these, please tell me how the atmosphere is created...
I don't mean the atmosphere of walking down a dark corridor with some clunking sounds and just a flashlight in your palm. I'm talking about the atmosphere between the characters, how the cutscenes move.

Nobody would have cried at the end of Silent Hill 2 if it didn't have the slow pace.
Try to imagine that scene with Mary on the bed in which the actors told the lines without the peaceful pauses in between them.

The "get to the point" thing can be good in action games, where a slow pace is the worst thing that could happen. But as I said, Silent Hill is the Tarkofsky of games.
It's based upon the pace of the story and I don't think that The Collective understand this, based upon all the things I've written so far.

I can say something that is a thing spoken alot in the filmindustry.
A bad script can never be a good movie, even with a good director.
But a good script can also be a bad movie with a bad director.

If the script for Silent Hill 5 is the best of all games, it can be totally ruined by a director that doesn't understand the pace of the story. And with the nature of western directors, our type of horrorstories is actionpaced, compared to japanese which rely on emotions and characters.

There are very very much more to what I say then just what I've seen in the trailers.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Sunderpants
Just Passing Through

Post by Sunderpants »

Glazarus wrote:

Yes. Yes you are. Mabye. I don't know. :lol:

Hey, if you don't like where Silent Hill 5 is heading and want to bitch about it, then go ahead. It's your right as a human being. And, to your credit, you make some interesting statements. Just don't be so disappointed if many of us aren't agreeing with you. I'm very sorry, Glazarus, but from what little footage I've seen from the game so far I really don't have a problem with how the game looks. Sure, it's not Unreal Engine quality. But you know what? That's fine by me. I don't have a problem with them using visual effects from the Silent Hill movie, either. Hell, I'm GLAD they're using the movie's form of transistion from Planet Fogtown to Planet OHNOES. I really liked that! It's not "hiding behind fanshit", or whatever the hell it is you ranted about. It's an honest, legitimate opinion. If you can't accept that, then I don't know what to tell you.:?

Does that mean I have complete faith in The Collective. No, no completely. They've still got a long way to go before I can truly say that what they're doing is good. But I am liking what I see and hear so far. We'll see if that lasts. 8)
SUNDERPANTS:
Providing a comfortable fit for the self-loathing, guilt ridden man in your life.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/MinookaThrilla/DougLovesJD.jpg[/img]
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

Actually, I do not like the graphics because it isn't static. Static graphics makes a beatiful world with a quality of a rembrant painting. This has been the core visual art of Silent Hill. Just look at the "making of" movies of Silent Hill 2 and 3.
So, when they start doing dynamic enviroments, they are doing stuff that is meant for action games. But even if they do that, the graphics are far behind of what dynamic next gen graphics looks like.

The graphics may be alright in your eyes, but the main thing is that the art of the surroundings seem gone. That is deal with the graphics that I don't like.
They need to do major things with the dynamic engine to come close to the artistic quality of all the previous games. So, even if the technology of this engine gets better, the ART is not there. So I don't care about the noise filter, I care about the enviroments as a work of art.

The Collective doesn't sound like artists to me... teamsilent sounded like artists more then game developers. It's all there, in the "making of" movies from the previous games. You'll get the point when you compare the different studios attitude and interests.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

seeing the frequency of your posts where you basicly complain on the same stuff all over again I'm beginning to think if your major crusade is just for show, Glazarus. From one hand you claim the series is dead from other you are expecting kick ass. Give the Collective a chance as most of us did. There is no other choice now anyway, Team Silent is not coming back for this one
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

AAAAUGGGGHHHGGGHGHGHGHHHHH (rips out some hair)~

i can stand people complaining about the new silent hill execpt the graphics... please for the love that is all pie STOP SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THE GRAPHICS. THERE NOT DONE YET, THAT WAS JUST A LITTLE DEMO.. BLAH BLAH BLAH (rips out some more hair)

you people need to relax (twiches) and quit nit picking about EAVRY DAMN THING (twiches).
oO?
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Hello~ copy-righted nurse!

I'm seriously having a happy fit in the computer lab over this. yayayayayayayayayayayayayay
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Am I the only one that feels like Silent Hill is dead?
Then go away. Seriously.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

whiter4bbit wrote:
- radio and torch
- better AI with possibility to distract enemies with the use of light (enemies can break out doors too)
- improved combat system (several kinds of attack)
- visiting Shepherd's Glen and Silent Hill
- psychological plot, unrelated to the past events (like SH2)
- havoc physical engine
- much more epic boss fights
- puzzles
- multiple endings
- highly explorative and brainy gameplay, though linear plot
There is no way anyone can stop me from buying this game. My life is comeplete.
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

Glazarus wrote:Am I the only one that feels like Silent Hill is dead?
Then leave, instead of posting whiny, hasty assumptions about a game that is one year away from release.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
Glazarus

Post by Glazarus »

How about freedom of speech? This forum is also open for critisism and argumenting is not making me a whiner. It's actually the other way around, when you complain about my arguments without countering what I said, you are making yourself the whiner you accuse me of being. As a fan of Silent Hill, I'm as entitled to be here as everyone else, even if my opinions is out of a negative reaction to how the game looks and how the collective talks about it.
I want to have hope, but the collective interviews is making me sick.
Not being able to see the negative even if you love something is just a sign of blind sheeps. I want to believe that it is our "duty" to criticize something to make it better...

Best example is Silent Hill: Origins; how do you think that would have been like if nobody complained about the first version? Just think about that for a while...
emehlen
Just Passing Through

Post by emehlen »

Saying that Silent Hill is "dead" is a very strong choice of words, can't you agree? Have a little hope, this game looks promising, and I'm sceptical too.
Silent Hill wont be dead till Akira Yamaoka is. Developers and directors come and go but Yamaoka has been involved in every SH from the start
So that means that even if this one bombs then future installments still have hope
rusted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by rusted »

A guy post this in his blog, i don't know if someone posted here but here we go, is about a tv show called Supernatural (or something like it..) and he blames Konami for stealing the image of the actor appearing in that show

Comparaciones visuales (Visual Comparitions):

"El dibujo es Alex Shepherd, las fotografias de Dean Winchester (The Drawning is Alex Sheperd, The Photos, Dean Winchester).

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5301 ... esoxd7.jpg

Alex Shepherd:

http://silenthill5.net/silent-hill-5/sc ... ept_12.jpg

http://silenthill5.net/silent-hill-5/sc ... ept_10.jpg

http://silenthill5.net/silent-hill-5/sc ... ept_08.jpg

Dean Winchester:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/ ... kles49.jpg

http://a2.vox.com/6a00b8ea0737161bc000d ... 6a47-500pi

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/u ... 154846.jpg

http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/wallp ... atural.jpg "

Article link: http://www.ociojoven.com/foros/message/3668837/

sorry if this was already posted...
[img]http://static.flickr.com/87/217061285_729e113c4a_o.jpg[/img]

English is not my first language so stop bothering me, i will try my best.
CryingInTheCorner
Just Passing Through

Post by CryingInTheCorner »

Am I the only one that noticed that Alex's last name, Shepard, is also Mary Sunderland's maiden name??? Perhaps he's somehow related to James's dead wife? If so, this just became veeeery interesting. :wink:
"When you see the almighty Pyramid Head... run like your nuts are on fire."
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

there is a whole thread about that exact topic.
http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopi ... 93&start=0
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.