Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 16 Oct 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

Is Shepherd's Glen real?
Yes, it actually exists. 81%  81%  [ 17 ]
No, it's a manifestation of Alex's Shepherd's mind. 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 21
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Shepherd's Glen

Missing since: 15 Jul 2006
Notes left: 43
This seems obvious to me but how else thinks Shepherd's Glenn is Alex Shepherd's mind. They both share the same name. I'm betting the game is going to make the comment that people like Alex, James, etc are drawn to SH. I think it's his jumping off point in searching for why he did what he did which will suck his world into SH.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jun 2005
Notes left: 7464
Last seen at: Kentucky
I personally think it is too early for this kinda thread. How can anyone have an answer for this when we know partially nothing about the game??


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 652
Last seen at: San Luis Obispo, CA
Same thing. I don't be mean to the OP, but it's difficult to discuss something that we literally know nothing about.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 122
It does make for an intersting discussion, even if we can't bring up facts to support either side. Personally, I think it will be real. Family history probably ties into the towns name, much as my folks live on a road named after our ancestors.

If so, would it tie into the storyline... well lets say with Team Silent yes, with The Collective not sure yet.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Apr 2006
Notes left: 539
Last seen at: Somewhere in Nowhere
I must say that it's too early to say too since there have been no real indications that it exists or that it doesn't.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2006
Notes left: 43
If you feel that it's to early for this topic to be discussed that's fine, but I think a little speculation is permissible. We're all SH fans and are familiar with how SH stories are written. I noticed the similarity in names of the protagonist and his home town which I find rather peculiar. Why did Collective choose that name for his home town? I for one can't chalk it up to coincidence and think there is a reason for it. But I think SH fans expect stuff like this. We're able to deduce the symbolism of the creatures and psychosis of the main characters. I mean they both have the same name, Shepherd. It may end up being nothing but I think it's fun and a great way to pass the time till it's release.
While I don't have that many posts here, I do consider myself a fellow addict of SH and I'm analyzing everything. Time will till if there is anything to this but I'm Other topics are already discussing a possible relationship to Mary, which I think is dead on.
I'm just asking for fellow SH fans gut reactions, that's all.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Mar 2006
Notes left: 30
I hope if it turns out to be a manifestation of Alexs mind that that isn't the only surprise we have in store! *gathers more faith in the collective* Nah...I think we have a surprise that will rival the surprise at the end of SH2!!! At least that's what I'm hoping! TWISTS ROCK!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

_________________
We who have seen war, never stop seeing it...in the silence of the night we will always hear the screams...so this is our story...for we were soldiers once...and young. -Joe Galloway, reporter.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Apr 2005
Notes left: 189
Last seen at: NS, Canada
I'm gonna say it's probably a real place. As was mentioned earlier, a lot of people live in places that are named after their ancestors.

_________________
"You're gonna die,
We're all gonna die.
Could be 20 years, could be tonight.
Lately I have been wondering why,
We go to so much trouble to postpone the unavoidable,
And prolong the pain of being alive."
-Priests and Paramedics, Pedro the Lion
(I'm not even remotely depressed, I just really like that song)


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Dec 2005
Notes left: 115
Last seen at: L.G.C.
It would be cool if 'Shepherd's Glen' is a peaceful place of retreat that Alex has created for himself in his own mind so he can avoid the horrors of war and go quietly crazy in blissful ignorance. A place that his consciousness slips into when he is in his initial injury coma or something, which began as just a war veteran's delusion but because of outside contributing factors, his mind could have been infringed upon and intruded by the town of Silent Hill, which has infected and corrupted his idyllic imaginary utopia and imprinted a version of itself within him. I mean, weren't all of Silent Hill 4's locations manifestations of Walter's memories that he could pull the living inside of? Something similar could be happening here.

Heh, how's that for speculation!.......?


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Jan 2007
Notes left: 116
Last seen at: Chicago
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn the town of Shepard's Glen was mentioned in a previous SH game.

_________________
jayesbee.blogspot.com


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2006
Notes left: 583
Last seen at: Lakeside Amusement Park
19pack wrote:
It would be cool if 'Shepherd's Glen' is a peaceful place of retreat that Alex has created for himself in his own mind so he can avoid the horrors of war and go quietly crazy in blissful ignorance.


Do you mean it's kinda like the "opposite" of Silent Hill? Sort of like a peaceful place in someone's mind rather than life threatening world-shifting chaos Silent Hill? That's a pretty intersting thought. If that's the case, I vote for "manifestation of Alex's Shepherd's mind"


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2006
Notes left: 43
19pack wrote:
It would be cool if 'Shepherd's Glen' is a peaceful place of retreat that Alex has created for himself in his own mind so he can avoid the horrors of war and go quietly crazy in blissful ignorance. A place that his consciousness slips into when he is in his initial injury coma or something, which began as just a war veteran's delusion but because of outside contributing factors, his mind could have been infringed upon and intruded by the town of Silent Hill, which has infected and corrupted his idyllic imaginary utopia and imprinted a version of itself within him. I mean, weren't all of Silent Hill 4's locations manifestations of Walter's memories that he could pull the living inside of? Something similar could be happening here.

Heh, how's that for speculation!.......?


Pretty frickin' awesome! So instead of creating a tough guy protector persona he creates another place to retreat to. So how would SH affect his little slice of Americana? Someone has to be calling for him to come to SH, which would suggest a strong connection. Other posts have speculated that he's related to Mary and he's her brother I wonder if she is calling him ... to tell the truth, I hope not. I like Mary pretty much isolated in 2.


Top
   
 

RESPECT
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>Correct me if I'm wrong
You're wrong.

_________________
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Dec 2005
Notes left: 115
Last seen at: L.G.C.
Pyramidred wrote:
Pretty frickin' awesome! So instead of creating a tough guy protector persona he creates another place to retreat to. So how would SH affect his little slice of Americana? Someone has to be calling for him to come to SH, which would suggest a strong connection. Other posts have speculated that he's related to Mary and he's her brother I wonder if she is calling him ... to tell the truth, I hope not. I like Mary pretty much isolated in 2.


Thanks! I was just speculating on how it could incorporate a psychological side and also use ideas from Jacob's Ladder (all in his head). Based on that idea, he could be 'called' to Silent Hill or have a version of it invade his mind because of Order activity or he has an unexplored family link to Silent Hill / The Order or something (it might be safe to say that could be 'bound' to happen anyway)
From what little video footage I've seen, this idea (Silent Hill in Alex's head and infringing his own personal paradise of Shepherd's Glen) would be too risky a road for the developers to go down as thus far they appear to be playing it safe and are planning for the character to actually physically be in Silent Hill / Shepherd's Glen and look around jail cells and chase children.
What's the basis that people are speculating that Alex is related to Mary? I don't see how even if it were true that it would make much of a difference to the story, unless they've written in a stronger connection to SH2 than expected.

It could also be cool if he never went to war and was in Silent Hill all along, but can't remember where he's been.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2006
Notes left: 43
I believe that some are speculating that Alex is related to Mary because her maiden name is Shepherd. Mary Shepherd-Sunderland.
There's more speculation about the war and according to the time lines it would be early 90s, so the Gulf War is probably the war Alex was in.
I think it'll be interesting to see the war inside Alex's mind will parallel the war outside.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Dec 2005
Notes left: 115
Last seen at: L.G.C.
How do you figure out the Silent Hill series timeline? I know that SH1 is supposed to be set on the early to mid-eighties but how can we tell what years SH2 and SH4 were set? Or is there a really obvious answer? Is it to do with the car registrations on the vehicles in the town?

EDIT - Apologies, I realise that above comment was off topic. Hmm. Alex having been in the 1st Gulf war does present the opportunity to include 'Gulf War Syndrome' into it, I suppose although in what creative capacity I haven't a clue.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 23 Dec 2006
Notes left: 821
Last seen at: Blackpool UK
It'd be cool if half of his life had been made up after he retruned from War in the 90's but his mind was so messed up he went on some kind of rampage, and was locked away, and went into his own world - or something lol


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jun 2007
Notes left: 227
Last seen at: Neely's.
19pack wrote:
How do you figure out the Silent Hill series timeline? I know that SH1 is supposed to be set on the early to mid-eighties but how can we tell what years SH2 and SH4 were set? Or is there a really obvious answer? Is it to do with the car registrations on the vehicles in the town?

EDIT - Apologies, I realise that above comment was off topic. Hmm. Alex having been in the 1st Gulf war does present the opportunity to include 'Gulf War Syndrome' into it, I suppose although in what creative capacity I haven't a clue.


my brother was in iraq for a year and he's developed similar stress and even sleep disorders. it could definitely be the current war.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

RESPECT
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>How do you figure out the Silent Hill series timeline?
I did by doing a lot of research.

_________________
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Oct 2007
Notes left: 93
Last seen at: Silent Hill
Pyramidred wrote:
I believe that some are speculating that Alex is related to Mary because her maiden name is Shepherd. Mary Shepherd-Sunderland.
There's more speculation about the war and according to the time lines it would be early 90s, so the Gulf War is probably the war Alex was in.
I think it'll be interesting to see the war inside Alex's mind will parallel the war outside.
Yeah. :( really cool


Pyramidred wrote:
If you feel that it's to early for this topic to be discussed that's fine, but I think a little speculation is permissible. We're all SH fans and are familiar with how SH stories are written. I noticed the similarity in names of the protagonist and his home town which I find rather peculiar. Why did Collective choose that name for his home town? I for one can't chalk it up to coincidence and think there is a reason for it. But I think SH fans expect stuff like this. We're able to deduce the symbolism of the creatures and psychosis of the main characters. I mean they both have the same name, Shepherd. It may end up being nothing but I think it's fun and a great way to pass the time till it's release.
While I don't have that many posts here, I do consider myself a fellow addict of SH and I'm analyzing everything. Time will till if there is anything to this but I'm Other topics are already discussing a possible relationship to Mary, which I think is dead on.
I'm just asking for fellow SH fans gut reactions, that's all.

What? You lost me on if! :?:


Please stop double posting.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron