Shepherd's Glen

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Is Shepherd's Glen real?

Yes, it actually exists.
81%
No, it's a manifestation of Alex's Shepherd's mind.
19%

Total votes: 21

Pyramidred
Just Passing Through

Shepherd's Glen

Post by Pyramidred »

This seems obvious to me but how else thinks Shepherd's Glenn is Alex Shepherd's mind. They both share the same name. I'm betting the game is going to make the comment that people like Alex, James, etc are drawn to SH. I think it's his jumping off point in searching for why he did what he did which will suck his world into SH.
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I personally think it is too early for this kinda thread. How can anyone have an answer for this when we know partially nothing about the game??
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

Same thing. I don't be mean to the OP, but it's difficult to discuss something that we literally know nothing about.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

It does make for an intersting discussion, even if we can't bring up facts to support either side. Personally, I think it will be real. Family history probably ties into the towns name, much as my folks live on a road named after our ancestors.

If so, would it tie into the storyline... well lets say with Team Silent yes, with The Collective not sure yet.
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

I must say that it's too early to say too since there have been no real indications that it exists or that it doesn't.
Pyramidred
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramidred »

If you feel that it's to early for this topic to be discussed that's fine, but I think a little speculation is permissible. We're all SH fans and are familiar with how SH stories are written. I noticed the similarity in names of the protagonist and his home town which I find rather peculiar. Why did Collective choose that name for his home town? I for one can't chalk it up to coincidence and think there is a reason for it. But I think SH fans expect stuff like this. We're able to deduce the symbolism of the creatures and psychosis of the main characters. I mean they both have the same name, Shepherd. It may end up being nothing but I think it's fun and a great way to pass the time till it's release.
While I don't have that many posts here, I do consider myself a fellow addict of SH and I'm analyzing everything. Time will till if there is anything to this but I'm Other topics are already discussing a possible relationship to Mary, which I think is dead on.
I'm just asking for fellow SH fans gut reactions, that's all.
SacredAndProfane
Just Passing Through

Post by SacredAndProfane »

I hope if it turns out to be a manifestation of Alexs mind that that isn't the only surprise we have in store! *gathers more faith in the collective* Nah...I think we have a surprise that will rival the surprise at the end of SH2!!! At least that's what I'm hoping! TWISTS ROCK!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
We who have seen war, never stop seeing it...in the silence of the night we will always hear the screams...so this is our story...for we were soldiers once...and young. -Joe Galloway, reporter.
ProfessorScience
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ProfessorScience »

I'm gonna say it's probably a real place. As was mentioned earlier, a lot of people live in places that are named after their ancestors.
"You're gonna die,
We're all gonna die.
Could be 20 years, could be tonight.
Lately I have been wondering why,
We go to so much trouble to postpone the unavoidable,
And prolong the pain of being alive."
-Priests and Paramedics, Pedro the Lion
(I'm not even remotely depressed, I just really like that song)
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

It would be cool if 'Shepherd's Glen' is a peaceful place of retreat that Alex has created for himself in his own mind so he can avoid the horrors of war and go quietly crazy in blissful ignorance. A place that his consciousness slips into when he is in his initial injury coma or something, which began as just a war veteran's delusion but because of outside contributing factors, his mind could have been infringed upon and intruded by the town of Silent Hill, which has infected and corrupted his idyllic imaginary utopia and imprinted a version of itself within him. I mean, weren't all of Silent Hill 4's locations manifestations of Walter's memories that he could pull the living inside of? Something similar could be happening here.

Heh, how's that for speculation!.......?
jamie
Just Passing Through

Post by jamie »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn the town of Shepard's Glen was mentioned in a previous SH game.
jayesbee.blogspot.com
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

19pack wrote:It would be cool if 'Shepherd's Glen' is a peaceful place of retreat that Alex has created for himself in his own mind so he can avoid the horrors of war and go quietly crazy in blissful ignorance.
Do you mean it's kinda like the "opposite" of Silent Hill? Sort of like a peaceful place in someone's mind rather than life threatening world-shifting chaos Silent Hill? That's a pretty intersting thought. If that's the case, I vote for "manifestation of Alex's Shepherd's mind"
Pyramidred
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramidred »

19pack wrote:It would be cool if 'Shepherd's Glen' is a peaceful place of retreat that Alex has created for himself in his own mind so he can avoid the horrors of war and go quietly crazy in blissful ignorance. A place that his consciousness slips into when he is in his initial injury coma or something, which began as just a war veteran's delusion but because of outside contributing factors, his mind could have been infringed upon and intruded by the town of Silent Hill, which has infected and corrupted his idyllic imaginary utopia and imprinted a version of itself within him. I mean, weren't all of Silent Hill 4's locations manifestations of Walter's memories that he could pull the living inside of? Something similar could be happening here.

Heh, how's that for speculation!.......?
Pretty frickin' awesome! So instead of creating a tough guy protector persona he creates another place to retreat to. So how would SH affect his little slice of Americana? Someone has to be calling for him to come to SH, which would suggest a strong connection. Other posts have speculated that he's related to Mary and he's her brother I wonder if she is calling him ... to tell the truth, I hope not. I like Mary pretty much isolated in 2.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Correct me if I'm wrong
You're wrong.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

Pyramidred wrote:Pretty frickin' awesome! So instead of creating a tough guy protector persona he creates another place to retreat to. So how would SH affect his little slice of Americana? Someone has to be calling for him to come to SH, which would suggest a strong connection. Other posts have speculated that he's related to Mary and he's her brother I wonder if she is calling him ... to tell the truth, I hope not. I like Mary pretty much isolated in 2.
Thanks! I was just speculating on how it could incorporate a psychological side and also use ideas from Jacob's Ladder (all in his head). Based on that idea, he could be 'called' to Silent Hill or have a version of it invade his mind because of Order activity or he has an unexplored family link to Silent Hill / The Order or something (it might be safe to say that could be 'bound' to happen anyway)
From what little video footage I've seen, this idea (Silent Hill in Alex's head and infringing his own personal paradise of Shepherd's Glen) would be too risky a road for the developers to go down as thus far they appear to be playing it safe and are planning for the character to actually physically be in Silent Hill / Shepherd's Glen and look around jail cells and chase children.
What's the basis that people are speculating that Alex is related to Mary? I don't see how even if it were true that it would make much of a difference to the story, unless they've written in a stronger connection to SH2 than expected.

It could also be cool if he never went to war and was in Silent Hill all along, but can't remember where he's been.
Pyramidred
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramidred »

I believe that some are speculating that Alex is related to Mary because her maiden name is Shepherd. Mary Shepherd-Sunderland.
There's more speculation about the war and according to the time lines it would be early 90s, so the Gulf War is probably the war Alex was in.
I think it'll be interesting to see the war inside Alex's mind will parallel the war outside.
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

How do you figure out the Silent Hill series timeline? I know that SH1 is supposed to be set on the early to mid-eighties but how can we tell what years SH2 and SH4 were set? Or is there a really obvious answer? Is it to do with the car registrations on the vehicles in the town?

EDIT - Apologies, I realise that above comment was off topic. Hmm. Alex having been in the 1st Gulf war does present the opportunity to include 'Gulf War Syndrome' into it, I suppose although in what creative capacity I haven't a clue.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

It'd be cool if half of his life had been made up after he retruned from War in the 90's but his mind was so messed up he went on some kind of rampage, and was locked away, and went into his own world - or something lol
themudgopher
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by themudgopher »

19pack wrote:How do you figure out the Silent Hill series timeline? I know that SH1 is supposed to be set on the early to mid-eighties but how can we tell what years SH2 and SH4 were set? Or is there a really obvious answer? Is it to do with the car registrations on the vehicles in the town?

EDIT - Apologies, I realise that above comment was off topic. Hmm. Alex having been in the 1st Gulf war does present the opportunity to include 'Gulf War Syndrome' into it, I suppose although in what creative capacity I haven't a clue.
my brother was in iraq for a year and he's developed similar stress and even sleep disorders. it could definitely be the current war.
[img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/themudgopher/sig.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>How do you figure out the Silent Hill series timeline?
I did by doing a lot of research.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Pyramidhead777
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramidhead777 »

Pyramidred wrote:I believe that some are speculating that Alex is related to Mary because her maiden name is Shepherd. Mary Shepherd-Sunderland.
There's more speculation about the war and according to the time lines it would be early 90s, so the Gulf War is probably the war Alex was in.
I think it'll be interesting to see the war inside Alex's mind will parallel the war outside.
Yeah. :( really cool

Pyramidred wrote:If you feel that it's to early for this topic to be discussed that's fine, but I think a little speculation is permissible. We're all SH fans and are familiar with how SH stories are written. I noticed the similarity in names of the protagonist and his home town which I find rather peculiar. Why did Collective choose that name for his home town? I for one can't chalk it up to coincidence and think there is a reason for it. But I think SH fans expect stuff like this. We're able to deduce the symbolism of the creatures and psychosis of the main characters. I mean they both have the same name, Shepherd. It may end up being nothing but I think it's fun and a great way to pass the time till it's release.
While I don't have that many posts here, I do consider myself a fellow addict of SH and I'm analyzing everything. Time will till if there is anything to this but I'm Other topics are already discussing a possible relationship to Mary, which I think is dead on.
I'm just asking for fellow SH fans gut reactions, that's all.
What? You lost me on if! :?:

Please stop double posting.