Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

demollyon
Just Passing Through

Post by demollyon »

Well, I like the fact it's coming on Xbox 360 because I played SH1 and SH3 on my PC, which is not meant for adventure games. So, I'm glad I'll play it on a console! :)
There was a sig here. It's gone now.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I like that whilst it may not be perfect, it seems to have got off to a much stronger start than 0rigins did, and look how well that's turned out. It's bound to happen as outside developers get involved, but I have every faith in Yamaoka. Guy's a genious.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Pyramidhead777
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramidhead777 »

Here's a fun fact and I wonder if there's any relationship. Well, Alan Shepard was the first American in space and among the first three to orbit the moon.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

Iamthebastard wrote:For some reason, I'm happy that we have a pretty good idea what year it is when it all takes place. It should be 2003-2007 if I'm not wrong, probably after 2004 though, as SH4 took place ten years after the Sullivan murders in 1994.
I agree, it should be set after all the previous games as well

also who else wants ROBBIE as the final boss!? :P
Maverick
Just Passing Through

Post by Maverick »

Henry as the final boss with a Golden 2-iron
unreadphilosophy
Historical Society Historian

Post by unreadphilosophy »

JOHNNYBEGOOD wrote:I've always wanted to know how a person with military training would manage a trip through Silent Hill. As we see in the screenshots, there's some major asskicking involved.

I agree, a Soldier in Silent Hill is going to make for some interesting battles, especially considering the extensive knowledge Alex will have with weapons. Also, the fact that the setting of Silent Hill will represent a war zone is going to make it creepy as hell.
Gordon Freeman
Just Passing Through

Post by Gordon Freeman »

I was talking to my friend the other day and he told me he thinks Silent Hill 5 is going to be good but he didn't like the RE4 style of gameplay, i disagreed with him. The thing about the SH game series is that the gameplay up until SH3 did not scare me but i was scared of the creatures and the situation themselves. Games that scared me or actually made me jump were SH3, Doom 3, System Shock 2, Alien vs Predator, Condemned, and Resident Evil; except for SH3, these games have something in common. That thing is that they all take place in the first person view (RE1's camera was closer, Sh2 did that as well). Now SH5 using the camera that is closer and almost First Person is, in my opinion, better for a horror franchise. In SH1, i can tell that an enemy was coming because i'd see him in the distance, that wasn't exactly scary from the 3rd person point of view. Now being in the first or what i call hightened 3rd person view, makes the situation feel a bit more real. Take into eccant my earlier statement about seeing an enemy in the distance, think of it in a first person view, now which is scarier? Also it helps for jumper effects and suspense building. Imagine walking down a hall and you hear a noise coming from behind you, you turn around only to see nothing, you turn back around and you see a table-daddy (i think that's what their called, those table shaped things from SH2). Would that same situation be as scary in the third person view. I would say it kinda hard to see the creatures features. That is why i favor the new style of gameplay they're adapting.
Dr. Gordon Freeman
Ph.D. BadAssery
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Gordon Freeman wrote:Now SH5 using the camera that is closer and almost First Person is, in my opinion, better for a horror franchise.
I totally agree. The thing that you have to remember with the horror game genre is that its a reflection of the horror film genre. And in horror films the use of different camera angle is essential to get the right atmosphere and emotion. The vast majority of classic horror scenes use a tight angle or first person. Just relying on a third person camera angle floating down the hall behind your character can kill the tension as you become removed from the experience. You can see too far into the distance and you on screen character stands between you the player, and what ever it is coming at you. I mean I don't know about you but when I do see sickness in Silent Hill I also switch to the manual camera to see if I can get a closer look.

I think most people are just affraid of first person perpective because it is most commonly associated with these shooting games, but there is so much more that you can do with it. Doom 3 is probably the most 'jump of of your chair' scariest game I've ever played.

Yeah I'm all for tight angles, first person and use of directed camera angles.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

That's one of the things that really made Condemned so awesome. I could hear the bad guys around me and several times, I didn't know where they were until they snuck up behind me and nailed me. Had me looking over my shoulder constantly.
I'm offended by political correctness.
Gordon Freeman
Just Passing Through

Post by Gordon Freeman »

Breaka wrote: Just relying on a third person camera angle floating down the hall behind your character can kill the tension as you become removed from the experience.
Yes, that is what would happen in SH2 when i'd be running down the street. When monsters would throw themselves into the street while i was running, i would see that and go, was that a bird? Now in FEAR, it also did a good job at "get in your face scares", like the part when you're in the hospital in the maternaty ward. Silent Hill 4 tried to do that but it did not work as well. Eternal Darknesses' insanity effects worked very well and i think SH5 will do something similar if not the same, which is in my opinion, a good thing.
Dr. Gordon Freeman
Ph.D. BadAssery
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I heard rumors that Travis Grady, from Origins, is going to show up in this installment, as well. If so, I'll be elated.

A agree with you guys above me. First-person games are always scarier.
unreadphilosophy

Post by unreadphilosophy »

Video Gamer wrote:I heard rumors that Travis Grady, from Origins, is going to show up in this installment, as well. If so, I'll be elated.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Travis IS going to be in SHV gamer. I can't remember where, but I remember seeing some screen shots of the game, and one of them showed an older version of Travis with a shotgun. :)
lbsword
Just Passing Through

Post by lbsword »

Man, if they keep the deep story telling and symbolism, AND throw in great combat, its gonna be incredible.

Silent Hill combat always had conflicts with "realistic" skill of their characters.

The combat is clunky, and just because you arent military trained, doesnt mean you cant shoot something.

If they pull the combat togther, they got a killer game.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

That's kinda weird, I wonder how he'll fit into SHV, I wait anxiously tho :D
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Themountainking
Just Passing Through

Post by Themountainking »

Since I have posted several times in the "cons" thread of Silent Hill 5, I feel it's only fair to list a few things that I like about it so far.

One can't argue that the visuals look amazing. Lots of love went into the graphics, I just hope it isn't the only thing that gets attention.

The back story opens a lot of interesting possibilities. This, for me, is the most important part of any game, especially Silent Hill. You can add all the best graphics and effects you want, but if the story is shit than the game will fail. The idea of the character being a soldier can be a good thing. War can have severe impacts on the psyche. Guilt, regret, fear, anger, resentment and hatred. I remember the first trailer where you can hear the voice of the protagonist say that he doesn't want to go home. This is interesting because many war vets have had problems going back to "normal" life after their service is up. I'm no psychologist but I can imagine how hard it must be for them to suddenly have to switch out of a "survival" mentality and try to return to their old lives. I expect this switch would also mean that suddenly they have to deal with everything they have seen and experienced all at once. It must be overwhelming. I think the term used is "post-traumatic stress disorder". I hope they approach the story in a sensitive way and not just use the fact that the main character has a history in the military as an excuse to turn the game into a super combat intensive thriller.

I'm much more anxious to see how melee combat has changed since I can't stand using guns in Silent Hill...thats just a personal preference though.

Greater interaction with the environment could add a lot to the atmosphere if done correctly, or take away from it greatly if done poorly. I talked about this in the cons section.

It looks as though the controls have been polished a bit, which is nice. The movement animations also look very smooth and fluid, which is important.

Real-time reality shifts have great potential. It could go either way though. I won't list this as a pro or a con simply because I will have to play the game to see how it fits.

For the most part the creatures seem scary enough.

The overall look of the game is very nice. I would however like to see just a bit more fog, some of the scenery in the trailers looked a bit too crisp for me. It was still very nice looking though, so I can't really complain.

There it is. Even if I am worried about this game, I at least put forth the effort to come up with a good list of things I liked about it. I want nothing more than for this game to succeed and truly be something special.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Travis IS going to be in SHV gamer.
Source me.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

Mockingbird wrote: Source me.
http://silenthill5.net/2007/12/27/silen ... ill-v.html

There are some pictures of an older looking Travis, but according to the site:

"Now, as for Travis it is currently unclear if he will appear in Silent Hill V or it's something to do with the Konami/Climax project OR Akira's project which might well be the same thing. We'll have the details as they come."

It would be interesting to see Travis in SHV though...
nobody is anybody
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

lol bunch of years later and he's still rockin' the trucker attire.
Keepin' it real Travis....keepin' it reeeal 8)
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
EileenGalvin
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EileenGalvin »

I like the graphics and some of the changings, like the ability of breaking windows and climbing through them, or in that one scene where Alex climbs down the broken road. That was awesome!

The character design looks nice so far too :)
[url=http://www.visitsilenthill.com][img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/vshsignature.gif[/img][/url]
SilentRacoonX
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SilentRacoonX »

The absolutely sick graphics this game is going to have. I believe the more realistic the game gets the more frightening it will be. I dont know bout you guys but I get scared shitless by every SH game, and from what I see so far this one is gonna be absolutely wicked.
[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/yayoninja/skin.gif[/img]
In the Hall of Deranged Portraits I find myself...and there won't be enough left for them to bury.-SRX