Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Re: Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Post by JuriDawn »

Aherd wrote:I remembered the first time I played(on hard mode), I thought the atmosphere was great, BUT the monsters were unusually hard.
Yep. I think I see yer problem here. . .
rollerfan222
Just Passing Through

Post by rollerfan222 »

Tabris, the end level didn't suffer from the otherworld's "effects", that's why the ORDER was based there, beneath the church, the only intact place when Silent Hill was corrupted by the otherworld at the end of the Prison level.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

-The fact that they used the movie as inspiration. Particularly combining the order of SH 1 and 3 with the Cult from the movie. They reduced it to a boring group of crazy sadists.
-The stuff they ripped from Hostel, which is a terrible movie itself.
- First SH game where the music didn't do anything for me, except for the tune in the start menu.
- Story was unimaginative, you see the plot twist from a mile away. Plus I wasn't really moved by the generally unlikable characters. Wheeler is a stereotype who's cheesy remarks lower the dread factor.
ShiningBind
Just Passing Through

Post by ShiningBind »

I think the one thing that really bothered me is the QTE. I think that it was new in this game and it bugged the heck out of me, and in my opinion-doesn't fit SH at all.
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

1.humans as enemies
2.you don't have a real choice of run or flight
3.that (to me) everything seemed bland
4.recycle monster ideas
5.drew inspiration from the movie
6.the plot
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ Everything, in other words.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Don't know if it's really a con but there were parts of dialogue that made me laugh (that were probably not supposed to).

Things like:
Alex: "How about I take that shotgun off your hands?"

Curtis: "How about I slapped you and killed you?"
We are still here...
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

Mephisto wrote:^ Everything, in other words.
Not everthing
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

the glitches, i had to purchase/return 3 different games to finally get a copy that didnt have some major glitch in it.

the plot, lame.
zeo
Just Passing Through

Post by zeo »

Things I didn't like...

Forced to fight? No Thanks. It's more epic to feel like only some fights are worth killing for. I'd rather the game encourage me to run for my life instead. Over the shoulder view? No thanks.

Putting 'PyramidHead' randomly on display in his clothing from the movie. He didn't belong there, regardless. The game felt like it was made merely as merchandise to rope in the movie fans. Also this game ruined the nurses, Apparently now they're peach colored bimbos with thunder thighs? ehh.. (could say that's the movie's fault but you get the idea)

Hated how it drew inspiration from the movie. The games were their own thing. The movie was adapted from the game. Why on earth did Homecoming go backwards to be like the movie.

Not a fan of the 'People in gas-masks' replacing what could have otherwise been an abstract inspired creature had it not drew said inspiration from the film.

Most of the monsters seemed to be more comical than scary. I dig that it tried to be abstract like the amazing older games, but I still just wasn't in to it. The monsters also seemed to be recycled versions of older ones, and not in a way that felt right. The psychological dread and uneasyness of the atmosphere was gone. Instead it was replaced with "what am I going to fight next?".

The town itself was stale this time around to look at. The only thing I actually liked about the atmosphere was the dense fog. The rest was completely forgettable to me.

I don't mind gore, but this time around it just felt like 'SAW' or something. Didn't really fit.

I didn't really like any of the game I guess?.. lol. don't hate me please.
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

eddieatemypizza wrote:the glitches, i had to purchase/return 3 different games to finally get a copy that didnt have some major glitch in it.
You got a lot of persistance. Glad you finally got a copy that worked.
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

yeah on one of them i was like 5 hours into it and it glitched at the part where your suppose to use the dagger to open a door and i had to start all over again.

apprently tons of people have had the same glitches and problems with this game. the invisible smog glitches were the worst.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

The PC port is notorious for being awful with glitches... which is unfortunately the version I played. I got lucky and managed to avoid the game breaking glitches, but my controls constantly resetting was pretty damn annoying. And the game was obviously not worth the trouble in the end... but at least I can say I've played the damned thing now.
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

oh yeah i forgot something even more annoying that happened to.. on my first play through it gave methe UFO ending..i was like ahhhh ooookk.. thats retarded. so basically i had to re play the game again to get a real ending..

now that i think about it, this game was full of nonstop frustration.
ChaseR
Just Passing Through

Post by ChaseR »

Lots of bugs, problem with audio and lightning effects (black textures and changing texture of Alex). :(
This is solution that worked for me in the case of freezing Alex (aka not moving at all). Playing it on winxp sp3 with below the min. requirements. :o

1.Installed patch enbseries_sh5_patch11 (which fixed sound problem and freezing animantion
start and not responding status)
2. Open file vars_pc with notepad and set fullscreen to false then just save
(game should run in window then)
3. When Alex is not moving aka freezing (problem with controls) press ctrl-alt-del
to open task manager or any other window, then after 2-3 seconds close task manager or other, or just switch back through alt-tab
4. Game is normal again (not including black textures and Alex texture that can change)
5. If there is some error and crashing to desktop after some cutscene (for me it was in doctor
office and scarlett room into otherworld) just press esc to pass scene.

As biggest fan of Silent Hill phenomenon, anyone know why Downpour didnt come out for pc?
Maybe because of conversion from consoles?
Hope this help in this good game
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

I finished this recently for the first time.

How come you can't run?!

Very little dual worlds gameplay.

Random jumps to unrelated places.

Lack of ammo/gunplay

These are what come to mind.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

Haoie wrote:Random jumps to unrelated places.
I'm curious as to why you consider this a negative? It has been something that was used in most (if not all) of the previous games.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Haoie wrote:
How come you can't run?!
Eh? You can run in all the SH games, including Homecoming!
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Glitches, unfortunately they seriously lower the value of the game.

PH being here for fan service, this game is better than that.

I guess the ending, people love to say how this copies SH2 but tragedies do happen, i guess it could´ve been handled better.

No nightmares about Alex war time, tho that´s something i would´ve liked to see more than a game fault since they took another direction with Alex.