Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

^ Agreed, UndeadFishtank, since the damn thing was in your face every other door you went through.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Nix wrote:The new combat system (which strongly reasembled the new RE games).
Didin't like it at all.
It doesn't resemble the new RE combat system in the slightest. The focus is on melee, there are combo moves, you can move and shoot at the same time, etc., etc.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

leftshoe18 wrote:
Nix wrote:The new combat system (which strongly reasembled the new RE games).
Didin't like it at all.
It doesn't resemble the new RE combat system in the slightest. The focus is on melee, there are combo moves, you can move and shoot at the same time, etc., etc.
No. RE controls were solid and not awkward. Plus it doesn't suck like SH5.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I don't think he was implying that Resident Evil controls are better than Silent Hill's. Just that they were different.

A lot of people actually happened to like the controls, and as far as I know this is one of the few things that people actually did like, so obviously they aren't as awkward or God-awful as you're trying to say they are.

I agree that the battle system and camera angle are my least favorite things about the game, but I can still enjoy the game. I think if the focus was less on combat the game would've been received better. Or maybe it wouldn't have because "Team Silent" didn't make it.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

UndeadFishtank. Spreading his hate for the Homecoming game since 2010.

You have 109 posts, like 100 of 'em are for this thread, right here. You hate the fuckin' game, we get it. We already got it, and we will get it again. Do you know what it looks like? That you feel the need to bitch about something just for the sake of it. Does it make you feel better?

Bitching about the loading screens, for example. How ridiculous. . .
Who cares if they didn't changed Alex's design in the loading screen? It's a fucking loading screen. . . Many games doesn't even have an image, just a "Now Loading" text and nobody bitches about it.

Sometimes I ask myself if some of you already ran out of ideas to bitch and then you just pick on the little ones (or some random things, like how "the crack on the floor was horrible") to vent your "frustrations". . .
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Maybe he just hated it THAT much. :D
If he's one of those people who isn't good at debating, he's just going to stick with something he's positively certain about. I'm actually surprised that people even notice things like that. I wasn't expecting anyone to "notice" me until I'd been here a year or so, because this forum is so big.
I'm just gonna skip all the other stuff I feel about Homecoming in this post, too. It's not really the worst game ever made, but it's definitely not the best Silent Hill by any means. It's actually my least favorite (pretty much.)
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
UndeadFishtank
Just Passing Through

Post by UndeadFishtank »

Mephisto wrote:UndeadFishtank. Spreading his hate for the Homecoming game since 2010.

You have 109 posts, like 100 of 'em are for this thread, right here. You hate the fuckin' game, we get it. We already got it, and we will get it again. Do you know what it looks like? That you feel the need to bitch about something just for the sake of it. Does it make you feel better?

Who cares if they didn't changed Alex's design in the loading screen? It's a fucking loading screen. . . Many games doesn't even have an image, just a "Now Loading" text and nobody bitches about it.

Sometimes I ask myself if some of you already ran out of ideas to bitch and then you just pick on the little ones (or some random things, like how "the crack on the floor was horrible") to vent your "frustrations". . .
My Profile Page wrote:Most active forum: Silent Hill 8
[ 74 Posts / 67.89% of your posts ]
Most active topic: Tom Waltz talks Silent Hill 8 and new tie-in Comic
[ 29 Posts / 26.61% of your posts ]
Neither of those concern Homecoming. I haven't been spreading hate for Homecoming. Just because I feel like replying to people who post in this thread when they say something similar to what I had in mind, or remind me of something, doesn't mean that I live my life to spread hate for Homecoming. I don't even hate Homecoming. Seriously. But I get emails every time someone replies to a thread that I have posted in, so I always see when someone has posted something new. Seems really random for you to post this. I mean, have I offended you in some way? Does it even matter what either of us post on an open forum? I don't care what you post, and you shouldn't care what I post either. It doesn't effect you. Hell, I don't even know what's going on in your life. You act as if my posting in this thread is a personal attack upon your person. If that's the case (however strange), then sorry for offending you, dear sir.

Oh, and I don't really care about the loading screens. It was just a little something that I noticed, and decided to mention it, since someone had brought up the loading screens. I don't care if something has no loading screen, or a simple loading screen, I just thought it was weird that they decided to have the loading screen that they did and didn't take the time to update the images with the new model of Alex. I mean, many people complain about lack of attention to detail with other games, and this is merely an example of that. And speaking of the "crack in the floor"? Before Homecoming came out (when it was still called Silent Hill V), I showed a development pic to my friend Crystal. You know what her first comment was? The blood on the floor looks like nail polish. She also made a comment about how the monsters weren't "wet" enough. There are many people in this thread who have had longer laundry lists of complaints about the game. This is the most I've probably typed in this thread, and it's only because you decided to ... Well, I don't even know what you've done.

Well, I can't say I'll never post in this thread anymore, but you know what I thought before I clicked the link in the email this time? "People really need to stop posting in this thread. I mean, the game's not exactly new, and people should stop with the cons. I mean, everything that can be said has pretty much already been said. [And I said the same thing already once in this thread.] Not to mention Silent Hill: Downpour is on its way, so most people should probably be focusing on that." So yeah, I was wondering what this new post could be about. Turns out that it's completely off-topic, mostly immature, and definitely unnecessary. If it had been at least somewhat humorous, I would have just laughed it off and maybe given a short reply, but it was simply a childish attack. Good luck with your life. Have a good day, sir. And surely I'll see you elsewhere on the forums, and you'll still carry with you this unfounded hostility, but maybe you'll be able to put it behind yourself and treat me like I deserve to be treated. I don't think any different of you, because I don't know you, but I think next time you should at least be able to check your facts before posting such an attack.

Thanks,
~UF
"I stole the TV.” ~ Jerri Blank, 1999
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Mephisto wrote:UndeadFishtank. Spreading his hate for the Homecoming game since 2010.

I'm not bitching just giving my opinion.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
BrookhavenFiend
Just Passing Through

Post by BrookhavenFiend »

Banana peel monsters -.-
I color the world with the hues of my madness
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I also found stupid the development pictures in the loading screens; I think I wrote something about it here...

The thing is... If the only fail of the game would be the development pics I wouldn't complain about it but... It is just a plus besides all the other things that annoy me so much...

It's like to find a loading screen in Resident Evil 2 with a pic of Eliza Walker...
UndeadFishtank
Just Passing Through

Post by UndeadFishtank »

KageReneko wrote:I also found stupid the development pictures in the loading screens; I think I wrote something about it here...

The thing is... If the only fail of the game would be the development pics I wouldn't complain about it but... It is just a plus besides all the other things that annoy me so much...

It's like to find a loading screen in Resident Evil 2 with a pic of Eliza Walker...
Yep. :) So there's at least three of us that noticed it. :D
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Whole lotta thought for that, huh?
UndeadFishtank wrote:
[ 29 Posts / 26.61% of your posts
Neither of those concern Homecoming.

It was an example. And you know it.
Seems really random for you to post this. I mean, have I offended you in some way?
No, have I offended you in some way? Some people around here are too over sensitive.
Does it even matter what either of us post on an open forum?
Yes, if I want to take part on a discussion, that is.
I don't care what you post, and you shouldn't care what I post either.
What a great philosophy. It means everyone can post all the crap they want, in your opinion?
You act as if my posting in this thread is a personal attack upon your person. If that's the case (however strange), then sorry for offending you, dear sir.
No thanks. I'm not over sensitive like some persons.
Oh, and I don't really care about the loading screens. It was just a little something that I noticed, and decided to mention it, since someone had brought up the loading screens. I don't care if something has no loading screen, or a simple loading screen, I just thought it was weird that they decided to have the loading screen that they did and didn't take the time to update the images with the new model of Alex.
No, you just found it lazy, for lack of better words.
She also made a comment about how the monsters weren't "wet" enough.
You could tell her that Homecoming isn't SH2.
So yeah, I was wondering what this new post could be about. Turns out that it's completely off-topic, mostly immature, and definitely unnecessary.
I call it "heads up".
Good luck with your life. Have a good day, sir.
I could say the same thing.
I don't think any different of you, because I don't know you
You don't need to know someone to think something about said person.
but I think next time you should at least be able to check your facts before posting such an attack.
It wasn't an attack. Call it an opinion.

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to make you stop with your posting. When someone post something, this someone is already in the middle of a potential exchange of likes and dislikes (opinions). That's what I did.

But maybe you thought I "offended" you, or that you "offended" me because of the swearing? A lot of people swear and make use of the "bad words". You're in an adult forum, you shold know that a thing like this would come from someone sooner or later.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Mephisto wrote:Whole lotta thought for that, huh?
UndeadFishtank wrote:
[ 29 Posts / 26.61% of your posts
Neither of those concern Homecoming.

It was an example. And you know it.
Seems really random for you to post this. I mean, have I offended you in some way?
No, have I offended you in some way? Some people around here are too over sensitive.
Does it even matter what either of us post on an open forum?
Yes, if I want to take part on a discussion, that is.
I don't care what you post, and you shouldn't care what I post either.
What a great philosophy. It means everyone can post all the crap they want, in your opinion?
You act as if my posting in this thread is a personal attack upon your person. If that's the case (however strange), then sorry for offending you, dear sir.
No thanks. I'm not over sensitive like some persons.
Oh, and I don't really care about the loading screens. It was just a little something that I noticed, and decided to mention it, since someone had brought up the loading screens. I don't care if something has no loading screen, or a simple loading screen, I just thought it was weird that they decided to have the loading screen that they did and didn't take the time to update the images with the new model of Alex.
No, you just found it lazy, for lack of better words.
She also made a comment about how the monsters weren't "wet" enough.
You could tell her that Homecoming isn't SH2.
So yeah, I was wondering what this new post could be about. Turns out that it's completely off-topic, mostly immature, and definitely unnecessary.
I call it "heads up".
Good luck with your life. Have a good day, sir.
I could say the same thing.
I don't think any different of you, because I don't know you
You don't need to know someone to think something about said person.
but I think next time you should at least be able to check your facts before posting such an attack.
It wasn't an attack. Call it an opinion.

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to make you stop with your posting. When someone post something, this someone is already in the middle of a potential exchange of likes and dislikes (opinions). That's what I did.

But maybe you thought I "offended" you, or that you "offended" me because of the swearing? A lot of people swear and make use of the "bad words". You're in an adult forum, you shold know that a thing like this would come from someone sooner or later.
People are taking this way too seriously.
Stephen King
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ So, umm . . . about Homecoming ... yeah, I didn't like it, cause, the story didn't hold very much interest for me after the first hour and by the end of the game I really didn't care about what happened to the characters or anything, there wasn't enough development put into them. Curtis was one character at the beginning and another character at the end.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:^ So, umm . . . about Homecoming ... yeah, I didn't like it, cause, the story didn't hold very much interest for me after the first hour and by the end of the game I really didn't care about what happened to the characters or anything, there wasn't enough development put into them. Curtis was one character at the beginning and another character at the end.
I agree. All in all i thought the characters were pretty bland and stereotypical. I mean, the police officer, come on!

By the end i just wanted it to be over and the whole "shock" ending was so obvious it's untrue.
Stephen King
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Another thing that I didn't like was that all the symbolism is about the main plot of the game... You don't find so many WTF stuff like the other games (Except the prison)
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

My biggest problem w/ Homecoming was this:

LIGHTING

It was completely obliterated in this game. It was demolished. Stomped, danced and spat upon. So many times in the game is was far too dark to even see anything. All I was often looking at, especially in the Silent Hill Underground area, was darkness. I couldn't see anything. I would fight by doing nothing but button mashing and listening to the sounds to try and keep Alex relatively close to the Order Soldiers. Even in cutscenes is was too dark too see. In the final cutscene w/ Elle, Alex looks back at Elle from the shadows and doesn't even look human anymore. His face is highlighted in such a way that it appears ragged, aged and creature-like. Other times, such as the first meeting between Elle and Alex, the oppressive atmosphere is almost totally lost by the blinding grey. It is so bright I wonder why the characters are no squinting like I am.

I thought the lighting most of the time through the orange Otherworld was not bad. It was all washed out, spread out and ultimately the play between light and dark was more then tolerable to look at. Not to say that I liked it, I just didn't hate it. There was only one scene that I know of that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED from the lighting aspect. Yes, the graphics are sloppy and unpolished, but the lighting was beautiful in this cutscene. The under lighting paired w/ the cloaking shadows played perfectly together. Alex in the spot light as Josh runs away into the total darkness, nothing but a shadow by Alex's backlighting. Fantastic. In fact this entire scene is amazing. It is my favorite cutscene of the entire game. The way Alex is under the microscope, tight close ups on his (sadly unmoving) face, showing the (complete lack of) emotions play across his face as his offering is rejected and his brother runs away into the darkness, away from the protector. Amazing.

Other than lighting, my problems w/ the storyline abound. I really, REALLY liked the base story of the brothers. I really felt attached to Alex, more ways then I care to go into, but I very much played the older protector to the younger sibling I love dearly. I adore the idea of the intended sacrifice accidentally killing the golden child. I've never seen anything quiet like that and it was very thought-provoking. BUT when they through in the added bonus of being crazy and the story of Silent Hill, it is shot to hell. It is beaten about the head, neck and face. Over and over. There was nothing w/n the original Cultic ideology that called for the sacrifice, other then super special situation to bring god to life, not just keep it from getting all pissy. There is the fact that Alex has so many opportunities to die, but doesn't. He almost drowns at 8 yet Doc Fitch risks his life to save him. Why would Doc Fitch risk his life to save Alex if 1) Alex is doomed to die anyway and 2) Doc Fitch is going to have to off his kid in a couple yr.s? On top of that, why was Josh not accepted? He was killed (conveniently) the way the Shepard Family agreed to kill their children. In the special alter room, it says something like "We the Shepard Family do.... by means of water." or something to that effect. It doesn't say that the parents have to physically drown the child--and even if it does, the Holloway family didn't follow it word for word either. Judge Holloway doe not hang Nora but strangled her. So if the Holloway Family took certain liberties, why were the Shepard Family not allowed to do so?

The more I look at the plotine's finer details, the more holes I seem to be finding.

It comes down, to me, this game would be so much better as a stand alone game, completely removed from the SH universe. It just tries so hard to fit in and fails miserable. And I say that w/ all the love I have for the game.

OH and BTW. I keep getting the goddamn Drowning Ending WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE AT ALL! That ending is stupid. He is in his current clothes but... it takes place before--you see where I am going? Fuck you, his parents didn't deserve forgiveness. It ain't something you just get to ask for on you death bed and are granted, at least not in my eyes.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ It's because you kill his mother and because you don't forgive his father, if I'm not wrong. Try something different and you'll get another ending. . . . .
The-Dark-Avenger
Just Passing Through

Post by The-Dark-Avenger »

Didn't really like fighting the Order members, and didn't like how it says "Turn off your flashlight and enemies won't see you" only seems to work on Nurses, so that tip was pointless.
Also i'm not a big fan of the multiple ending thing, I usually like a solid canon ending, but from what I can tell all SH games are like this so no biggy.
UndeadFishtank
Just Passing Through

Post by UndeadFishtank »

The-Dark-Avenger wrote:Didn't really like fighting the Order members, and didn't like how it says "Turn off your flashlight and enemies won't see you" only seems to work on Nurses, so that tip was pointless.
Also i'm not a big fan of the multiple ending thing, I usually like a solid canon ending, but from what I can tell all SH games are like this so no biggy.
Yeah, it's something that they like to include. However, in my opinion, the other games do a better job with multiple endings, so if this is the first SH game you've played, don't be put off by it. :)