Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

SHV won't make the escapist eat his own ass, but it sure would make me say "hey, that was good. Now I can go to...sleep...AHH!!".
Prostetiche wrote:The new SH is following the whole graphic masturbation wave with those new super high tech new generation extreeeeeme consoles..... they should focus on making us shit our pants.
That may sack their pockets from fat dollars if they try to make a whole new thing, since every body knows, being a video game developer is not a guaranteed job. You don't know what video gamers might want.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

game_over wrote:SHV won't make the escapist eat his own ass, but it sure would make me say "hey, that was good. Now I can go to...sleep...AHH!!".
Prostetiche wrote:The new SH is following the whole graphic masturbation wave with those new super high tech new generation extreeeeeme consoles..... they should focus on making us shit our pants.
That may sack their pockets from fat dollars if they try to make a whole new thing, since every body knows, being a video game developer is not a guaranteed job. You don't know what video gamers might want.
I don't think profitability justifies making a mediocre game. Also if I had the job of making a silent hill game, I'd literally just discus ideas with people who have worked on previous titles and media, and most obviously just ask the fans themselves. I don't think there is any excuse for this project not to hit the mark.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

That's the problem, though. What is the mark? Do you peddle it to a small group of hardcore fans or do you try to expand on that base and make the franchise more successful?

Personally, I'd rather see them expand the franchise AND make a kick-ass game in the process. Incredible graphics are a great thing if you have the gameplay and atmosphere to back them up.
I'm offended by political correctness.
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

LIEK RE 4 NEone?
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

Any video game would hit the shelves and would sell, but it would really matter when the sales go above 750,000 or a million.
corpsegrindr
Just Passing Through

Post by corpsegrindr »

VIVIsect wrote:Where a video game is developed has nothing to do with sales in the particular area that the game was produced. "Team Silent" dropped the ball with Silent Hill 4, hurting the franchise and possibly compromising future sales. As a result Konami decided to outsource to whatever developer they felt could make the best game. It happened to be an American team. End of story.
Good point! Silent hill 4 was a let down compared to the previouse games no doubt. How is this new team going to even come close to the old consepts and true originality of Silent Hill? : (
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

These ups and downs happen to all companies or game developers. Its not always 'great'. It might suck sometimes.
Scabbed Angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scabbed Angel »

Breaka wrote: I don't think profitability justifies making a mediocre game.
*cough*silenthill5theroom*cough*

Like the room, the main thing I'm not liking about SHV so far is that the monsters really, really suck. They really don't seem to even vaguely understand what Masahiro Ito was doing. They're just making really crappy copies that feel like RE2 monsters.
Masahiro Ito fanboy
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

The game has a history of crappy monsters, though. As good as some were, others were definitely lacking. The birds from SH1? Not scary at all... the only problem was that they were faster than you. The Sewer Monsters? Reminded me of Lickers from RE2. The Numb Bodies? Chickens that made funny sounds. Dogs? Been there, done that in RE and every SH game except for SH2. Giant Moth Monster from SH1? Yawn.

SH has always been kind of iffy with some of the monster designs. It all comes down to the way the monsters are implemented with the story and atmosphere.
EileenGalvin
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EileenGalvin »

The monsters suck

Come one, that one thing looks like a walking orgy... and another rip off of SH2's Lying Figure? Why? How about being creative??? ... oh wait, the creativity of The Collective leads me back to the walking orgy......

Having more monsters in the game

Why? Silent Hill is supposed to scare you with it's suppressing atmosphere/settings/story.

The combat system got improved (...... ) so you can do more different things when fighting the monsters

What's that, TEKKEN??

The monsters will be smarter, stronger, faster and you can hardly avoid combat

duh...

Travis in Silent Hill V

WTF?!
[url=http://www.visitsilenthill.com][img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/vshsignature.gif[/img][/url]
Scabbed Angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scabbed Angel »

KLGChaos wrote:The game has a history of crappy monsters, though. As good as some were, others were definitely lacking. The birds from SH1? Not scary at all... the only problem was that they were faster than you. The Sewer Monsters? Reminded me of Lickers from RE2. The Numb Bodies? Chickens that made funny sounds. Dogs? Been there, done that in RE and every SH game except for SH2. Giant Moth Monster from SH1? Yawn.

SH has always been kind of iffy with some of the monster designs. It all comes down to the way the monsters are implemented with the story and atmosphere.
Well you do make an interesting point, although I disagree with you on the flying creatures in SH1 (biased most likely A) by nostolgia as they are the first monsters you see and B) the obvious homage to The Mist). On the contrary however:
PH
Bobble head nurses
lying figures
Incubus
Mary/Maria demon
Mannequins
Mumblers/Grey children
Closers
Split Head
Slurper
etc

All of these are extraordinarily creative and classic designs. Even the weakest on the list outshines anything we've seen so far.

Although again to be optimistic even this "hate" thread, the rest of the game looks really good.
Masahiro Ito fanboy
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Scabbed Angel wrote:
KLGChaos wrote:The game has a history of crappy monsters, though. As good as some were, others were definitely lacking. The birds from SH1? Not scary at all... the only problem was that they were faster than you. The Sewer Monsters? Reminded me of Lickers from RE2. The Numb Bodies? Chickens that made funny sounds. Dogs? Been there, done that in RE and every SH game except for SH2. Giant Moth Monster from SH1? Yawn.

Well you do make an interesting point, although I disagree with you on the flying creatures in SH1 (biased most likely A) by nostolgia as they are the first monsters you see and B) the obvious homage to The Mist). On the contrary however:
PH
Bobble head nurses
lying figures
Incubus
Mary/Maria demon
Mannequins
Mumblers/Grey children
Closers
Split Head
Slurper
etc

All of these are extraordinarily creative and classic designs. Even the weakest on the list outshines anything we've seen so far.

Although again to be optimistic even this "hate" thread, the rest of the game looks really good.
Oh yes, the game has some great monster designs, as well (though I'm not a big fan of the Closers myself and I think Split Head was just another dog design, if I remember correctly and I never even heard of the mist when I first played the game on its release date many, many years ago). But they also have their share of "so-so" monsters. It's going to happen. Personally, I think the best monster designs I've seen in a survival horror were in The Suffering. That had some really cool stuff that tied into the story nicely. The Pimp (from Ties That Bind) was one of my favorites.

All in all, I'm not going to nitpick little things like monster design, because everyone has different opinions and feelings on things. I'm going to play the game and enjoy it for what it was. It can't be any worse than SH4 and I liked that game despite it's numerous, annoying, game-play killing flaws.
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

EileenGalvin wrote: The combat system got improved (...... ) so you can do more different things when fighting the monsters

What's that, TEKKEN??

Travis in Silent Hill V

WTF?!
LOL. Good reference.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I dont see any problem with improved combat myself. Its a good thing surely. But I totally agree that the monsters are too elaborate. It's much better when they just look all melted and distorted so the almost look like people from far away, but all nasty when close up. The lying figure was a work of art. And I personally like the closers, that suky mouth did make you think wtf is that.

The monsters in SHV need to be a lot more Francis Bacon style.

Also I was watching the movie again the other day and the that scene with the lying figure is incredible, the just got it so perfect. So it's not like ideas cant be transferred and developed successfully.
carlito1man
Just Passing Through

let's hope so

Post by carlito1man »

Doo-glas wrote:my only worries are that the art style and story may not be able to match the pure insanity of the previous games(cuz what's more insane that the Japanese? :P )

oh yeah and PLEASE don't add any stuff from the movie(like saying Silent Hill is a mining town) because that would totally screw up the games continuity
good point! just because the movie brought on more fans, doesn't mean they should follow the same formula. i hope the game developers are watching these post, so that they can STAY ORIGINAL!
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Nah, I think the developers are aware that SH is a Resort town (or at least used to be). At least, I hope they are. But I really doubt they'd start messing with the continuity. I was already upset that Gans did, because it ruined a lot of chances for any sequels involving our favorite psychotic wife-killer.
thenarcissuseffect
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by thenarcissuseffect »

-
Last edited by thenarcissuseffect on 10 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Themountainking
Just Passing Through

Post by Themountainking »

I'm new here to SHH but forgive me for not introducing myself first. I'll get around to it later.

I've been a huge fan of Silent Hill since the first game came out back in 1999. My thoughts of the soon-to-be fifth installment of the series are troubled at best. I would have loved it if Team Silent had stopped making Silent Hill titles after the third release since all three of those games are phenomenal achievements in story driven gameplay, more notably the second release.

After playing the fourth installment I felt that Team Silent had either lost touch with the roots of what made their previous games so amazing, or they were simply running low on ideas and motivation. I'm not presuming to know the actual reason, but this is how I felt at the time. When Climax released Silent Hill Origins for the PSP my apprehension towards the "new direction" the franchise had taken was re-enforced.

To me, Silent Hill did in fact end once the third game was released. Silent Hill 5 will most certainly fail as a compelling character driven experience. It will succeed in being a better "game" however. Upgrades to combat and the introduction of "checkpoints" will make the game more approachable to those not familiar with our beloved Silent Hill. Silent Hill 5 will be a combat intensive "thriller". Every time you open a door there will be a monster you must defeat. You will have to turn off your flashlight any time you enter an unexplored area, since monsters will surely sprint in your direction if you fail to do so. This was the case with Origins, and Travis was merely a trucker. Can you imagine what it will be like now that the protagonist is a war-hardened soldier?

I truly dislike the direction Silent Hill has been forced to go, but there isn't much we can do about it. I won't let this game ruin Silent Hill for me.
Watchdog
Historical Society Historian

Post by Watchdog »

Why are people so pessimistic about it all?

The series is getting tired as is. You all did nothing but moan about Silent Hill 4. And I've yet to see anybody bang on about how revolutionary and series-reviving Origins is. Face it - the Silent Hill team are losing their touch.

A whole new development team with their own perspectives and interpretations of Silent Hill could be just what the series needs to jump-start it a little. So instead of bitching about how not-exactly-like-the-others Silent Hill 5 is going to be, why not just have a little faith that it will be good? Enter into it with an open mind? They haven't even finished making it yet, for Christ's sake!
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Post by Breaka »

Hate to do it but,
Amy wrote:Please do not come into this thread only to say "I wish everyone would stop hating on this game". If you're going to "hate" this is the place to do so!