Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

For all we know the Nurse-Toilet scene might not even make it to the actual game

it could just be a tech demo ;)
rusted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by rusted »

2 The close connection/resemblence to the "Silent Hill Movie"
there's no going to be a connection with the movie (well, just the nurses i hope) but is a new story (wich i really, really hope a good twist bc looks kinda lame... :| )
[img]http://static.flickr.com/87/217061285_729e113c4a_o.jpg[/img]

English is not my first language so stop bothering me, i will try my best.
Glazarus
Historical Society Historian

Post by Glazarus »

rusted wrote:
there's no going to be a connection with the movie (well, just the nurses i hope) but is a new story (wich i really, really hope a good twist bc looks kinda lame... :| )
I'm not talking about the story, I'm talking about art direction, which in Silent Hill 5 sucks.
Doesn't matter if graphics is getting better or if story is good, having a scene that is exactly like in the movie (the toilet scene) is only a sign of commercializing the franchise. Doing scenes and having design that is EXACTLY like in the movie is ONLY to keep the game broad and not caring for the art that Silent Hill is supposed to be. The other games are original to eachother and to the rest of the world of games.
This is a sign of crappy art direction were the art director and director is to focused on getting cool effects without the brilliant originality that teamsilent had.

I've seen this too many times in the filmindustry, so I do not have grat hopes for this game.
There is a good chance that this will become crap and more bashed then Silent Hill 4.
Be warned and read carefully...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

Glazarus wrote:
rusted wrote:
I'm not talking about the story, I'm talking about art direction, which in Silent Hill 5 sucks.
Doesn't matter if graphics is getting better or if story is good, having a scene that is exactly like in the movie (the toilet scene) is only a sign of commercializing the franchise. Doing scenes and having design that is EXACTLY like in the movie is ONLY to keep the game broad and not caring for the art that Silent Hill is supposed to be. The other games are original to eachother and to the rest of the world of games.
I completely agree with this. But it's not just the toilet scene; it's the whole design of the Otherworld being identical to SH1 and 3 which annoys me. That Otherworld is born out of Alessa's nightmare and ONLY Alessa's nightmare (hence why SH2 and 4 have different Otherworlds). The fact the new game is just copying the design style from the original game (which is of course where the movie got it from) just seems to be to be lazy and dull and is a real shame.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Just to kind of expand on what that cocky developer guy said in the interview about how they intend to play it safe by including every single cliche in the book, like little kids leaving crayon drawings, nurses.. ect.. And that if it had gone in a different way the fans would have been really angry.

I totally disagree. But what really bugs me is how he then uses SH4 as an example.

Thing about SH4 is, whilst it was far from great, its saving grace was all the new shit they tried, like interactive scratchy effects, the FPS stuff like the spy hole in the door, the peep hole in the wall, the view out of the window ect.. That was, in my opinon, anyway, the best tihng about SH4. It's the first time Silent Hill has let you do something different to break up all the usual RE1 style gameplay, whilst at the same time adding to the atmosphere.

I think (and feel free to disagree), that far from being angry, the fans would actually perfer for it to go a "different way, rather than it just slip back to being a very empty and generic experience.

My other gripe is that the main character. I duuno but, he looks like if he ever had a war flashback, it would go a little somthing like this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9yxrSt_6o
ZombieLADY
Just Passing Through

Post by ZombieLADY »

All i can think of is Siam.
I'm a little worried about him/her, lol.

And the fact that there are American developers. I mean, I want to give them a chance! I really do. But, I just hope they see SH the way the japanese developers did.
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/RazzyRabit/SHavatars.gif[/img]
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

You should actually watch the interview-videos of the developing team, you know.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
ZombieLADY
Just Passing Through

Post by ZombieLADY »

I have, but I'm still skeptical.

I'm only saying that I don't want SH to lose it's feel. American developers haven't worked on past games, they're working with a brand new system, better graphics, better controls, etc. That's hard to do with all the old-school SH fans to please, and still be SILENT HILL, you know? ^^ It's natural to scared about it. And besides, There's still not enough info to tell for sure.
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/RazzyRabit/SHavatars.gif[/img]
swedish
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by swedish »

Breaka wrote:Just to kind of expand on what that cocky developer guy said in the interview about how they intend to play it safe by including every single cliche in the book, like little kids leaving crayon drawings, nurses.. ect.. And that if it had gone in a different way the fans would have been really angry.

I totally disagree. But what really bugs me is how he then uses SH4 as an example.

Thing about SH4 is, whilst it was far from great, its saving grace was all the new shit they tried, like interactive scratchy effects, the FPS stuff like the spy hole in the door, the peep hole in the wall, the view out of the window ect.. That was, in my opinon, anyway, the best tihng about SH4. It's the first time Silent Hill has let you do something different to break up all the usual RE1 style gameplay, whilst at the same time adding to the atmosphere.

I think (and feel free to disagree), that far from being angry, the fans would actually perfer for it to go a "different way, rather than it just slip back to being a very empty and generic experience.
Same here. I hope that the new developers take initiative to bring new things to the Silent Hill franchise; it's a double edged sword though, because fans will be angry either way for not staying true to the series or not introducing enough original content on their own.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6124/maiwaifuit1.jpg[/img][/url]
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Yeah I would hope that a good developer could do both original and in context. But we shall see.

One another note I don't like the name 'Silent Hill V'. I much perfer titles like 'Silent Hill : Restless Dreams', 'Silent Hill : The Room' 'Silent Hill : Origins' or 'Letter From Silent Hill', rather that boring SH1 SH2 ect...

It aint Rambo after all...

I hope. :wink:
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
theshaman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by theshaman »

yea I think evryone is sayin the same thing about the movie. I think they are lookin at the movie far to much while making the game from what I have seen from all the clips, I think SH might loose the really creepy phycologically freeky aspect to it aswell, theres no way they'll be able to do the same as the japanese did,
there are things known and unknown, in between is silent hill
corpsegrindr
Just Passing Through

SHV

Post by corpsegrindr »

emehlen wrote:The only thing I dont like about SHV is that it is an American developer... they dont understand Japanese psychological horror, if they do then it will still be Americans trying to mimic the real deal. Team Silent should be working on this. They made the damn series what it is! It should be the same people who made SH2... even down to the same damn janitor! I want the feel of SH2 to come back.

Also, I guess I'd agree with others about the likeness with the movie... we saw it already, it sucked, and we want originality.
Silent Hill is a truly epic fantisy that does not need to be destroyed by North American developers. The soundtracks/effects better be good or ill be heartbroken. The theme and setting better be good too. I LIKE the abandoned apartments. I LIKE to walk around in dark hallways and broken down buildings. I want grime coming down from the ceiling. pudles on the floor. URBAN DECAY + monsters is a good combo. Alot of those can be seen in all of the previouse Silent Hill games. Will they make this game a dark, grimy, broken down, spooky freakin game?
("psychological japanese horror") or will it be a clean cut, main stream peice of garbage? P.S the movie was complete wasted garbage.
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

wiat to dismiss the American developers intul you play origins they truly proved that they can make a silent hill game that is just as good as the originals.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
Daddyuwarbash
Just Passing Through

Post by Daddyuwarbash »

So far i'm not really sure about the real-time changes and the almost-identical look to the movie. It kinda gives an impression that the Americans just said, "Ok, lets make this look and feel like the movie, since the fans liked it! And lets use cliche's, since the fans like those! And let's put nurses in this game, since every game has the nurses in them and silent hill just won't be the same without them! Man, we're gonna please the fans so much!"

But who knows, the game isn't even out yet.
theshaman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by theshaman »

versatile soup spoon wrote:wiat to dismiss the American developers intul you play origins they truly proved that they can make a silent hill game that is just as good as the originals.
we'll be the judge of that ;) hopefully it will be as good as the originals , I just cant see them toping them off
there are things known and unknown, in between is silent hill
demollyon
Just Passing Through

Post by demollyon »

Well, from what I've seen so much, there's too much light. I hope they reduce it.
There was a sig here. It's gone now.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

As long as this game can scare the shit out of me like the first time I played through SH2, 3, & 4 I'll be happy. I think the most important thing for the developer to remember is to not get stuck up on combat or copying past Ideas to "be safe." They need to take chances, make the game feel like SH, but incoporate new things into the gameplay that will be Unexpected. Keep the older fans on their toes. Don't make a game that literally copies older games just with a new skin (next gen graphics). Key word for a successful SH game: UNEXPECTED.

My biggest fear is that shit in the game will be predictable. SH4's strength was that it took a chance, tried to do something new. In my opinion it is ok to use successful themes from the past, obviously, but don't over do it. The collective needs to search the deepest most disturbing corners of their own minds for inspiration, instead of only looking at already existing influences.

It's to early to know for sure though, I like how origins turned out, and it had me kinda worried early in development. I hope the collective proves to have plenty of dark and twisted new ideas for the sake of the fans. Also more suspense, less action.
Radical Dreamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Radical Dreamer »

I don't know if this is really a con or not, but it bugs me none the less.

I'm surprised I never noticed it, but as I was watching one of the preview videos today, I realized that the basic movement and some of the actions are lifted straight out of RE4. The constant over the shoulder view and the leaping over the ledge for example. While it may not end up being a bad thing, the idea that there might not be any more cool perspective shots (Heather and the upturned wheelchair, for example) disappoints me. :(
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

According to this: http://www.destructoid.com/new-details- ... 6622.phtml
SH5 will have quick time events, RE4/God of War/Dino Crisis/Shenmue/etc style. This greatly depresses me. Not only because button pressing minigame events jar to an obscene amount with immersion, atmosphere, and the adventure-style focus most SH's take, but that it's an old, borrowed concept used by dozens of other games. It suggests a lack of creativity and originality in the collective's part to me. :(
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

I am so angry I cant even put it into words. All I can say is hopefully they dont overdue it. Or maybe the game will be so great that we can over look its horrible gameplay faults. Or who knows maybe it will be done well and it will truly add to the scare factor of this silent hill games. I really dont know what to think of this.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.