Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Jan 2021

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jul 2010
Notes left: 106
Last seen at: Flatpoint High
Catch22 wrote:
Heh, thanks, I appreciate it. And for the sake of the thread and as a sign of good faith, I'll add a con of my own...

Alex's teeth.

The #1 distraction in that game. I felt that all of the teeth were too ... weird/white/obvious. :shock:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jul 2010
Notes left: 35
Last seen at: Out There
Maybe he was just so angry all the time. Like a dog when they get angry ha.

I'm so glad you said that. How about the fact that Judge Holloway looked 33 but shes actually in her 50's? I hope I age like that.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill 5: Cons (What you don't like)

Missing since: 24 Apr 2004
Notes left: 313
Maybe I set my standards for Silent Hill too high, because Homecomming was unbearable.
We all know about the similarities to the movie, so I won't go there.
But here are a few things I hate about this game:
1) over the shoulder view, typical of first person shooter.
2) missing the strange but intreagueing camera angles of previous Silent Hills.
3) unappealing characters. I just couldn't connect or care for them.
4) dialogue, this one's tricky to explain, but the previous silent hills had a certain way with dialogue that always touched on the situation in their own unique way (Marie: I'm not your mary. Or Do I look like a ghost? or I'm real), those kinds of things make you play the game twice, and then you actually get the meaning behind them. (Silent Hill 3, When Heather talks to her dad, you have no idea until later on).
5) I think Silent HIll 4 gave it a better shot with the monster that 5. They created Ghosts, though annoying, hey were actually quiet creepy. My other favorites were the human figures from 2, the closers from 3, Manniquins that kind of thing. they were all within the realm of what someone might reimagine a human as.
6) enemies blend in with the darkness in previous titles (there is a name for this, but I don't know what it is), but in SH you could see them without the flashlight on at some distance. took something of a fear factor away.
7) Weak puzzles.
8) transitions from one scene to another were weird. There was nothing gradual about the on-going atmospher change (no, i'm not refering to the otherworld transition) I mean one minute your in town, then your in a hotel, then you're in town, then your in a church... I might be a bit picky at this one, but in writing fiction a big sign of bad narration is the inability to evolve into the next scene (the only rule to this is a switch in narration). The previous silent hills, especeally silent hill 2 in my opinion, had a very lucid intoduction to the new area. You know you were going there, and they didn't break the feel as much as they gradually altered it.
10) As with 4, there's no point. I'll try not to put a spoiler here, but for those of you who beat the game numerous times, what's the point? I liked having that very centralized feeling and close connection to silent hill. 2 edged on this with me, but it didn't jump overboard for some reason I still can't explain.
11) It felt short. Go here. do this. go here. do this. go this. do here. Game finished. I don't care much about getting items from replay value, I look for replay value in the story, and with Homecomming when you breat it that was it. There didn't seem to be anything new to uncover. No hidden message.
12) Overall lack of creativity. Everything we saw in 5 we have seen before. with the exeption of some bosses, we have seen in other games or in the movie. While they did manage to come up with a few new things, it just didn't outweigh the stuff we're used to.
13) The Pyramid Head, which seems to have become an Icon in Silent Hill, was not scary, or particularly interesting. It was positioned in the peripheral of the story, and for me, generally unentertaining. I think many would have appreciated it if the Ph was left out all together.
14) The fan-service. I won't go into detail, it should be obvious.
15) Alex Shepherds story seemed to be the least interesting of the people around him. His mother, catatonic, the mayor, drunk and digging graves. those things would have made for interesting stories. But Alex is the only one we understand. Honeslty, they would have done better if they told alex's story by making you play as the people around him instead of the actual protagonist.

There is one or two things I liked about the game: The Siam, that's a monster worthy of Silent Hill in my mind, though it was presented a little too well, and quickly became unscary. there are a few others, but they are small, minor details.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 8073
Quote:
It felt short. Go here. do this. go here. do this. go this. do here. Game finished.

Silent Hill 3 was pretty much the same thing, you know.

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Well, all of them do: Homecoming's just more obvious about it, what with the Objectives toggle of the map screen. SH1, meanwhile, was more creative between Harry's map scribbles and notes like "To School."

Minor nitpick: Over-the-shoulder views are never seen in first-person shooters.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 24 Apr 2004
Notes left: 313
Kenji wrote:
Well, all of them do: Homecoming's just more obvious about it, what with the Objectives toggle of the map screen. SH1, meanwhile, was more creative between Harry's map scribbles and notes like "To School."

yeah, I screwed that one up, but they are promenent in shooters. that's what I was trying to say.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 22 Apr 2010
Notes left: 328
Last seen at: Minnesota, US
I will agree on two things here. The puzzles were quite weak. I solved the last puzzle by randomly turning the rings a couple times, and that was it. The slider puzzles should go rot in hell though. I've always hated those damn things.

I'll also agree that the Siams are awesome. They're my favorite creatures from this game, and I don't understand why everyone loves the Schisms so much. I think those things are truly silly looking. So to be relevant to the topic, I don't like the Schisms.

Just Passing Through

EmilietheStrange wrote:
I will agree on two things here. The puzzles were quite weak. I solved the last puzzle by randomly turning the rings a couple times, and that was it. The slider puzzles should go rot in hell though. I've always hated those damn things.

I'll also agree that the Siams are awesome. They're my favorite creatures from this game, and I don't understand why everyone loves the Schisms so much. I think those things are truly silly looking. So to be relevant to the topic, I don't like the Schisms.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 08 Aug 2010
Notes left: 362
I think that the otherworld was kind of weak in appearance, also Pyramid Head. What a joke. I wish they had just kept him in in Silent Hill 2. I personally think that him being in Homecoming was just fan service. One last thing -> the fact that Alex doesn't shoot Josh's legs whenever he runs away.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 08 Jan 2009
Notes left: 1085
Last seen at: Greece
Uyrikeustek wrote:
the fact that Alex doesn't shoot Josh's legs whenever he runs away.
:lol: I would so do that if I were him!

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 10 Jun 2009
Notes left: 62
Last seen at: away from controler
besides unoriginalit in the design of the characters and monsters, (it may just be my disk, but i cant see any scratches) there seems to be a few fatal glitches and annoyances. such as the famous invisable alex, alex without his hand in the dream, the dissappearing plates in the church, and, it may just be my game, right when holloway starts drilling and your life bar appears in teh black, it completely freezes. if the last one happened to anyone else please tell me.

Quote:

im sure they meant to say 3rd person

i also agree with DeSilva about the scene transitions, i think they could have at least made it to where you chase josh to the church.

Please use the edit button instead of triple posting. Thanks - Amy

Subway Guard

Missing since: 22 Aug 2010
Notes left: 1587
I understand the complaint in having bad transitions between levels, and the person who said that 3 had the same problem was sort of right. I thought that the transition from the mall to subway to sewer to construction to hilltop was good. What I really hated was that the Amusment Park wasn't harder to get to. There should have been something between there, some sort of objective, maybe a whole level or two.

My least favorite thing about Homecoming actually is the way you pass out and arrive in Silent Hill. I feel like you should have had to go there yourself. Sorry if I've already said this, but it's a big complaint for me and fits in with the topic.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 13 Aug 2006
Notes left: 588
Last seen at: I can't remember.
The fact that you can get the UFO ending on your first try. Easily the most anti-climactic thing I have ever experienced in a game :roll: But to be fair the other endings aren't really that special anyway, even the Good ending was weaksauce.

Just Passing Through

Fevered Dream wrote:
The fact that you can get the UFO ending on your first try. Easily the most anti-climactic thing I have ever experienced in a game :roll: But to be fair the other endings aren't really that special anyway, even the Good ending was weaksauce.

I thought they were far too short, and didn't really resolve anything/leave anything to question. They were just endings that fell flat. No cliffhangers like Silent Hill 2, etc. And the UFO ending was far from amusing. I loved the UFO ending in Shattered Memories.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 12 Sep 2010
Notes left: 41
I pretty much disliked the entire game. Only thing I liked was the fighting system and killing monsters which deep in my fantasy world, were the creators of the game.

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
A lot of the unoriginality and the Hollywood-like scares. Nothing was very gradual or scary in the game, and there were some "pop outs" that were just...lame and cheap, though they did make me jump. This game didn't have any of the lurking fear of what's going to happen next, or what's behind the door, that the other Silent Hill's (and Fatal Frames, and other Survival Horrors) have. It was just..messy. I consider this one, and Origins, typical fan fiction that have been brought to the big screen.

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3855
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
^Well said.

Just Passing Through

SPRINGS02 wrote:
^Well said.

He basically just re-hashed everything that has already been said about this game. Not that it isn't true.

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
Everybody's said it before me. I've never visited this thread before, in the two years that I've been here. And you cant just say that I just "rehashed" all the posts before me. Basically DeSilva, Catch22, etc., have "rehashed". Is that true? No.

Do you want me to edit my post so it's not a rehash, maybe so it's a page or two long?

Just Passing Through

simeonalo wrote:
Everybody's said it before me. I've never visited this thread before, in the two years that I've been here. And you cant just say that I just "rehashed" all the posts before me. Basically DeSilva, Catch22, etc., have "rehashed". Is that true? No.

Do you want me to edit my post so it's not a rehash, maybe so it's a page or two long?

No, I'm just saying that there isn't anymore anyone really can say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next