Silent Hill and achievements and the 360

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Iamthebastard
Just Passing Through

Post by Iamthebastard »

I think the 360 is going to do wonders.

Sand is overrated...It's just tiny little rocks.
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

Skele wrote: i have TOS, i just havent beaten it yet. hopefully i will one day. i made the mistake of buying that game at the same time i bought like 2-3 others. it kind of got pushed to the side and i havent gone back since. good battle system. maybe i'll pick it up and play again this weekend.
Yea, you should. (play it again)

There was also an anime made after it. Havent seen it though, too lazy to find it.

not to go too much off topic:

As long as there isnt an incredible amount of pointless achivem. then It wont be too bad.
[img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5484/sethsunderlandnewdigjr5.jpg[/img]
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

Likely achievements.

1. Easy Completion 150GP
2. Medium Completion 150GP
3. Hard Completion 150GP
4. Marothon Runner award.(Speedy completion) 30GP
5. Blunt Force Brute(Only used melee weapons) 30GP
6. Detective Extrordinaire Award(Collected all notes) 100GP
7. Fatalist Award(Living in the red status) 50GP
8. Survivalist Medium+(Completion without dying) 100GP
9. Backpacker Award (Collected every item) 100GP
10. Test Subject (Obtained UFO ending) 40GP
11. Genicidal Warrior (Killed over 300 enemies) 50GP
12. Alex The Kid (Fired Over 500 bullets) 50GP

This would be my best guess.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

>emptimass

Thats a great list. =P
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

I may have to go to the dark side and buy a 360 to SHV, since I really cannot justify the cost of a PS3, and do not want to wait as long as I did to buy a PS2....
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

I never was an XBOX fan. I stayed true to the PS and Nintendo for years. I avoided the 360 like the plague. One day for my efforts I recieved a 10,000 bonus from work and there I stood in Gamestop, looking up at the 360. I gave in and said," Why the hell not?" After playing a few games, and getting used to the rewards for my efforts through Achievements I began to really like the 360. I hated to admit it at first but then slowly came around.

It is a wonderful system. I am happy as hell that SHV is coming out on the 360 and cannot wait to experience SHV on it.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

1. Easy Completion 150GP
2. Medium Completion 150GP
3. Hard Completion 150GP
4. Marothon Runner award.(Speedy completion) 30GP
5. Blunt Force Brute(Only used melee weapons) 30GP
6. Detective Extrordinaire Award(Collected all notes) 100GP
7. Fatalist Award(Living in the red status) 50GP
8. Survivalist Medium+(Completion without dying) 100GP
9. Backpacker Award (Collected every item) 100GP
10. Test Subject (Obtained UFO ending) 40GP
11. Genicidal Warrior (Killed over 300 enemies) 50GP
12. Alex The Kid (Fired Over 500 bullets) 50GP
since there is going to be real wounds on the monsters I wouldnt be suprised if there is a decpitation achievement or an eye gouging achievement or a limb severed achievment. Or a spoon in the eye achievment. I could go on all day.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

I remember I avoided the original Xbox at all costs because of the whole "Microsoft" stigma (and yes, I still hate Micro$oft). However, when Knights of the Old Republic came out (and when I got my Income Tax check back), I decided it was time to buy one-- after all, I already owned a PS2 and Gamecube. I ended up getting Halo and KOTOR. After that, most cross-platform games that I bought were Xbox. Sure, I couldn't use a Gameshark on them when I wanted to tweak something after beating a game, but it was ok. I was stoked about not having to buy memory cards or worry about storage space.

When the next gen systems came out, I went right for the 360. The PS3 was just too expensive and as a hardcore gamer, the Wii is just too casual for me. I may end up getting it at one point, but right now, the 360 is the best system out there for the hardcore gamer.

As for Achievements, the list above has some nice guesses. I've never been really a huge Achievement whore myself, due to the fact that out of all my friends, I'm the only real gamer, so I have no one to prove anything to. :P
I'm offended by political correctness.
-bitMAN-
Just Passing Through

No archiebements? I don't mind...

Post by -bitMAN- »

I actually don't care anymore if Silent Hill V came out with or without achievements. The reason? I got my Xbox 360 jacked from a parking lot on December 30th...

Obviously the people from the Mall make themselves responsible and I got the full price of a brand new Xbox 360 Elite on a check weeks later :twisted:.

With that money I’m planning on getting a PlayStation 3 tomorrow in Mexico City (because is the only place where you can find it at it’s normal US price and not at the $800 dollars that it cost anywhere else in the country)

And since there are no achievements on Sony’s console… well, I prefer to know how well I did at the very end of the game like in past titles; although I agree that achievements make you enjoy more the game in some sort :(
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Re: No archiebements? I don't mind...

Post by Scyron »

-bitMAN- wrote:I actually don't care anymore if Silent Hill V came out with or without achievements. The reason? I got my Xbox 360 jacked from a parking lot on December 30th...

Obviously the people from the Mall make themselves responsible and I got the full price of a brand new Xbox 360 Elite on a check weeks later :twisted:.

With that money I’m planning on getting a PlayStation 3 tomorrow in Mexico City (because is the only place where you can find it at it’s normal US price and not at the $800 dollars that it cost anywhere else in the country)

And since there are no achievements on Sony’s console… well, I prefer to know how well I did at the very end of the game like in past titles; although I agree that achievements make you enjoy more the game in some sort :(
drake's fortune had rewards--medals for doing tasks. a kin to a achievement. I feel it is a real gimmick and um well lazy stealing the exact idea from the competitor. What next ps3's dying, in game music or in game messaging?
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2263/scyronah6.gif[/img]
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

I don't care about achievements really, I play games to play them and for the graphics, story etc. I guess it's cool for those who like speedruns and statboards and such... but m'eh...

Besides with Sony launching HOME for PS3, there will be some cool stuff like Trophies and wallpapers and things for your avatar etc. and that sounds way cooler to me so I hope the PS3 SHV includes stuff like that! Also Sony seems to be planning it's own achievements thing too, so by the time this game is out achievement things should be feasible on both systems...
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

^

Well thats kinda sad, seeing that they also copied the dashboard idea.... with the PS button.

I hope they dont try to replicate the 360 only with better graphics.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

The poor PS3 has been having so many sales problems, I'm not surprised they're taking a few ideas from Microsoft. I personally won't buy one for several years as many developers seem to be making games for both systems now due to PS3's extremely small user base over here in the states compared to 360.

I'm sure a lot of the Achievements will involve things like time beaten, melee kills, long range kills, etc. Should be interesting.
I'm offended by political correctness.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

The only reason im considering buying a PS3 earlier than i expected (i wanted to get one 2 yrs from now) is because my PS2 is on it's last leg. i have to smack it a couple of times for it to play a game, and some games will just not work at all. i dont really care for achievements in a SH game. however, having them would be interesting. so now, when you go for that speedrun or those melee kills, you'll get a little recognition for it.

im definitely getting this for the 360, but if the game is great, i'll get it for the PS3 as well (at some point).
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

I thinks its better to bring back the accolades from 0rigins. It was better than the ranking system.

The idea of putting them Online would mean that you have the Ranking system also (I don't know if PS3 has this).
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Certain PS3 games have online leaderboards adn ranking like Lair and Warhawk, it's game specific if the developer puts in in there... Other games like uncharted have their own accolades and achievements in them and these will also be compatabile with Home when it's released.

As for PS3 sales, it's in last place for sure though with the large boost in blu-ray sales and it emerging as the victor in the format war, sales will definately be going up and it looks to have more than the 360 did in it's comparative 1 year period on the market so it's going along well. Also the PS3 continues to sell more than the 360 in Europe and especially Japan. Also there are rumors of a price cut coming later this month, no doubt the blu-ray victories will bring down manufacturing costs and they'll want to move aggressively on selling it to the public. So PS3 will be even more affordable. Also there will always be exclusive games on either console, so ideally it's good to have both if you're interested in any 1st/2nd party titles or exclusives from 3rd parties.

Back on topic, one thing I hope for is that achievement pop-ups are turned off by default in Sh5, because having those randomly come up on screen can be annoying and take me out of the immersion...
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

I'm not sure about putting rankings online would suit the style of the game. Of course, since you say that most video games do have this system, then I guess the producers can give it a try.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Online rankings are more for multiplayer stuff really, unless someone wants one for things like speedruns, but I think it's unnecessary in Silent Hill. I don't think much of achievements either, though unlockable stuff for gameplay or features and images is always cool.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

to be honest. this may be the only game where i'd actually try and get a top ranking in. it's definitely the first of all my 360 games that i plan to get all the achievements in. im looking forward to what type of achievements they'll have, but i'm not getting my hopes up for anything special.
Devilsknight
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Devilsknight »

Achievements ? O_^ What kind of cheapass fillout is that, the game should be like the previous onse with some bonuses when completing it once. Achivements is IMO for people that buy 1 game / year and can be pretty boring.

Create achivements of your own instead, like killing Ganon with the Iron Boots / Bottle etc in OOT ^^.

I dont know, achivements sound to much actionbased to be in a SH game. I like the games as clean as possible, specially SH, like watching a movie.

And about the games length, quality before quantity.
When I grow up I want to be Mockingbird.