----------

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I certainly hope so. Someone else mentioned the Abortion that is RE4.The game as a game is excellent. It has all the elements of a good "game". But it lacked that resident evil feel. Gone was the idea of ammo conservation and really difficult puzzles. It had become an action adventure sci-fi thriller with some mediocre puzzles thrown in. It was a fan game in many respects. After all, Leon was just another familiar face to reuse. RE: Outbreak had a much more RE feel to it.

The over the shoulder camera was a decent idea, but I think they went with it and decided that since they added it, it needs AMPLE use!!! I just hope SH doesn't make the same kinds of sacrifices in ambiance and atmosphere to net a few extra players with the "KILL EVERYTHING IN SIGHT WITH UR UBERPOWERFUL GUNZ!!" motif. After all, this is Silent Hill, not Halo. It really is a huge fear I have for these games, going into the future. The game has even made this idea seem more plausible by giving you a soldier, instead of the typical everyman. In theory alone, this opens the door for him to be a badass instead of the town's bitch, like every other protagonist.

I'll be the first to tell you that change can be good. but certain things need to be done to ensure the atmosphere, and making your main character a badass isn't one of those things.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

Post by Reciever_Of_Wisdom »

Agreeing with RE4 being overly TO THE MAX, and less moody.

The problem with developers appealing to fans is just that; you get a fan game. It's not another amazing installment, its pandering to the general fan, putting in all the things that made us squeal before without any of the ties that bind, or banked emotion.

And I'm not going to rag on SH5 for it's new developer because its a change in format, I'll rag because the developer has shown a tendency to suck.
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Heres what annoys me: I think they've forgotten who the real enemy in the previous games is... The town. In one of the earlier videos released it shows Alex approach a road that has crumbled away which in the previous games indicated that the town was leading you somewhere. But Alex being such a action man/QTE seasoned veteran he sees the crumbled road goes down a near by alley and proceeds to climb through the normally impassable trench.... bollox. I know this is a small thing but I loved the feeling that you were just being toyed with by some over watching evil and I would go as far as saying it was one of the scarier aspects of the games.

Another thing is the grave yard looks like the graveyard off of the mediocre PSX game Nightmare creatures and come to think of it so do the monsters. the dogs have gone from slender faceless (well normally have no eyes or have their faces covered) scary things to lazily designed meaty o'l zombie dogs and the nursed just kinda skip up to Alex and start swinging at him... wheres the tension? wheres the anticipation? if the enemies just run at you like that of a Serious sam game it looses atmosphere. Like in Silent hill 1 watching the slow hunched over nurses trudge out of the darkness or the mannequins on SH2 that stayed still until in your immediate presents all of which is loss of bladder control inducing good enemy design and said design seems to have gone on holiday somewhere.

I could go on to question why Silent hill has gone from "Silent hill population: you and an uncountable amount of your personified inner demons" to "Silent hill population: you and the entire cast of lost" but I wont bore you any more this post has gone on too long and I'm too angry to speak.
Last edited by syntheticlung on 10 Jun 2008, edited 3 times in total.
Georgeo-0
Just Passing Through

Post by Georgeo-0 »

^
Oh i don't lknow about that. Some of the monster design in this one I thought looked great. My personal fav was-
Also some of the videos with the nurses showed very intuitive AI in terms of them noticing how you affected the enviroment, they seemed more sensitive to light and sound now, and i think thats cool because i was the kind of player who ran and hid in the shadows most of the previous games.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

But don't you think the motion/animation of the nurses walking just doesn't look scary it looks... actiony like it belongs in a different game. I'm not talking about how they react to their surroundings just how they approach Alex and the movement. That monster is one of the better ones but it still looks a bit extreme they need to loose the oversized mouth and the jagged teeth. maybe smooth the whole mouth over all together. I liked it when most of the monsters in silent hill were faceless or had something obstructing your view of their face
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

syntheticlung wrote:But don't you think the motion/animation of the nurses walking just doesn't look scary it looks... actiony like it belongs in a different game. I'm not talking about how they react to their surroundings just how they approach Alex and the movement. That monster is one of the better ones but it still looks a bit extreme they need to loose the oversized mouth and the jagged teeth. maybe smooth the whole mouth over all together. I liked it when most of the monsters in silent hill were faceless or had something obstructing your view of their face
i don't know. i can see where you're coming from with that, but.... well, take the Locaine Twins (victims 7 & 8 ) from SH4. i thought a huge part of what made that creature disturbing was the twins' eerily detailed and realistic looking faces. so... i don't think that every monster needs a smoothed out, blank looking face. when i see a creature design with a blank or obscured face, i usually perceive that as symbolism of some sort.

and honestly, the way the nurses move looks great to me. i don't know about you, but if i was in a desolate, deserted hospital all alone and something came creeping out of the shadows twitching and convulsing like that, i'd shit a cinder-block.

to be honest, the nurses in SH1 looked kinda hilarious to me when they moved, but in the context of the game and the environment i was sucked into while playing it, they still scared the hell out of me at the time.

anyways... i think it's about time they bring the doctors back. that's be interesting.
Jamar
Just Passing Through

Post by Jamar »

syntheticlung wrote:But don't you think the motion/animation of the nurses walking just doesn't look scary it looks... actiony like it belongs in a different game. I'm not talking about how they react to their surroundings just how they approach Alex and the movement. That monster is one of the better ones but it still looks a bit extreme they need to loose the oversized mouth and the jagged teeth. maybe smooth the whole mouth over all together. I liked it when most of the monsters in silent hill were faceless or had something obstructing your view of their face
I always found the appearance of a nurse out of the dark, the sound of her coming, along with the radio static the scariest thing... not the actual nurse herself. The sense of foreboding danger was the greater horror. So in as much as that, I don't think development of the appearance of the monsters is such a bad thing
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s264/jamar7576/Signatures/heaven1.jpg[/img]
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

It was just an idea to make the mouth look a bit less extreme. But what you were saying about the twins even the faces of the twins look like masks how they don't ever move even when they whisper to each other. Even the faces of the victims didn't ever really look at you their heads just hung lifeless so they just looked at the floor like the nurses in the first game like they were being carried or guided by some unseen evil. I dunno I just think normally to many facial features gives away too much like facial features are what let us determine other peoples moods and when removed or obstructed it kind of makes the monster like a... shell... Also If I was in a abandoned hospital and a twitching nurse charged at me I'd be freaked out. In fact if goddamned crash bandicoot jumped out at me I'd shit myself but I'm not in a hospital I'm at home playing a game and it's pretty run of the mill to have your psychotic enemy charge at you with great speed but normally in the previous SH games the fighting enemies has a bit of anticipation and it makes it different from your Resident Evils and Dooms
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

I'm rethinking what I said about the new monster design, that screen Georgeo-O posted is pretty awesome.

Also, I don't like the idea of the nurses being distracted by light. In the previous installments, the enemies came off as soulless, demonic executioners that wanted to find and mutilated you for no reason. Now, however (along with the enemies in SH3 that could be distracted with jerky), they seem like animals defending their territory, which is lost on me, personally.
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

Reciever_Of_Wisdom wrote:I'm rethinking what I said about the new monster design, that screen Georgeo-O posted is pretty awesome.

Also, I don't like the idea of the nurses being distracted by light. In the previous installments, the enemies came off as soulless, demonic executioners that wanted to find and mutilated you for no reason. Now, however (along with the enemies in SH3 that could be distracted with jerky), they seem like animals defending their territory, which is lost on me, personally.
in SH1, the only way i could get by in hard mode was to keep my flashlight off most of the time. the creatures have always been sensitive to light, just not in a way so realiatic.

air screamers and night flutters from SH1 travel in packs of five. also, in the shopping mall you can see twin-feelers feasting upon the corpse of some unfortunate victim.

it seems like many of the creatures in Silent Hill have always adopted a sort of instinct-driven self awareness. i believe they just weren't able to give them the AI they can now.
Georgeo-0
Just Passing Through

Post by Georgeo-0 »

^
Also the sensitiveness to sound now is only really possibly because of next gen physics applications. Sure they heard your footsteps and radio befor, but now you have to worry about bumbing into things.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Thats all cool but WHAT ABOUT ENEMY ANIMATION!!!!
watch this I know its an old vid but it shows what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Ha8f4wI4I

I think it looks and feels like a SH game until the for some reason brightly colored nurses start moving
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

SH1 did have its moments with enemy AI, but 2 and 4 did it the best, I believe. It's probably because SH2 has a large cast of humanoid enemies that had their own quirks and personalities, and SH4 had the creepy factor down, with the dread of the ghosts popping out of wherever, and even the Twin Victims starring at you and pointing. SH1 and 3 always made me feel like I was just smacking around deformed animals. Although, 3 had the best nurses, who would just beeline it to you with their heads down like it was business as usual (then wail on you with a lead pipe).

In syntheticlung's video, though; it's just jerky and weird. Like their's a glitch in the nurse's movement or something. Way too "stop n' go." Almost robotic.
Georgeo-0
Just Passing Through

Post by Georgeo-0 »

Reciever_Of_Wisdom wrote:SH1 did have its moments with enemy AI, but 2 and 4 did it the best, I believe. It's probably because SH2 has a large cast of humanoid enemies that had their own quirks and personalities, and SH4 had the creepy factor down, with the dread of the ghosts popping out of wherever, and even the Twin Victims starring at you and pointing. SH1 and 3 always made me feel like I was just smacking around deformed animals. Although, 3 had the best nurses, who would just beeline it to you with their heads down like it was business as usual (then wail on you with a lead pipe).

In syntheticlung's video, though; it's just jerky and weird. Like their's a glitch in the nurse's movement or something. Way too "stop n' go." Almost robotic.
Have you never seen the movie? As shitty as it was thats obviously where they got the inspiration for the nurses movments in the game. I dont mind it, its very stop and go, but also very sexual. It certainly doesent look like a glitch from what ive seen so far in the series. I thought it looked interesting. If anything I found the ghost in Sh 4 much more annoying than what im seeing from these nurses. Im honestly not the kind of person who plays games and expects to be scared, all i saw were some stiff figures floating around after me. And it was fucking annoying. Back to the nurses though, they dont move to fast or to slow, its seems fine to me, as long as the game gives me a reasonable explaination as to why the nurses are back, and why they move like that, i really dont care.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Well from what I've seen, Alex is being brought into a hospital at the beginning of the game.. So obviously that is why the Nurses are there possibly. I mean Hospitals do have nurses afterall.. and in Silent Hill that's probably how they manifest themselves.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

I was hoping this was obvious, but I hated the movie with vigor (as a SH movie; as a horror movie, it was decent enough).

I don't like the jerky movement, or would like to see it improved. What I saw in the demo, I thought the video had loaded wrong, or my connection was failing; if they could make it look more natural, I'd be on board. I happen to love the fear aspect of the series, and would like to see it preserved a little better.

But you're right, the ghosts were annoying.

Also, is that red blur on the left supposed to be a life bar? And if so, is it necessary?
Georgeo-0
Just Passing Through

Post by Georgeo-0 »

Reciever_Of_Wisdom wrote:I was hoping this was obvious, but I hated the movie with vigor (as a SH movie; as a horror movie, it was decent enough).

I don't like the jerky movement, or would like to see it improved. What I saw in the demo, I thought the video had loaded wrong, or my connection was failing; if they could make it look more natural, I'd be on board. I happen to love the fear aspect of the series, and would like to see it preserved a little better.

But you're right, the ghosts were annoying.

Also, is that red blur on the left supposed to be a life bar? And if so, is it necessary?
Im not saying i wouldent like to see the fear element perserved, but i perfer to see a slightly unnerving and deppressing eviroment instead. I loved silent hill 2 because it dident go out of its way to be scary, but more just made me worried about James. The spooks for me are merely an added bonus, to the suberb writing.
There are much better videos though about the nurses movments, they have already smoothed it out about ill post it when i find it.
As for the movie, im pretty sure if there are silent hill fans who truly enjoyed that, then its pretty much immpossible for them to be dissapointed with this game. I feel the same way about origins but i wont go there.
And yes that is a life bar, and yea its kindof bothersome, Mb there will be an option to turn it off?
Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

I'm not going to condemn the entire game for one errant life bar...but it just seems unnecessary. I like the way SH1-3 handled it, with the screencap in the menu looking more and more distressed, and even having the controller rumble to the rhythm of a beating heart.

I guess I just don't like how it looks like a direction-of-fire indicator for an FPS.
Georgeo-0
Just Passing Through

Post by Georgeo-0 »

I guess they just wanted make it not very noticible, i do perfer the controller vibration teqnuiqe more. They did a fairly good job at keeping it small at least, its not like a big line of hearts in the top right corner or anything.
Although he is coming back from war, mb the fps direction indicator look is ment to be satirical lol.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Hmmm there is a few things I've seen that they've thrown in which have made me go "Really?... why would you do that?" Like QTE, bright blue/green on screen prompts telling you to jump over or climb up obstacles and the life bar. Who asked for these things? Probably the same people who asked for house on haunted hill 2.