To al the "whining" SH fans.. give SHH a chance!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

To al the "whining" SH fans.. give SHH a chance!

Post by TerryRed »

I originally said "Shut UP", but realised that was a bit harsh...

I love the Silent Hill series... the first game I played was SH2 on the PC when it first came out. I almost didn't play far because I didn't know what to do at the apartments... luckily 1 year later (just before SH3 came to PC) I got a non spoiler guide... and had to most amazing game experience of my life. Did i understand the game..not really, but i didn't care!

I then proceeded to find some of the various SH fan sites to get answers...and I then became one of you crasy SH fans. This was YEARS AGO. I had played all the games and have been on the many forums since.

Now we have the new game SHH around the corner..and all I have read for the last month is whining and bitching about stupid things and the game isn't even out yet...

Lets clear some things up shall we...

"SHH has a crappy trailer"

The ONLY SH game that had a really good trailer before was Silent Hill 4. (EVERYONE was geeked when they saw it) SH1 didn't show much, SH2 only have a good moment with James and Maria,SH3's trailer was a mess.... The only complaint about SHH trailer i have is Josh's voice... to out of place... the rest gets my blood pumping!

"SHH has terrible textures"

I've played or seen almost every new game out there, and the only game that has amazing textures when viewed close up is CRYSIS. All other Next Gen games have so-so textures here and there when viewed close up as well, so be fair here. I agree there are moments where SHH could be a bit crisper, but nothing THAT bad...

"The combat looks wrong or wierd in SHH"

No, actually SHH is the ONLY SH game to have the combat and shooting look RIGHT. All the previous games had terrible combat. Origins was better though (Toasters make a great thud don't they?)

"The monsters in SHH are copying from other games"

This has been the case with ALL the SH games (except 1 of course). SH3 nurses and closer were copied from SH2 nurses and the fence climbing thing. SH3 Valiel is PH without the Pyramid. SH4 got dogs from 3 and 1. Origins got Straight Jacket guys and nurses from SH2,etc...

I agree the first time I saw the Nurses and PH and the bugs in SHH I was bummed... but they do LOOK awesome and the other Monsters are VERY original and cool looking!

"I don't like the new camera view in SHH"

I wasn't too keen at first, but was very happy to see them make the change. The old camera is just that...old...very limiting. It was mainly designed around the limitations of memory on the old systems, so they could load in more stuuf for each room you enter... this also limits gameplay a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love SH1's alley way scenes, but most gamers out there don't like controls that change on you on the fly anymore. Maybe we will see some "alley" type views in the new game...who knows?

"Only 6 weapons total"

I agree, that Origins had awesome weapons, but we don't know for sure about the only 6 weapons comments made. We have seen more than that in pics...wait and see!

"If its not Team Silent..it will suck!"

I had this attitude at first when Origins was coming out... but after playing Origins i was blown away. I had very FEW complaints about Origins. It fixed a lot of the wrongs made in previous games, and still had good SH type atmosphere and "feeling". If we didn't know that it WASN'T Team Silent making it...people would have had very different opinions I think.

I am not saying SHH is perfect based on what we saw...but keep in mind we have been exposed to MUCH more of this game than any other SH game before they came out.

The complaints people have are mostly things that have LITTLE to do with the Silent Hill experience.

The experience we all crave comes from PLAYING the game alone at night with the lights off and no outside sounds using either headphones or a good sound system. We each knows what that means, and can't make a judgment on SHH until the game has been completed.

I for one went from some dissapointments (the dialogue trees, maybe) to TOTAL excitemet after seeing the more recent footage. I can't wait to play this game in my MAN CAVE in the basement with 7.1 sound, NO windows, 61" LED DLP TV running at 1920x1080p on my PC, and total confinment from the outside world!

Lets look forward to a good SH EXPERIENCE, with maybe some NEW suprises....
Last edited by TerryRed on 28 Sep 2008, edited 2 times in total.
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by DarkeningNightmare »

i totally agree with you. the game isn't even out yet and they judge prematurely. i think they're expecting to be let down so that they're not as disappointed if the game isn't up to par with the rest of them. it has to be better than origins, anyway.
"It is the end of days, and i am the Reaper."-Dark Alessa
Radical Dreamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Radical Dreamer »

If you're so certain the game is going to be great, why are the comments of a handful of people on the internet getting under your skin so much?

I choose to remain skeptical. It's really the best way to approach a situation like this. This way if the game is great, then awesome, a game I thought was going to be terrible was actually awesome. On the other hand, if the game is terrible then I haven't lost anything; at the very least I can say I'm better than your average SH fanboy who couldn't (or perhaps wouldn't) see the flop coming.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

I didn't say I was certain at all that it was going to be great. I said let's give it a chance, and addressed the complaints i've seen around.

I didn't feel too good about Origins until I played it and was very suprised by it. Hopefully we will get that from SHH.

Let's give SHH a chance before making so many conclusions about the game...

Note: I posted this the to al the "WHINING" SH fans... not ALL SH fans....

TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

I appreciate this thread, but don't you think it would've been better if you didn't make it two days before the game's release?
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

TheRedOne wrote:I appreciate this thread, but don't you think it would've been better if you didn't make it two days before the game's release?
Heheh... i agree. It doesn't come out for many others until 1.5 months from now. I just hope I can change some ppls minds about the game who never gave it a chance...

At the very least give it a rental...

DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by DarkeningNightmare »

with this being said, should we buy this game, despite the reviews and such, just to support the franchise and keep them making new ones? Even if the game is horrible?
"It is the end of days, and i am the Reaper."-Dark Alessa
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Great post, there are only a few points I disagree with you on though.
"The combat looks wrong or wierd in SHH"

No, actually SHH is the ONLY SH game to have the combat and shooting look RIGHT. All the previous games had terrible combat. Origins was better though (Toasters make a great thud don't they?)
Yes, the combat in the previous games was awkward at best sometimes. However, that never really bothered me because you have to remember you are playing as average, every day people put in an extraordinary situation. Harry was a writer, what combat experience would he have had? That's what was great about it, you weren't playing some highly trained soldier fighting against a bunch of zombies (Resident Evil). It made it feel more real.
"I don't like the new camera view in SHH"

I wasn't too keen at first, but was very happy to see them make the change. The old camera is just that...old...very limiting. It was mainly designed around the limitations of memory on the old systems, so they could load in more stuuf for each room you enter... this also limits gameplay a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love SH1's alley way scenes, but most gamers out there don't like controls that change on you on the fly anymore. Maybe we will see some "alley" type views in the new game...who knows?
This I must disagree with you on. From a technical perspective you may be correct, however that's not the point. I loved the camera from the previous games, especially SH1. I liked how at times they gave you the feeling someone was staring at you. Yes, it made for some cumbersome gameplay at times, but it still added an extra element to the overall atmosphere and feel (and fear) of the game.
The complaints people have are mostly things that have LITTLE to do with the Silent Hill experience.
Absolutely correct. Stop complaining and start playing, is what I say.

With all that being said, I am definitely going to give it a shot. I'm not terribly excited SHH is not being done by Team Silent, but I thoroughly enjoyed Origins. As long as they've got Yamaoka working with them, he'll keep them straight.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Mujina
Just Passing Through

Post by Mujina »

The Walkin Dude wrote:If you're so certain the game is going to be great, why are the comments of a handful of people on the internet getting under your skin so much?

I choose to remain skeptical. It's really the best way to approach a situation like this. This way if the game is great, then awesome, a game I thought was going to be terrible was actually awesome. On the other hand, if the game is terrible then I haven't lost anything; at the very least I can say I'm better than your average SH fanboy who couldn't (or perhaps wouldn't) see the flop coming.
- I cosign this statement.
' ... and as we gathered beneath Black Umbrellas. '
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

It is silly how some people complain and say something is bad before they have even played it. I have low expectations for this game but I cannot and won't pass judgement untill I have played it.

But untill then, I have low expectations. That way I won't be disappointed/
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Seriously, you can't state an honest opinion about this game without 784964673 fanboys crying about it and telling you to "shut up".

I think there are more people bitching about other people's bitching and defending this game than there are people actually complaining about it.
nobody is anybody
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

you're repeating every retort the SHH-hopefuls have for the SHH-haters. an entire topic of them wasn't really necessary.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

This topic was for the SHH haters speicfically who have already judged the game...

Not for those who have an opinion about one or two things....

Not to the fans who have some reservations....

Not to fans who don't like american developers....

Not to fans who don't like the trailer....

It's aimed a ppl who simply BASH the entire game without trying it first...

I bet you anything that if we NEVER knew that Teams Silent was not making the game...we wouldn't have half of these complaints...

Let the bashers come here (the point of this topic), so maybe they will change their mind...

If the game sucks I'll be the first to admit it.....

crucifix

Post by crucifix »

well aren't you a martyr.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Just too much time on my hands today... I usually don't post much...

You're right though.... :(

Reciever_Of_Wisdom
Just Passing Through

Post by Reciever_Of_Wisdom »

I understand the view- I've heard only disdain and grief over SH5- but I'll be the first to admit that I was there, spearheading the fury against the new development team. I didn't like the possible trade for action over atmosphere, or the repetition of stale themes from previous titles. But I cant wait to get my hands on the new copy and play it through, blinds shut and volume up.

I guess we're so used to getting a quality product from Konami and Team Silent that we can only notice the weakness before the success.
[size=67][color=red]If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.[/color][/size]