The "I GOT IT!" Thread + Spoiler-Free Impressions

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

This is in responce to oocladableeblah. you get props for asking.

What i mean by western horror is pretty general. Western Horror works in the sense of building anticipation. I've actually done lectures and written articles about western horror, ontop of my novelty writing duties, but i'm going to try and supress this from a 30 page document to a few paragraphs. If i loose anyone let me know and i will reiterate what i mean.
For the sake of explenation and tieing it into Silent Hill Homecomming, i'll talk about two types of western horror.

first, there is your more Terror oriented western horror. think of the movie Alien, which was about a creature on board a space ship, while the crew (who are basically a bunch of truck dirvers in the future) are trying to destroy it/ escape it. there's very little of this creature shown throughout the movie, and that created alot of anticipation for people sitting in the movie theatre watching it. the definition of Terror is the rise and build toward a moment where you know there's going to be something that will shock the conscience.

Second, there is Horror Western Horror. to the best of my definition, Horror is the sensation and feeling given when you come across a scene that has shocked the conscience. When i think about it, those Saw Movies are more horror oriented, becouse you see the things that are going to harm these people, in some cases you get to study them, and understand how they work. before any damage is afflicted, most people are mortified by the finctional victims situation.

Now, we can contrast eastern horror. Eastern Horror has been more of a phsychological elemement concering the evil of inner man. you can look at alot of the religions in that region of the world and see that their faith has alot to do with themselves. I'll use SH2 as an example. alot of the horror there came from two places, strange people and strange back story. James and his sick wife, Angela and her abusive father being turned into a monster representation of sorts. things kind of like that (i've never really had to explain eastern horror, if anyone has something to add, please do)

Silent Hill home comming has both of the Western Horror elements, and some eastern. for me, when i play through the earlier silent hill games, there was always something directly connected to a man, with some kind of explenation (if not many that could be theorized). the earlier silent hills had alot of taste when it came to blood and gore, they put thigns out there for a reason, and in the few instances team silent put somethign graphic in without much of a reason, there was either an easter egg (like james' corpse in front of the T.V. in silent hill 2) or it seemed to give the players the idea that this place doesnt just look bad, it can be deadly as well.

Hope that helped.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Note: I've temporarily Stickied this thread, in the hopes of cutting back on any repeat topics.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
oocladableeblah
Just Passing Through

Post by oocladableeblah »

DeSilva wrote:This is in responce to oocladableeblah. you get props for asking.

What i mean by western horror is pretty general. Western Horror works in the sense of building anticipation. I've actually done lectures and written articles about western horror, ontop of my novelty writing duties, but i'm going to try and supress this from a 30 page document to a few paragraphs. If i loose anyone let me know and i will reiterate what i mean.
For the sake of explenation and tieing it into Silent Hill Homecomming, i'll talk about two types of western horror.

first, there is your more Terror oriented western horror. think of the movie Alien, which was about a creature on board a space ship, while the crew (who are basically a bunch of truck dirvers in the future) are trying to destroy it/ escape it. there's very little of this creature shown throughout the movie, and that created alot of anticipation for people sitting in the movie theatre watching it. the definition of Terror is the rise and build toward a moment where you know there's going to be something that will shock the conscience.

Second, there is Horror Western Horror. to the best of my definition, Horror is the sensation and feeling given when you come across a scene that has shocked the conscience. When i think about it, those Saw Movies are more horror oriented, becouse you see the things that are going to harm these people, in some cases you get to study them, and understand how they work. before any damage is afflicted, most people are mortified by the finctional victims situation.

Now, we can contrast eastern horror. Eastern Horror has been more of a phsychological elemement concering the evil of inner man. you can look at alot of the religions in that region of the world and see that their faith has alot to do with themselves. I'll use SH2 as an example. alot of the horror there came from two places, strange people and strange back story. James and his sick wife, Angela and her abusive father being turned into a monster representation of sorts. things kind of like that (i've never really had to explain eastern horror, if anyone has something to add, please do)

Silent Hill home comming has both of the Western Horror elements, and some eastern. for me, when i play through the earlier silent hill games, there was always something directly connected to a man, with some kind of explenation (if not many that could be theorized). the earlier silent hills had alot of taste when it came to blood and gore, they put thigns out there for a reason, and in the few instances team silent put somethign graphic in without much of a reason, there was either an easter egg (like james' corpse in front of the T.V. in silent hill 2) or it seemed to give the players the idea that this place doesnt just look bad, it can be deadly as well.

Hope that helped.
Ok thanks :) I understand what you said.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Thanks for the input DeSilva! i remember reading an article (or review) yesterday which said the same things you stated about the story. how it was pretty much clear cut and only takes one play through to understand. they also mentioned the graphics being impressive.

i'll give some feedback tomorrow after i play it. hope to do a review at some point on gamefaqs or something, maybe post it here as well.
kunonabi
Just Passing Through

Post by kunonabi »

a spoon fed story is probably all we can expect at this point (sh4, SH:0) but my question is:

Does the game make you care about the characters? I mean do we really want to see alex find his brother? If i can get emotionally invested in the characters I can deal with not being wowed by the story.

how intrusive is the movie influence? is it just images and designs or does it actually affect the story? Does the game feel a like what somewhat natural extension of the series or bad fan fiction like SH4(i realize I took a shot but lets not make this a big deal)
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

Only got a round an hour and a half playing and I see exactly what DeSilva has been saying. I think it has potential, but the one thing that drives me nuts is the camera, I gotta say it pretty much makes it feel like a generic video game. Other than that, I'm still intrigued to see what has happened with Alex Shepherd.

The combat as well definitely makes me think I can take on anything, thus I am not necessarily freaked out to get into combat like I was in the past but again I'm not very far in the game...
Det Som Engang Var...
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

kunonabi wrote:a spoon fed story is probably all we can expect at this point (sh4, SH:0) but my question is:

Does the game make you care about the characters? I mean do we really want to see alex find his brother? If i can get emotionally invested in the characters I can deal with not being wowed by the story.

how intrusive is the movie influence? is it just images and designs or does it actually affect the story? Does the game feel a like what somewhat natural extension of the series or bad fan fiction like SH4(i realize I took a shot but lets not make this a big deal)
For me, i did care about the main character, he seems pretty honest about his goals in the game, and the fact that he cares for his brother, and that most of his adventure revolves around him finding his brother, is touching. Also a couple of the supporting characters are worthy of Silent Hill. But i think the story really puts a limit on how you feel about them in a few places. I'll wait before i say anything, but watch Judge Halloway when she shows up the first time and throughout the rest of the game. I like how dynamic her character is, in a way she made me think of a SH2 Eddie who's not psychotic and has a rhyme to her reason.

the movie influences are recognizable. the order, a few places you wind up visitng, character models are all very similar. they didnt construct the order the same way it was in the movie. You get something of an established feeling about the order later on in the game (i could give examples, but no spoilers). In the movie you could feel sympathy for the order becouse most of them were lead astray and were pretty much clinging onto their beliefs and lives by a thread.

I would say the story in a way parallels the movie, at least in the first part of the game, later on it deviates. I sincerely dont think DH meant to be that close to the movie. really, it's definately a Silent Hill game, but it works in ways that don't match up with what we know as Silent Hill.

I absolutely hate to say this; but i certainly woudlnt say it unless i meant it: this game feels closer to RE4 than SH in terms of gameplay and sometimes the direction the character/story takes you. But that is totally my opinion, and i'm not trying to discourage anyone from playing it and seeing for themselves.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

DeSilva wrote:
kunonabi wrote: I absolutely hate to say this; but i certainly woudlnt say it unless i meant it: this game feels closer to RE4 than SH in terms of gameplay and sometimes the direction the character/story takes you. But that is totally my opinion, and i'm not trying to discourage anyone from playing it and seeing for themselves.

NOOOOO You can't say that!!!! Lol! I'm still waiting for my game....that airplane better hurry up *shakes fist*. I hope the flaws in the game aren't like a major let down.
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

Varg6 wrote:Only got a round an hour and a half playing and I see exactly what DeSilva has been saying. I think it has potential, but the one thing that drives me nuts is the camera, I gotta say it pretty much makes it feel like a generic video game. Other than that, I'm still intrigued to see what has happened with Alex Shepherd.

The combat as well definitely makes me think I can take on anything, thus I am not necessarily freaked out to get into combat like I was in the past but again I'm not very far in the game...
yeah, i miss the old third person, fixed perspective. I mean it's neat to explore the world in SHH with teh way the camera works, but it doesnt add anything to narrative. I think a floating camera encites a sense of bravado and safety, becouse you can see everything. the fixed camera keeps you wondering, thinking.
I think in this case Double Helix was too busy thinking about weather or not they could make something happen, instead of asking if they should do so in the first place. Just becouse something is neat doesnt mean it belongs in your game/story/music, ect ect. you really have to take time to figure out what fits and what doesnt. The camera may have big one great big downfall in this game.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

Im about two hours in and I have to say a few things real quick:
1.Double Helix has captured the fright factor easily, so far I rate the horror above SH4 and 0rigins but below 1/2/3
2.I really dont see the problem with the combat system, I find that if I make the slightest mistake in combat I get stuck in a situation which leaves me in a panic as I try to get another heads up on the monster
3.Loving the story, characters and settings thus far can't wait to see what else the game holds!
Sorry for the short little review but im in the middle of playing, I might revise the post as I get farther if something changes...
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Pfft! I want my game now! Lol. Sucks that I still have to wait for the import....but it's only approx a week...better then a whole month and a half
ImmortalGrey
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ImmortalGrey »

ALRIGHT!

I just now got home from work, stuffed some pizzaa down my face, and now I'm ready to delve into MADNESS! :D :D

I plan on playing til it's done. I switched with my other manager at work so I could do this and hopefully still get a few hours of sleep, but if not, I'll just stay awake. :D

Be back afterwards with impressions! :twisted:
[b][i]Out of my head and I don't know what I found.
Over and over I feel it break me down.
On the sidewalk of the city.
Are my screams just a whisper? [/b][/i]
TANK
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TANK »

I get to pick mine up saturday, they had it at 2 other stores in my area today... but my gf pre-ordered from the wrong store!!!! i was sooo mad, then she gave me the whole"isnt saturday good enough?" i had to bend over and say..."yes." but holy hell was i mad!
It's a world of someone's nightmarish dillusions come to life.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

out of work....NOW. I'm going to pick it up. Wish me well.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
verychillyicemilk
Hope House Careworker

Post by verychillyicemilk »

Well! Hope it's good! I'm going to place an import order tomorrow.
https://soundcloud.com/conor_hedley
http://conor-hedley.tumblr.com/
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Yes, I finally have it and so far I've gotten through the entire hospital dream sequence in on setting.

It's quite good so far, despite its heavily mixed reviews. All I can say is so far so good. The opening level was very intense and in some spots downright creepy. I'm really liking it so far!

:D
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

It still hasn't hit stores around my place. I'm getting impatient!
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

I just picked up the game for the PS3 and a Dualshock 3 controller. I have really been enjoying the game so far. I played through the first two hours, and it has that unmistakable "Silent Hill Feel" to it. I really enjoyed exploring the Shepherd house and surrounding areas. The house was really the highlight though, and I loved the music that played in it. There is so much stuff to examine, more stuff than the previous games I think, and I got a kick out of the nod to the hole quote: "There was a picture here, it's gone now." I didn't have any trouble getting used to the new movement controls, but I am still having a bit of trouble with the combat, namely performing the dodge command correctly. I've only two three complaints so far: there is no quick-turn command, enemy corpses don't bleed-out when they are on the ground, and you don't leave bloody footprints when walking over corpses. Those are all very minor though, and although I miss having those features, it hasn't interfered with my enjoyment of the game. I give Homecoming a big Thumbs Up so far.
Last edited by Terminus on 02 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Got and I'm about two hours into it. So far I have NOTHING negative to say. I'm loving it! :D
skydork
Just Passing Through

Post by skydork »

I got it didn't get to far but Ihave a job and can't be plaing it non stop thru the night. Although I wish I could I mean its the best time to play a silent hill game.