The "I GOT IT!" Thread + Spoiler-Free Impressions

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

So I'm on my 3rd Playthrough now and last night I spent well over 4 hours solid playing it, and I have to say that I like it a lot more now. I'm beginning to put aside the small snags and appriciate it for what it is, and it's a good game. I actually want to keep playing unlike 4 where I just don't.

That's my two cents anyway.
alisonclmbs
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by alisonclmbs »

Finally got a PS3 the other day, so guess what game I purchased with it? LOL

Anyway, I must say I like the graphics. The controls are Ok but you definitely need to get used to it because its very ackward at first.
The storyline seems very interesting and it caught my attention from the start
I'm only like an hour or so into it, but so far I really like it. Look forward to beating the game so I can post in the SHH spoiler section! :mrgreen:
"A man chooses. A slave obeys" Andrew Ryan-Bioshock

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/maddartist/heathersig.jpg[/img]

Thx to Maddartist for my avatar & banner
blueoccult

Post by blueoccult »

Yah, so I finally got around to playing this game, and I am some where into the cemetery level and I must say, its not too bad. There are a few things that really pisses me off about it, so much to where I was ready to quit playing the game, but the damned thing wouldn't let me. Why, you might ask? Because I could not find a fucking save point! After the beginning, where I found maybe three save points in a matter of 30 minutes, it took me a few hours to find another once I got to where the game really starts. That aside, I really hate how there are not alot of items, and how when there are items, they are in the most obscure places (ie a health drink hiding in a garden) and how the only times I get stuck is when I can't see where they want me to go (ie, pressing the button on the opposite wall for the elevator, or the door in the shadows that is exactly the same color as the wall it is in) I dont know, maybe Im just blind or something. But other than that, the game is wonderful. Nice scares, story seems pretty decent from what I can tell so far, though I am still very early into the game. I remember reading that alot of you had troubles with the combat system. So far I haven't had any major problems yet, though I am still getting used to the dodge thingy. But yeah, thats what I got so far, nice game all in all, just have a few things that I wish they would have fixed.
flown
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by flown »

hm..well..my opinion of the game

controls are something you have to get used to, not very silent hill-like and not so cool. i rather see my efforts get drawn to understanding the story then mastering buttons. i started playing with the keyboard, then got sick of it and bought a controller and it became even worse..i've been stuck on the second boss for ages because of this..cutscenes are indeed less beautifull then those in sh1 in my opinion, which is very strange.for instance the teeth look horrible.just compare them to 'siren:blood course' cutscenes and you'll be just as pissed konami didn't hire the original creators again.

on the other hand i think this game is a good effort, good looking monsters, some cool environments, but it doesn't feel like silent hill anymore. I do however think it's still a good horror game.
Long before the existence of Silent Hill, the ground there was seen as sacred by native americans and it was the place where rituals occured...

[img]http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/vollublevolar/homecoming-1-5-1-1.jpg[/img]
mickceyisloco
Just Passing Through

Post by mickceyisloco »

my sister has my cash card so i have to wait till tommorow to get it :|
well i guess i can just hamer COD4 al night then leave first thig tommorow morning :D
I Am The Sun Still I Sit Alone In A [color=#BF0000]Red[/color] Sky.
SpearOfDestiny
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by SpearOfDestiny »

GOT IT!!!

It took me completley by surprise, Play.com gave me the impression that it wouldn't be delivered until 3 days after, so I was dead excited when I saw the white package waiting for me.

My first impression of the game was that it is much better than I anticipated. Frame rate is poor and the facial expression are a bit off, but that's about all my complaining done for now.

As far as the combat goes, I really don't think it's that bad. It get's a bit tricky when fighting more that one enemy and it's very sluggish. However the executions are really satisfying and you can feel the crunch of every impact.

Yeah, so I'm not very far in yet, but I like what I've seen so far. The puzzles have been very straightforeward, so here's hoping that they beocme more complex as the game progresses.

I'm gonna go play it some more now :P
[img]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7513/spearofdestinysigyd7.gif[/img]

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/DancinMonkeh][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/DancinMonkeh.gif[/img][/url]
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I HAS IT.

A day after it came out, but why not, eh?

Love it so far, excellent battle system, definately not as bad as I thought it'd be. Best part: Allll the wonderful nurse titties bouncing around like laser beams. Mmm, mm, mmm.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

^ Lmao - I did an attack when I first started playing and Alex grabbed one of the nurses boobs when he was attacking her.

I'm liking it (and I'm thankful for that after months and months of waiting) - I wasn't expecting it to be a Team Silent master piece, but my first impressions are that Double Helix have made a solid effort. I'll be able to make a better decision once I get a bit further into the story, but I'm definitely liking it :)

One more thing I'm liking, are the subtle (ok, maybe not that subtle) references to Silent Hill 2! It makes me feel like a geek :lol:
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

Got it today.. no wait, yesterday (didn't notice that the day has changed) and been playing for at least 7 hours. Of course I had some prejudices over it with the new fighting system and all but I LOVE it! I love the fighting, the enemies, the references, the music, the feel, everything. I even consider Alex my favourite protagonist already.

One would say that the extreme challenge after the previous Silent Hills is as fun as a kick to the groin but I'm taking that kick with a smile on my face. I like the challenge.

If you'll excuse me I'll return to play it. My thumbs had their rest.
Mantorok Narokath Redgormor
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

GOT IT!!! I thought it had been banned in Australia, next minute it's staring me in the face (I found it by accident)> I quickly grabbed it off the shelf and rented it.
I LOVE IT! The atmosphere is beautiful and they need more items around. Other than that, the story so far has sucked me in, and I just want to keep playing. I have to agree that Alex is now my favorite protagonist and 10 minutes into the game I'm already feeling connected to him. The music is great and I love watching the intro trailer. The game play is effing hard, and at one point I wanted to smash the controls but I beat it :D :D :D
Smoky
Just Passing Through

Post by Smoky »

I've just gotten into Shephards Glen. The opening part of the game scared the crap out of me, even when I was playing in the daylight. I haven't felt that kind of fear for a long time.
The fact that he can knock things over and make huge random clanging noises also scared me.
I liked the ambience in the nightmare scene - the sound effects. The crackles of electricity, which only really figured out after the first few memos. I like that little effects like that link up - the sound effects connect with the clues that we read. That's good horror right there.

What I don't like is the amount of references to the movie - the nurses, the sparks and puffs of smoke coming out of the floor grating in the nightmare scene, the swarms, the giant fans, etc. But its not a huge deal.
I also don't like the lack of save points in the early part of the game - surely there should be one somewhere in Alex's house, as illogical as that is?

The house itself gives me the creeps in a major way, which is great. I'm also liking the storyline, and the big nod to Jacob's Ladder in the opening scene. I like Alex as a character so far. Can't wait to get back into the game!
Listen, all I want out of life is for my bank account to have 58,008 dollars in it, so that when I read my statement upside down, it says "BOOBS".
Arachnid1
Just Passing Through

Post by Arachnid1 »

Smoky wrote:I've just gotten into Shephards Glen. The opening part of the game scared the crap out of me, even when I was playing in the daylight. I haven't felt that kind of fear for a long time.
The fact that he can knock things over and make huge random clanging noises also scared me.
I liked the ambience in the nightmare scene - the sound effects. The crackles of electricity, which only really figured out after the first few memos. I like that little effects like that link up - the sound effects connect with the clues that we read. That's good horror right there.

What I don't like is the amount of references to the movie - the nurses, the sparks and puffs of smoke coming out of the floor grating in the nightmare scene, the swarms, the giant fans, etc. But its not a huge deal.
I also don't like the lack of save points in the early part of the game - surely there should be one somewhere in Alex's house, as illogical as that is?

The house itself gives me the creeps in a major way, which is great. I'm also liking the storyline, and the big nod to Jacob's Ladder in the opening scene. I like Alex as a character so far. Can't wait to get back into the game!
Thats pretty much my opinion on it.

I'm about half way through the game in Silent Hill. Everything has been amazing. You got some freakin intense moments ahead of you dude.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

Smoky wrote:I've just gotten into Shephards Glen. The opening part of the game scared the crap out of me, even when I was playing in the daylight. I haven't felt that kind of fear for a long time.

Yeah I loved the nod to Jacob's Ladder. It was exhillerating (sp?). But I must say I liked the nods to the SH movie too. The save point thing bothered me too, though.
Aldo
Just Passing Through

Post by Aldo »

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread for this, as I've had the game since release. But I recently started it up again (got to a certain point and gave up while back, going to try to run through it now), and I got to say the opening nightmare scene had me shaking the whole time. This game sure knows how to do creepy, even knowing where all the enemies were still made me tense.
One more soul to the call, for all, in silence...
Comes two more souls to the call, for all, and in time!
Three more more souls to the call, they fall...
Unknowing that four more souls to the call, won't be all, and you know it!
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

Well there's a thread here where we've talked about how SHSM scared us, which parts, why.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

...so?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

o.O And a discussion about how scary Shattered Memories was/n't is pertinent to Homecoming exactly how?
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Edit:

AH, ok, sorry. I didn't realize this was about Homecoming. I misread Nightmare Sequence for, well, the nightmare chases in SHSM, and, my bad.
Last edited by cascade88 on 23 Feb 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

And it definitely was the right place, because this is a Homecoming section, not a Shattered Memories one.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

^ Yeah, I realized my mistake, and edited my posted. I really am sorry for being confused and doing that. I'll make sure I know which thread I'm in next time, before assuming.