Mirror, Mirror/Shepard's Glen

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Mirror, Mirror/Shepard's Glen

Post by SHACKled89451 »

I've noticed something while playing this game that seems to be very recurrent... Mirrors, they seem to pop up everywhere and are quite hard to ignore in most cases... But what I noticed is that Alex's reflection is always blurred out, no matter which mirror your looking in, otherworld or not... Maybe I'm just noticing a small nuance of the game.. but I doubt it's a graphical issue, and all the other textures are very sharp...

The effect is very pronounced, they want you to notice his reflection is not quite right... It reminds me of lucid dreaming, like when you do a reality check while in your lucid dream, such as flip a light switch and nothing happens, or, look in the mirror, you won't see your true reflection, and if you figure that out, you enter a lucid state and are able to control your dream. And I get the disticnt feeling when I see his distorted reflection that I'm dreaming.. it's a pretty neat effect. That was just my take on it.. So, why do you guys think Alex's reflection is blurred?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by SHACKled89451 on 25 Feb 2009, edited 3 times in total.
revalations 23:16
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

He just got a phone call, he's only got 7 days to live.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The American games want to make mirrors MAGIKZ.

Oh, and yea, he has a severe identity/self-perception crisis. You know.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

^Oh, and yea, he has a severe identity/self-perception crisis. You know.

Pretty much that.

I think at some point in the game his reflection disappears altogether. At least, that's what I've heard. Not that far in yet...
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

sounds interesting I haven't played the game yet, but please by all means bring on the spoilers. My buddy is thinking of getting it sometime next week.. but I will have to wait for him to get it first. Because I do not have any of the current systems, or the money at this time to get them.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

I'm at the Prison right now and I too have noticed that Alex's reflection is blurry. I noticed it the first time I saw a mirror but wondered if it was just an effect. Writing this I realize how much sense that doesn't make though. I haven't noticed his reflection disappear completely yet.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

I don't think his reflection disappears unless I missed something
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Also, remember the combat knife you get early on in the game is found lodged into a mirror...

Any takers? :D
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

TheRedOne wrote:Also, remember the combat knife you get early on in the game is found lodged into a mirror...

Any takers? :D
Alex wants to kill himself? D:

AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, he does.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

No...

I just thought maybe it was used to symbolize the death of his old self and also show what the war has done to him. I think that's a reasonable guess.
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Yea, he does.
OIC.

>_>;
I just thought maybe it was used to symbolize the death of his old self and also show what the war has done to him. I think that's a reasonable guess.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there wasn't much of an 'old self' to kill. From the journal entries, Alex was always had this, considering his parents treated Josh better.

SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Yea, he does.
And how did you come to that conclusion? I'll admitt I haven't finished the game yet but, I'll bet this blurry reflection thing is an important part of ALex's eventual fate...
Shepherd
Just Passing Through

Post by Shepherd »

I dont think he wanted to kill himself...I think it refers to Alex killing a part of himself by killing his brother...And not remembering it might be some sort of self-inflicted pain..

The knife is stucked right at his throat when you look at it right in front of the mirror
In my restless dreams...I see that town...
Tank Girl
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tank Girl »

I don't really think that the knife in the mirror has any real significance... but if it does, I haven't quite figured it out myself.

As for the mirrors being blurry, in dream interpretation...

To see your own reflection in the mirror, suggests that you are pondering thoughts about your inner self. The reflection in the mirror is how you perceive yourself or how you want others to see you. You may be contemplating on strengthening and changing aspects of your character.

To see a fogged mirror in your dream, signifies a hazy concept of who you are and questions about your self-identity. You are confused in your goals in life an you may have a lack of clarity in a purpose.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/pezkore][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/pezkore.png[/img][/url]

PSN: pezkore
Shepherd
Just Passing Through

Post by Shepherd »

I dont think he wanted to kill himself...I think it refers to Alex killing a part of himself by killing his brother...
In my restless dreams...I see that town...
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Shepherd wrote:I dont think he wanted to kill himself...I think it refers to Alex killing a part of himself by killing his brother...
Dude, this may be the spoiler section, but that doesn't mean you have to ruin the whole fuckin game for me... and anyone else unlucky enough to read your post. You could have warned us before dropping the biggest spoiler of the game.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

Well, it is the spoiler section.

If you don't want to spoil the game, wait until you've finished it until you hit the spoiler forums just to be safe.
Crimsonsloth
Just Passing Through

Post by Crimsonsloth »

Shackled why are you not playing the game and looking at the spoilers anyway... that's just asking for trouble.
Who has time for tears?
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

it may be the spoiler section, but you should still mark spoilers for when the two threads are eventually combined. don't want to ruin it for people who show up further down the line.